SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Football teaches many great life lessons

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: 2 MINUTE WARNING! ...

Let me tell ya something, bro... you are right on the money. As with anything, if we put something up on a pedastol and give it more importance that Christ... it's an idol.

I admit that I struggle with sports from time to time. Coaching is extremely time consuming. Thank the Lord I am self employed and work at home or I wouldnt be able to coach.

We got Tivo a couple years specifically because I really had a hard time focussing on things when I knew the Panthers were playing, or UT Vols. Now, I can turn the game on anytime (tho I threaten everyone with bodily injury if they tell me the score before I watch the game!)

Some here will flame me for even having a TV in the house... but thats between God and me, and we govern our TV strictly. Also, w/ Tivo you can skip all the beer commercials. A definate plus.

But let me also come at this from another angle as well... are we so set in stone with our church times that we can not be the least bit flexible? Where in scripture does it say the church service needs to start at 11am? Our house church usually meets on Sunday morning... but sometimes we meet on Saturday night. Sometimes we meet on Friday night if we know some will be out of town, or someone has to work.

Not suggesting we should schedule church around football... but if I know people will be distracted and not concentrating because there is a playoff game... I would rather change the time so everyone can give their undivided attention to the Word. Let the Holy Spirit deal with them if sports is an idol in their life.... know what I mean?

I'm a non-comformist when it comes to service times and such.

Krispy

2007/8/14 14:11
Rahman

Re: 2 MINUTE WARNING! ...

Bro Krisp you wrote;
"We got Tivo ... Now, I can turn the game on anytime (tho I threaten everyone with bodily injury if they tell me the score before I watch the game!)"

--- i heard that! ... :-P ---

Bro Krisp you wrote;
"are we so set in stone with our church times that we can not be the least bit flexible? Where in scripture does it say the church service needs to start at 11am?"

--- True you won't find a set time for church in scripture, but the beginning time of 11 a.m. on Sunday doesn't bother me at all, if anything it's Bishop's rush to be finished by 2 p.m. that pains my spirit (and i'm sure Holy Spirit too) ... This church that our Lord has me assigned to is a "meeting times haven't changed: in 40 years Pentecostal COGIC, with a once great history of Sunday being a day where one spent all day in the house of our Lord ... That as by-gone now as "tarrying for Holy Spirit" and "all nite prayer", so i'm at least happy that the meeting times to haven't been altered to an appeasment of our soulish and fleshly desires ---

Bro Krisp you wrote;
"Our house church usually meets on Sunday morning... but sometimes we meet on Saturday night. Sometimes we meet on Friday night if we know some will be out of town, or someone has to work."

--- Amen i can see where a small house church could enjoy such flexibility, but we couldn't do that when we were 700, let alone now at about 2,000 (down from 3,000) ... There are 3 services here every Sunday (8am/11am & 7pm) so the flexibility is there, it's just a little bit telling tho when the 11am service, and the once a month Communion service, suffers in attendance of the men during football season ... Somehow i don't think that that rates up there with having to be out of town, or working ... But then as i've been told by a few, i'm an extremist and a legalist about such things as this ---

Bro Krisp you wrote;
"Not suggesting we should schedule church around football... but if I know people will be distracted and not concentrating because there is a playoff game... I would rather change the time so everyone can give their undivided attention to the Word. Let the Holy Spirit deal with them if sports is an idol in their life.... know what I mean?

I'm a non-comformist when it comes to service times and such."

--- i hear you bro, but this is where our thinking really parts company ... If the only way a man in Jesus can keep his concentration on the things of Him and our Father, in particular John 3:16, is to have services manuevered around such worldly distractions as a play off game then ... bro i'm at a loss for words (and that ain't very often) ... You say let Holy Spirit deal with them, how can He when His grief isn't even felt, let alone acknowledged ... That's why God has to send His weirdos, His kill-joys, His party-poopers, out amongst the bunch in attempt to a wake up call but we all know how that usually ends, with us rejecting the weirdos and then His coming to the end of His long longsuffering and having to rebuke and chasten as many as He loves ... Thank God for both His tender :-) and terrible grace :-? ---

2007/8/14 16:03Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Is it wrong to [u]pray[/u] for the Dallas Cowboys to win the SuperBowl?

;-)

As a former student athlete, I agree with your post! I participated in basketball, football, baseball and track. I cannot express how much I learned during the exhaustion of such rigorous exercise! But I competed as to "win the prize!" To this day, I enjoy participating in the sports for health reasons. I can honestly say that it is possible to intimately commune with God while running and jogging!

Great word!

:-)

2007/8/14 16:08Profile

Re:

Quote:
--- i hear you bro, but this is where our thinking really parts company ... If the only way a man in Jesus can keep his concentration on the things of Him and our Father, in particular John 3:16, is to have services manuevered around such worldly distractions as a play off game then ... bro i'm at a loss for words (and that ain't very often) ... You say let Holy Spirit deal with them, how can He when His grief isn't even felt, let alone acknowledged ... That's why God has to send His weirdos, His kill-joys, His party-poopers, out amongst the bunch in attempt to a wake up call but we all know how that usually ends, with us rejecting the weirdos and then His coming to the end of His long longsuffering and having to rebuke and chasten as many as He loves ... Thank God for both His tender and terrible grace ---

Actually... we're not too far apart. I agree with you in principle, and with our group this isnt much of an issue. Since I know me, I have found a way to keep my focus on the Lord where it belongs, and not let sports have the rule over me. And for only $5 a month. lol

I'm not excusing men who skip communion (tho I have a different understanding of "The Lord's Supper" vs. "The Lord's Snack"), or skip working for the Lord or worshipping the Lord in order to watch sports. If they know more sports stats then they know Bible verses... there is a serious problem. And they need a kick in the pants... or the head, take your choice.

One thing the Lord really convicted me on was watching 2 college football games on Saturdays, and 3 NFL games on Sundays. Thats about 15 hours a weekend! I dont do that anymore. The Lord has given me permission to watch the Vols on Saturday evenings... and the Panthers on Sunday afternoons. Thats about it. Sometimes Monday night football if it's a good match-up, but I usually succomb to sleep by 9:45-10pm. My boys and my wife love football too, so it's a family affair at my house... we have a great time. We unplug the phones, break out the chips and have a good ol' time.

I'm rambling... sorry about that! lol

Sometimes our neighbors come over. They're Mormon, and I get a chance to witness to them... and they me. Sometimes our Catholic neighbors come over to.

Every chance I get I use football as a way to reach people. Would that we all do that with everything we do.

We should do everything we do as unto the Lord! Amen?

Krispy

2007/8/14 16:28

Re:

Quote:
Is it wrong to pray for the Dallas Cowboys to win the SuperBowl?

No, that would be taking things a little too far when you consider that God is a Carolina Panther fan. :-)

I was actually at the game a couple years ago when Carolina knocked Dallas out of the play-offs. I was close enough to throw ice at "The Tuna".... (I asked the Lord to forgive me later on)

Krispy

2007/8/14 16:29
Rahman

Sorry Bro. Krisp ...

Bro ...

i want to apologize if i've brought a pall (i've been told i do this too) over what i think you meant to be a lighter and more upbeat thread ...

Sounds like you've got a good mastery over something that still has the mastery over a lot of brothers in our Lord ... Praise God for that! ...

i'm done, and i pray the thread will continue in the vein in which you posted it ...

Blessings in Christ bro Krisp!

PS - Amen, at 57 Monday Nite games usually wind up watching me too ... :-P

2007/8/14 16:39Profile

Re: Sorry Bro. Krisp ...

No bro.... you brought up good points that need to be discussed. Dont apologize.

I hope that anyone jumping in goes back to the beginning of the thread so they can get the "big picture" of what this thread is about.

Speaking of football... gotta run, time for pratice.

Krispy

2007/8/14 16:46
Rahman

Re: Sorry Bro. Krisp ...

Cool ... Thanks bro ... :-D ...

Rom. 8:28

2007/8/14 16:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy