SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Reaching The Nations

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Reaching The Nations

I'm wondering what your opinions are on why the western church seems to be failing these days in its call to "go and make disciples of all nations." Long-term missionaries are coming off the field in huge numbers (many having served faithfully for years), yet relatively few believers are "replacing" them ... relatively few are heading out on a long-term basis to reach the nations. Any thoughts?

2004/5/9 21:47Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Reaching The Nations

It is a good question. A guess might be the type of 'gospel' that is being preached in this part of the world, the one that is all about 'me'.

2004/5/10 10:04Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

Perhaps because so much of the western institutional church has lost its fire and has been won over by the world. It's to the point where the Christians in China, Russia, S. Korea, etc. should send missionaries to us, not the other way around.

I think that being a long-term missionary requires a deep spiritual life that is increasingly rare in the U.S., Canada, Europe, etc. This is visible also in that we have hardly any men (or women) of God whom we can trust as prophetic voices, and not even very many who will stand up publicly against the blatant evils taking place in our nations, nor who will stand up publicly to declare the Word of God in evangelism, warning, or such.

May God bring the wayward to repentance, and fill His faithful with His Holy Spirit, and have all of us serve Him in loving holiness as long as we live.

2004/5/10 11:13Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

Thanks for the responses! I might want to qualify my question a bit by saying that when I say the western "church", I really mean those people who are truly born-again, wholehearted followers of Jesus. (As opposed to those in the churches who only call themselves Christians.) So my question would be ... why aren't the real Christians going out to reach the nations like Jesus has called us to? Especially when there is so much access to the gospel in most western countries like the U.S.? As Oswald J. Smith once said, "No one has the right to hear the gospel twice, while there remains someone who has not heard it once." And Keith Green - in one of his final messages - said something to the effect that if God has not called us to stay, then we are called to go. (You can read one of his articles about this at http://www.lastdaysministries.org/nations/whyyoushouldgo.html )

That may a bit radical - even for my tastes - but the point is worth debating. Especially since we, the true church, still have a huge problem in raising up and sending out laborers to reach the unreached nations of the world. Again - what's the problem? Why the disobedience? Why the focus on reaching our "Jerusalems" and not on taking the gospel to the "ends of the earth?"

2004/5/10 18:55Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re:

Yes there is a world to be saved.I believe the lord said for us all go ye unto all the world. america needs to be save and strenghtend. mostly from her owen self. No prayer in school. can't talk to others about the lord at work. ten commandments being removed from the courthouses. america is being bond by the laws that were ment to protect the church members from the state gov. I thank the LORD for thou's who are going out to the mission fields i've a Brother who has just moved to turkey, he and his family. so there are thous who are answering the call to go. I ask prayer for them in Jesus name. amen

2004/5/10 19:33Profile
Gideons

Virginia

Re:

I believe God is sending missionaries to the U.S. I tell some of my friends who are pastors from other countries that God has sent them here. God always works back and forth between His people.

Why are we (i.e. the Western world) doing such a poor job of reaching the world for Christ? I think part of it is that we're unaccustomed to experiencing persecution. It's surely one of the great blessings in the scriptures, but we seem (myself included) tend to avoid it like the plague. Perhaps we're more concerned about being comfortable and that results in complacency (e.g. Laedocia).

The persecuted church throughout the world expects to be persecuted and that draws them closer to God. That doesn't seem to be happening in the U.S.. Could unbelief be the root cause?

Whatever the cause, Lord we pray that you remove this selfish attitude from our hearts. We have churches everywhere but where are your people in the midst of the harvest? God send us to wherever you want us to go, whether that be down the street to someone who doesn't know you or to remotest places in the world. Stir up the gifts you placed in our heart and transform us through this relationship with the Living God. Amen.

2004/5/10 19:37Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

I can for one say that God has most certaintly called me to be a missionaries to other countries. And it's not just the whole only American can save the world, but to train up nationals to reach their fellow countrymen/women in a way I never could.

2004/5/10 23:28Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

That's great, Everlast! Exciting to see what God has called you to ... and your heart in following that call!

2004/5/11 0:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy