PosterThread
matthew

Re:

Is there not difference between "accepting" and "trusting in"

2004/5/6 9:11Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Being that this is a recurring theme in my mind along with the whole predestination and 'Once saved always saved' topics thought I would bring this up here as well.

I do pray that others will read what our brother Carlos (KillerTonedotcom){Incidentally his member name has to do with a guitar effects pedal} wrote in this thread [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1830&forum=36]Once saved, always saved?[/url]

This kept me up late last night and was my first thought this morning. This brother's faith is slipping away and it is because of the extremes of these man made 'doctrines'....Sigh. I am extremely agitated, I am hoping that some of our wiser brethren will come to our brothers rescue with encouragement and prayers, here is some of what he said;

Quote:
If Calvinism is true, then you can study me as one pathetic example of someone that "God was not pleased to save"...go home and give thanks that you were not me.

Quote:
Right now, I want to believe...but I can't---seems like its over.

Jeremey,

I completely agree with you. At the sake of being redundant is it not the cart before the horse?
Are we not moving into the building and then going back to check and see if the foundation is O.K.?

It seems we can be really misleading people by the order in which we present these truths.
This came up just a couple of weeks ago. After reading Andrew Stroms '9 Lies' article where he delved into the 'it's not biblical' aspect not shortly after I went to a baptism service of I think, 34 people, all walks, lot's of kids, family's. It came up often "Have you asked Jesus into your heart?" right before going under the water. Being that this was fresh in my mind, I sat and prayed that they really knew what it all meant, that they had not been given a man's "let's not be offensive" gospel. It is the parts that are left unsaid. I felt that I left there unsure of what had really transpired and that is troubling. It is a modern, progressive type of church and I will not make assumptions about them. What I wonder about is the impression it leaves on the unbelievers that were in attendance...

Where I agree with Mr. Strom on this is in laying the foundations. Counting the cost. Repentance. Forsaking of your sins...I am a little bit torn on this 'phrase', in one sense you [i][b]better[/b][/i] 'ask Jesus into your heart' because if He is not there, then we have no part with Him. But I think we may very well be better off without it the way it is being used, same with 'Calvinism', same with 'Once saved, always saved'.

The devil has done a fine job of meddling in all this and men with their cleverness have been easily duped into using catch phrases and the opposite error of spinning endless genealogy's of words to nobody's profit.

Lord help us.

2004/5/6 10:54Profile
matthew

Re: "I asked Jesus to come into my heart"

I wanted to tell all that I greatly appreciate their input...

2004/5/6 11:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Boy this keeps getting more interesting by the minute. Apparently there is another one that comes into play here, just read this excellent post [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1873&forum=36]judging[/url]

After a discussion with my lovely wife and it was a bit heated at first, this subject came up as well. I do want to clarify my comments a bit. I cannot judge and hopefully never intended to imply what the state of someones heart is. I cannot know by a cursory evaluation as it relates to the recent baptisms, should have added this at the start. There certainly is much to be said about 'come as you are', but I guess what I wanted to say is 'know what you are coming to.'

All of this seems to be just unfolding right before our eyes, it may not be anything relatively new, it is certainly well tread ground. Just find it interesting how it all ties together...

2004/5/6 11:56Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Ahhh,

And then along comes Mr. Tozer with his economy of words, one of these days I hope to be able to summarize this well. From today's (May 6th) devotional:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1041&forum=23]Renewed ~ Day By Day ~ Devotional[/url]

I am done now. Please keep our brother Carlos in prayer.

2004/5/6 12:14Profile
shazbot

USA

Re: "I asked Jesus to come into my heart"

This phrase, which you distrust, has become 'Christianese' for "I told God that I accepted Jesus as my salvation."

Note that this does not mean that He is Lord of their lives. This is why so many are nominal Christians.

But, I do not think, on the whole, that this practice, this phrase, is a bad thing. Even though it typefies a coming to Christ because of a selfish motive ("I don't want to go to Hell"), I believe God will take us anyway.

If God waited until all of us had the perfect motives behind our coming to Him, none would be saved. We are selfish human beings and we will continue to be that way until we are finally rid of these broken-down earth bodies.

I am certainly looking forward to it.

2004/5/6 18:06Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy