SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : no more kjv

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
coops

no more kjv

I'm not a regular poster on these forums. However, I do lurk and read a lot. I've been around and seen these issues come around so many times.

All I can say is that these sorts of discussions have so much potential to be divisive. I love theology, and let's go deep in discussion about it, but lets remember there are different types of theological discussions: Dogmas (the non-negotiable), Doctrines (the stuff you can have different views about, but still be saved), and Adiophora (the stuff that is generally irrelevant to life and sound doctrine, if we never resolve it, it will never make any difference).

I believe the "KJV only" discussion fits firmly into this category. Let's not bring up more stuff to argue about, and walk away with no application to our lives or ministry besides the translation we read.

2007/8/23 8:50Profile
coops

Re: no more kjv

And I havent posted for so long I hit the stupid "Post New Topic" button instead of appending my reply to that KJV thread! How embarrassing! :-P

2007/8/23 8:52Profile

Re:

Jesus was [b]very[/b] divisive... and even said that He intended to be divisive. Are you suggesting that we avoid discussing Jesus too?

If you've lurked here for a long time, then how in the world did you miss all the great, civil, friendly discussions we've had over the KJV in the past 12 months?

Just because something might be divisive doesnt mean we must avoid it.

Krispy

2007/8/23 8:57

Re:

Quote:
Jesus was very divisive... and even said that He intended to be divisive. Are you suggesting that we avoid discussing Jesus too?

Come on Krispy, thats not what I got out of his post, your taking this to an extreme. We know that we are always to talk about Jesus and even the things that were divisive in His ministry. The poster was trying to convey that in regards to [b]translation and salvation[/b] we shouldn't walk away from the forum thinking that our brother is not saved because he reads the NIV and not the KJV. 8-)

2007/8/23 10:02

Compliments... I think you're correct. I misunderstood the post. Sorry coops. My bad.

Let me address this:

Quote:
Adiophora (the stuff that is generally irrelevant to life and sound doctrine, if we never resolve it, it will never make any difference).

I believe the "KJV only" discussion fits firmly into this category.

I disagree with this assertion. I believe the version one reads is extremely relevant to life and sound doctrine, and it makes a great difference.

Yes, one can be saved and not ever use a KJV. But I personally believe this is a very relevant topic when discussing sound doctrine. And whats interesting to me is that most folks who prefer modern versions usually dont think versions make a difference concerning doctrine... but I have never met a KJV supporter who didnt think it makes a big difference.

So on that point, we do not agree. And I believe it is a very worthy topic for discussion. There is a wonderful testimony on the other KJV thread that bears witness to that fact.

:-)

Krispy

2007/8/23 10:32
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re: Really

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote::

Quote:
Adiophora (the stuff that is generally irrelevant to life and sound doctrine, if we never resolve it, it will never make any difference).

I believe the "KJV only" discussion fits firmly into this category.

I disagree with this assertion. I believe the version one reads is extremely relevant to life and sound doctrine, and it makes a great difference.

How to say this without you getting prickly... :-( .

I do not think that it has got much to do with versions, but everything to do with the people who are our 'teachers'. If someone who reads the niv teaches spirit filled correct doctrine, then it is spirit filled correct doctrine. It is not dependent on the version you read but on the teaching that you receive from the word.

Fire in the hole...I'll get my helmet. :-P

2007/8/23 12:10Profile

Re:

Fire at will!!

Just kidding... I would agree with you for the most part. I'm not knocking teaching because God has gifted some thru His Holy Spirit to be teachers. But in the church today there is an over reliance on teachers, and I think thats why we're in so much trouble.

I think the believer has an obligation to study to show themselves approved... on their own. The Bereans utilized teachers, but at the same time they studied scripture on their own to see if what they were being taught was true.

And that is where versions make a difference.

See... I threw you a soft ball. Quit whimpering in the corner of your foxhole! lol

Krispy

2007/8/23 12:18
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
But in the church today there is an over reliance on teachers, and I think thats why we're in so much trouble.

Well from my church background, that is why leadership is so important. From what i can gather you understand just how important leadership is in a local assembly. It pains me to say this but most folk are just plain sheep, the just follow what they are told(taught). In my mind this does'nt make much sense. Added to your scripture is Peters admonishen to give a reason for the hope we have.

If you are going to give your life for something at least have the common sense to find our why, but alas the majority of folk are not like that.

Quote:

I think the believer has an obligation to study to show themselves approved... on their own. The Bereans utilized teachers, but at the same time they studied scripture on their own to see if what they were being taught was true.

I have wondered about the implications of this verse. The fact that he went into a synagogue at least gives us a little clue that they would have known what the word was. My point is that they at least could look and see and test what was being said. Many believers, and I think you would agree, have no clue what even John 3:16 says. Whether they have a KJV, NIV, ASV, Good news etc is not the issue, they just plain don't know the bible. In saying that though, the most dangerous people by a country mile (to borrow an Americanism) are those who think that they know the bible or at least think they know what it says.

Quote:

See... I threw you a soft ball.

I am truly surprised, God does work modern day miracles. :-P
Quote:
Quit whimpering in the corner of your foxhole!

Sorry mate, this board is not big enough for the both of us. I'd rather sit in my foxhole and watch while the Christians chop each other up. I just care a bit to much for the members of this site and for Greg to stand up for every perceived error. I must admit though that it has been really good for the last while.

Anyway, all the best..

2007/8/23 14:26Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Jesus was [b]very[/b] divisive... and even said that He intended to be divisive. Are you suggesting that we avoid discussing Jesus too?

If you've lurked here for a long time, then how in the world did you miss all the great, civil, friendly discussions we've had over the KJV in the past 12 months?

Just because something might be divisive doesnt mean we must avoid it.

Krispy

It's interesting to note that rock music isn't mentioned in the Bible and neither are Bible translations.

Jordan

2007/8/23 16:12Profile
wildhorse86

These debates often end in tears. Sometimes, some people who say KJV ONLY! Seem to take on a 'I'm holier than you' persona.

I use NIV because it is easier to read. The bible no matter what version including KJV will most likely have small translation errors. If you can bring someone to Christ with it, does it really matter if I used a recent translation or an old one? Stop bickering over such minor things. If one can tell me why KJV is so much better... Go for it. I'm listening.

God bless
Michael

2007/8/23 17:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy