SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Disaster!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

Disaster!

I am just sick at my stomach right now. My external hard drive has crashed and with it literally thousands of sermons that I've downloaded off of Sermonindex and other sites over that last 3 years.

:-(

2007/8/20 19:46Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Disaster!

Quote:
I am just sick at my stomach right now. My external hard drive has crashed and with it literally thousands of sermons that I've downloaded off of Sermonindex and other sites over that last 3 years.

Brother,

That is terrible! There could possible be a way to recover the drive, there is some free or cheap software that does that.

2007/8/20 19:48Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
There could possible be a way to recover the drive,

Yeah, I just got off the phone with a friend who might be able to help me with that. I'm going to see if I can recover the information.

2007/8/20 20:37Profile

Re:

hulsey-

I had just about the same thing happen a few months back... I couldnt recover my drive though, it overheated and was fried. Whats cool though is that I am building a new collection trying out new speakers so in a way its been a blessing.

In Christ - Jim

2007/8/21 8:53
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi hulsey...

This may sound somewhat clichéd, but "[i]I feel your pain[/i]!"

My parents and several of my friends have experienced this, and it is never a good thing. While the sermons could always be downloaded again (a long and tedious process), there could be digital photos, important emails, papers, or other such things that are irreplacable. My computer contains over 22 GB of digital photographs, and about 12 GB of audio sermons. It also contains most of my college papers. All of these things would be difficult to part with.

You may look into simply adding that hard drive to another computer and see if it recognizes any files (as a supplemental drive or mass storage device). If it does, you could retrieve the data as easily as information from a jump drive! If it doesn't work, there are other means to obtain such data. Last month, I assisted my brother-in-law in retrieving data from a laptop that literally caught on fire. The hard drive sustained smoke damage -- but EVERYTHING was retrieved! Needless to say, he was thrilled!

In the future, you may consider "backing up" the important information from your computer. You don't have to purchase a portable hard drive or space from an online hard drive organization. I know someone who had BOTH the computer AND portable, external hard drive stolen! If you have a CD burner (or preferably, a DVD burner), you can back up huge amounts of information onto blank CD or DVD media. Since a DVD can hold either 4.7 GB (or 9.4 with dual layer drives) worth of information, you can probably store all of your sermons unto one blank DVD. I perform this task ever-so-often, and it really doesn't take much time at all (about five minutes). I store these DVDs in a shoe box at home, with additional copies at my parents' home. While I have never lost a computer to hard drive failure, it is a great lifesaver in times of technocrisis!

You are in my thoughts and prayers! I pray that this works out for you!

:-)

*EDIT:
-I just checked and discovered that I now actually have over 22 GB of photos and 12 GB of sermons! While I have no idea how many photos that this includes (my wife had a HUGE family), there are well over 500 audio sermons. I would hate to lose them!

2007/8/21 10:19Profile

Re:

Uhg... awful.

Always have 2 external hard drives. The one you use all the time, and the other a back up. Now you can get a 500 gig ext hard drive for $100. Relatively cheap.

Krispy

2007/8/21 10:49
rookie

Savannah TN

Re: Disaster!

Quote:

You still have the Holy Spirit and the word of God to comfort you.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/8/21 18:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy