SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : KJV - yes, thats the version for me!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
And I got to tell you Krispy, how you managed to get so great a thread and response from this title (KJV - yes, thats the version for me!)... All of you here, just wonderful, have me reminiscing

Hey Mike, how's it, brutha!

This is one of those times that I sit back and think... wow, this was a God thing. I just wanted to hit the "re-set" button. I guess I did! lol

This is so refreshing.

Krispy

2007/8/23 7:22

Re:

Quote:
Anyways, about the KJV. Half a year ago someone posted that legendary thread, "Call me KJV Only if..." It had a profound influence on me. (does someone know where it is?) After much study I concluded that, as best as I can see, (and not wanting to injure anyone here) the Textus Receptus is the purest of sources and was providentially preserved.

[b]theopenlife[/b]... you made my day. There have been times when discussing this issue on this forum that people have informed me that I'm wasting my time... that I'm not convincing anyone (as tho I could!)... that this topic only divides...

And then you write that post, and shows me that yea... God still does use me, despite myself.

And by the way, I've discussed this issue with a ton of people here, and not all come to the same conclusions you and I have about the KJV. I'm ok with that! If I can just get people to [b]THINK[/b] and examine this issue, I'm satisfied. At least if someone is going to disagree with me on this, I want them to know why they do. I hate gullibility, and I depise bumper-sticker theology. "Study to show thyself approved", says the Word.

Thanx again... that was very encouraging!

Krispy

2007/8/23 7:29

Re:

Jeannette... I'm not against people discussing politics. Heck, I listen to Glenn Beck most days. I'm just saying that getting into "party politics" is not what this forum is about. No doubt there will be some discussion of government over the next year as we head toward another election... oh boy. I just pray we all keep our heads about us.

I noticed that beginning sometime soon XM Radio is going to have a channel that is dedicated to nothing but election coverage. I can feel a migrain coming on just thinking about it. Who would want to listen to that 24/7 ??

When I was younger I was gung-ho politics. I saw Ronald Reagan when he was campaigning in 1984. I was a senoir in high school that fall. (Class of '85) Got to see him give a speech in person. Our school took us all to the campaign stop as a field trip.

I used to love to argue politics, and Bill Clinton certainly gave us plenty to argue about.

But now that I'm older (I'll be 40 next month)... I'm finding that altho I have strong political views, in the long run what does it matter? The most important thing is that we tell people about Jesus.

Krispy

2007/8/23 7:56
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

ccchhhrrriiisss, do you own a NIV-Greek interlinear? Go through some of Paul's letters. You don't have to know very much Greek to see that there are instances where the same Greek word is used over and over in the same section of the letter but translated several different ways. For instance, in Colossians, the Greek word for "all" is used pretty ubiquitously, and yet the translators turned it into "all", "many", "most", "some", etc. From my basic understanding of Greek, and having read much research on translations, common Greek is very straightforward and clear, making it much more easy to translate than what the NIV defenders make it out to be. Sure, there are spots in the NIV that are better representations than other versions, but in general, the translators took WAY too much liberty for me to be comfortable trusting it. They have given us an interpretation, not a translation.

Just my 2 cents 8-)

2007/8/23 9:02Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

here was another thread that greatly helped me and was absolutely wonderful in everything, not divisive or anything. And i was very blessed by this thread [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16706&forum=36]What bible translation to get?[/url]

2007/8/23 9:07Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
I've been around SI for two years, but only began posting six months ago.

Same here except I only started posting about four months ago.
Quote:
I have such affection for the brothers and sisters here that I've come to hold as family.

I share the exact same sentiment even though I'm probably a little more of an outsider anyway. I suppose I should have given a formal introduction but I bypassed it :-(
I guess it's never too late.

As I've watched the threads over the past few months I've noticed (and I've been just as guilty to my shame) that much of what goes on here (especially in the past two months) is that we can't seem to just enjoy the fellowship inspite of doctrinal or theological differences and so everyone is out to "fix" the other guys "bad" doctrine and it is resulting more and more in a loss of the feeling of comradery that seems to have been so prevalent before. Let me first of all say I'm truly very sorry for the part that I have played in all that.:cry:
God is teaching me to shut up and think long and hard before I say anything, on the forums and otherwise.
I too have noticed that the arguments are what attract people and I'm learning to not participate in them even though I still read many of them (except politics :-P . I've never been able to develope an interest in politics or sports!)

theopenlife,
I really, really appreciated your post on the "thee's" and "thou's". I knew that but never got smart enough to think about it while reading. You've struck me with something that I think will put a lot of new meaning in reading the Bible.

I haven't studied it out a whole lot so I can't tell you much about the "other sources" but I do much prefer the KJV over the other translations simply because there seems to be so much more depth and authority in it. It seems like the more recent the translation the worse they get until you end up with things like "The Message" that are so buchered that I can't with a clear conscience call it the word of God. Shameful.
Just a personal thing here, but I also love the old english for the beauty of it. It's so much more expressive than modern english.
I've also studied french quite a bit and really enjoy reading my Ostervald along side my KJV. (The Ostervald is the only french translation from the TR that's still obtainable today.)

2007/8/23 9:15Profile

Re:

Krispy wrote
When I was younger I was gung-ho politics. I saw Ronald Reagan when he was campaigning in 1984. I was a senoir in high school that fall. (Class of '85) Got to see him give a speech in person. Our school took us all to the campaign stop as a field trip.

moe_mac wrote:

I too have discussed politics much in my life, not as much now though, as in the past. I will not name any party I supported then or support now. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out. It is really not about a party, but what the candidate and platform dictates and believes and how they line up with what "thus saith the Lord". I too was gung ho from youth as a political spectator, only not being envolved, just talking about what I believed a candidate needed to be. Back then, I must admit, that I believed all the devil's lies. Did God really say??? I was all for anything goes in anything. If the president had a gala and got drunk and was hugging on Barbara Striesand, man that was cool. I thought a man had rights, and if he wanted to get drunk, have four wives at a time, and if one got pregnant then get her an abortion, nobodies business but his. I thought all the things that God hates was in the bill of rights and some are now. I was all for anything goes. I was for, what can the government could do for me and mine and others worldly causes and to putting more money in my pocket, that was the priority. My spill was, don't worry about those poor people over there in those other countries, whether they are starving, oppressed by a dictator, or anything else, let them take care of themselves. Even though I joined the military at age 17, I thought, we did not need a military and I only joined because I was tired of my MOM and Dad's authority and wanted to have a life with no authority. huuuh!!! The first day of bootcamp I realized how stupid I really was. I did care what kind of character a candidate had, as long as he was cool and charm the women. When God changed my heart, through Christ, my opinions about these things changed totally reversed. I am in agreement that SI is not the place to campaign for your favorite candidate, but SI should be a place where we will discuss spiritual issues, character, and about a man having a Godly devotion to a Holy God and country and that we all should desire to see those qualities in anyone, especially someone who will lead us. As I said earlier, if there is one thing I don't want to be wrong about, I refuse to support in anyway a man or women that has the attitude of "what has God and his word got to do with anything. That what's I understand about life and christianity when I study my KJV bible.

2007/8/23 9:15

Re:

Quote:
It seems like the more recent the translation the worse they get until you end up with things like "The Message" that are so buchered that I can't with a clear conscience call it the word of God. Shameful.

Yea, I know folks who are on the opposite end of the spectrum on versions than me... and even they are very troubled by The Message. The Message is horrible. I would not want to be the translators or publisher when it comes time to give an account before the throne.

Krispy

2007/8/23 9:19
Rahman

i LOVE my old Ryrie KJV Study Bible! ...

i've got an old KJV Bible i've had for 25+ years which i love dearly ... It's marked, noted, dated, hi-lighted, cross-referenced, and anything else one could do in a Bible while studying it ... It's a witness and testimony too as when sitting in service and someone glances it's open pages and says to me, "Wow, you must really know your Bible"! ... it's my sword and i love it so much i had it re-bound a couple of years ago, and it's still going strong ... Even my dagger (my smaller NT only-for witnessing) is KJV ... In case of a fire and i could only save one thing it would be my wonderful old Ryrie KJV ... It's the only thing amongst my earthly possesions i deem irreplaceable ... :-D

PS - i like the Young's Literal Translation a lot too!

2007/8/23 9:28Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
I would not want to be the translators or publisher when it comes time to give an account before the throne.

I have thought this many times. May God give me a sincere love for the men who have made these things and a sincere concern for their eternal benefit, rather than just being outraged at what they've done. :-(

2007/8/23 9:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy