SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : It's My Right to Insult You!

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Gwammy

DeLand FL

It's My Right to Insult You!

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness" (John 3:17,18).

I am naïve enough to believe that the peacemakers will indeed inherit the earth. Those in the world and of the world have already inherited the world. God bless them and help them.

Of course here we are again with that crazy word “submission.” It’s pretty much a given that in a quarrel someone has to give in, but we are of the enlightened generation that insists on our right to insult and denigrate, no matter how small the injury. What a shame!

Years ago a dear friend gave me very wise advice. She suggested that I visually imagine Jesus standing between the person who is peeling off my ego and myself. He is standing there between us to accept the verbal blows, and to forgive us both, for I try to remember my own part. I, too, have contributed to this problem. I have also learned to look upon this person as my personal pearl, given in love by my Father who knows what I need. Pearls are made through irritation!

I would like to share some quotes and Bible verses that have helped me enormously in the journey toward being a kinder, gentler person:

QUOTES:

*Whatever be the motive of insult, it is always best to overlook it; for folly scarcely can deserve resentment, and malice is punished by neglect. Johnson.

*Slight small injuries, and they'll become none at all. Fuller.

*Lay silently the injuries you receive upon the altar of oblivion. Hosea Ballou.

*If men wound you with injuries, meet them with patience; hasty words rankle the wound, soft language dresses it, forgiveness cures it, and oblivion takes away the scar. It is more noble by silence to avoid an injury than by argument to overcome it. J. Beaumont.

*One [person] pins me to the wall, while with another I walk among the stars. Emerson.

*Be prudent, and if you hear...some insult or threat...have the appearance of not hearing it. George Sand.

*That which cannot be repaired is not to be regretted. Johnson.

*They are the strong ones of the earth, the mighty food for good or evil,--those who know how to keep silence when it is a pain and a grief to them; those who give time to their own souls to wax strong against temptation, or to the powers of wrath to stamp upon them their withering passage. Emerson.

*The surest method against scandal is to live it down by perseverance in well-doing, and by prayer to God that He would cure the distempered mind of those who traduce and injure us. Boerhaave.

*The secret of language is the secret of sympathy, and its full charm is possible only to the gentle. Ruskin.

*But hushed be every thought that springs/From out the bitterness of things. Wordsworth.

*A fool's heart is in his tongue; but a wise man's tongue is in his heart. Quarles.

*Troubles, like babies, grow larger by nursing. Lady Holland.

*Valor consists in the power of self-recovery. Emerson.

*The greater your real strength and power, the quieter it will be exercised. Lowell.

*There is no truth which personal vice will not distort. J.G. Holland.

*Speak to living ears as you will wish you had spoken they are dead. Anonmous

*Great minds, like heaven, are pleased in doing good, though the ungrateful subjects of their favors are barren in return. Rowe.

*It is another's fault if he be ungrateful, but is mine if I do not give. To find one thankful man I will oblige a great many that are not so. Seneca.

*The human heart, at whatever age, opens only to the heart that opens in return. Miss Edgeworth.

*If there is any person to whom you feel a dislike, that is the person of whom you ought never to speak. Richard Cecil.

*Jesus washing the feet of Judas is not concerned with claims and equities.

*Ingratitude dries up the fountain of all goodness. Richelieu.

*Flints may be melted--we can see it daily--but an ungrateful heart cannot; no, not by the strongest and the noblest flame. South.

*Ingratitude is a nail which, driven into a tree of courtesy, causes it to wither... Basil.

*The roots of the deepest love die in the heart, if not tenderly cherished. Herder.

*A great mind will neither give an affront nor bear it. Henry Home.

*Patience and gentleness is power. Leigh Hunt.

*Little by little, the bitterest feelings are sweetened by the mention of them in prayer. And agony itself stops swelling, if we can only cry sincerely, "My God, my God!" Wm. Mountford.

*How many a knot of mystery and misunderstanding would be untied by one word spoken in simple and confiding truth of heart! How many a solitary place would be made glad if love were there, and how many a dark dwelling would be filled with light! Dewey.

*Why is it that a blessing only when it is lost cuts as deep into the heart as a sharp diamond? Why must we first weep before we can love so deeply that our hearts ache? Richter.

*Religion is the hospital of the souls that the world has wounded. J. Petit-Senn.

BIBLE VERSES:

"...Love covers over all wrongs" (TLB: "Hatred stirs old quarrels, but love overlooks insults)" (Proverbs 10:12).

"All those who see Me ridicule Me" (Psalm 22:7).

"Do not fear the reproach of men, nor be afraid of their insults" (Isaiah 51:7b).

"Those who passed by hurled insults at [Jesus]...The robbers...also heaped insults on him" (Matthew 27:39,44, Mark 15:29:32).

"Who, when He was reviled, did not revile in return..." (John 9:28).

“[Jesus] did not retaliate when he was insulted. When he suffered, he did not threaten to get even.”(1 Peter 2:23 NLT)

"A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult" (Proverbs 12:16).

"Don't repay evil for evil. Don't snap back at those who say unkind things about you. Instead, pray for God's help for them, for we are to be kind to others, and God will bless us for it" (1 Peter 3:9).

"He who covers over an offense promotes love, but whoever repeats the matter separates close friends" (Proverbs 17:9). (TLB: "Love forgets mistakes; nagging about them parts the best of friends.")

Grace for our thorn: "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, `My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2Corinthians 12:8,9).

"Sensible men are reticent." (Proverbs10:14 Moffatt).

"Blessed are you when they revile and persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely for My sake" (Matthew 5:11, 1 Peter 4:14).

Especially, “Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do.” It is possible that the person has no idea of how much his/her actions grieve us.

I close with this gem: "Therefore, come what may, hold fast to love. Though [others] should rend your heart, let them not embitter or harden it. We win by tenderness, we conquer by forgiveness. O, strive to enter into something of that large, celestial charity which is meek, enduring, unretaliating, and which even the overbearing world cannot withstand forever. Learn the new commandment of the Son of God. Not only to love merely, but to love as He loved. Go forth in this spirit to your life duties; go forth, children of the Cross, to carry everything before you, and win victories for God by the conquering power of a love like His” (F.W. Robertson).

2007/8/16 7:30Profile
MSeaman

Michigan

Re: It's My Right to Insult You!

good word!

2007/8/16 9:03Profile

Re: It's My Right to Insult You!

[i][b][size=medium][color=CC00FF]

Quote:
I am naïve enough to believe that the peacemakers will indeed inherit the earth. Those in the world and of the world have already inherited the world. God bless them and help them.

[/color][/size][/b][/i]

[color=009900]We should never attempt to offend anyone, but when we quote them God's Word on any subject, HIS WORD, but not our opinion, and if indeed does offends, we are not the offender, but if they have been offended by us speaking God's Word (and oh well) hopefully GOD will use THAT WORD for HIS glory). The verse that Jesus gave about the peacemakers inheriting the earth, he was saying HE was the only thing that can give peace. The peace that passes all understnding, without him we are nothing.[/color]

[color=FF0000]Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they are the ones that are willing to give HIS WORD through HIS SPIRIT working in them, in hopes of they will hear and have the same acceptance as we once did when we heard as a result of speaking it, they have may peace with HIM and also take any heat from others when we speak the WORD that falls on deaf ears when they hear it and they strike back with angry.:-D[/color]

[color=CC3300]Another verse that often gets twisted is "Judge not lest you be Judged". If it were as some define it the Bible is full of God's people who judge as well as the Pastors who actually preach God's Word and just not intertain a congregation[/color]

[color=009900]I had an ole high school friend and also vietnam vet war partner that call me on the phone just last night, drunk big time on alcohol and smoking dope. He was wasted, slurred speech and all. And I know some are thinking how does he know it was smoking dope also!!!:oops: He only calls in that condition. I have called him back early the next morning and witness to him before he gets fried and that hasn't seem to help. I have witnessed to him many times over the past few years but it seems to be as water off a ducks back. I talked to HIM about HIS spiritual condition again last night as he talked about people who had recently passed away of our graduating class of 1966. He always ask if he can be one of my pallbears. He said, listen don't preach to me, I am pretty good ole guy. I don't harm no one, I help others. I believe in God and God has blessed me with much money, I probably have just gone over a millions dollars in my bank account. I got everything I need. That should bring a passage to mind. I told him believing in God was good, but the devil believed in God and I proceeded to ask HIM if he had made Jesus the Lord of HIS life. He said , "don't preach to me, you have drink plenty of alcohol yourself and did just as much as I and I have probably been to church more than you have, why are you preaching to me. I told him that was true and I repented, I no longer do that and I have ask for forgiveness and he could too. He said I went to church when I was a kid and remember some of those Bible stories. I told him of the rich young ruler and he ask me if I need some money the reason I gave him that verse. I told the Lord would provide. I ask HIM how HIS relationship with Jesus now and HIS church. He dodged the question. I told HIM all our money and possesions, when we stand before the Lord in judgement, everything except the treasures we have stored in heaven is ony hay and stubble and will be burned up. All we have now, we are just using, it is HIS. I told my friend you, Bill Gates, Ted Turner, Donald Trump, George Bush, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton and myself and OH ME, THAT WAS STARTLING THING TO INSERT MYSELF IN THAT LINE UP,:-? , anyway all rest guys and gals too, regardless of our earthly possesions we will all stand before the Lord, and all that will matter is, "what do you do with my SON Jesus and HIS death on the cross to pay for our sins, have you excepted HIS free gift and does HIS SPIRIT live in you"? I ask my friend to examine himself with the scriptures to see and make sure that he was indeed in the faith. He dodged that one again too. His next words, " I have always heard judge not lest you be judged and hung up the phone. He may have hung up, but he still got some food (manna)for thought and God can, and if God doesn't it want take hold anyway, but HE can take HIS WORDS we speak and use them, if we speak and they will will let HIM.

People twisting scripture such as (judge not) has stopped more christians from witnessing and telling the plan of salvation and HIS love and HIS SPIRIT being able to change lives than any I know. That is exactly what the devil intends when he put these things in minds to say. When people quote that lie or half truth, they have a poor understanding of the WORD and it also could be they don't want to hear any of his word or talk about their sin, for fear it will convict them and they might have to give up their pleasures for a season. They want to stay right where there at in their sinful and lost state and make believe Jesus is not coming back and they are going live for ever on this earth. The reason I know this condition so well I myself spent almost 50 years in this state. Not to say I have arrived but have grown and want to go more.[/color]

[color=000099]When you give someone God's Word on a subject that lines up with the whole council of God and that is the key. Not just pick and choose, and it reveals sin in their life or error in their theology, you haven't judged them. The Word has. The only way we could judge someone is to we saw the fault, also gave the verdict and adminstered the punishment we felt they deserved. That is judging. Don't let no liberal theologeon get away with quoting that passage. We are to speak HIS WORD, call sin what is, sin. We are to forgive others, speak HIS WORD on all subjects in life and leave room for God's wrath. If the peacemakers inherit the earth and they are God's children, it will be after God rebuilds the new Jereusalem.[/color]

2007/8/16 13:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy