SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The Fear of the Lord is Gone from Pulpits and Pew -maxwell

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 The Fear of the Lord is Gone from Pulpits and Pew -maxwell

[b]The Fear of the Lord is Gone from Pulpits and Pew[/b]
[i]by L.E. Maxwell[/i]

“My friends in the ministry will recollect that the old theologians of the Reformation had a wholesome sense of the fear of the God. Their appreciation of fear was linked with the fact that, unlike many today, they did not belittle the Mosaic revelation. Recall that it was when Sinai’s law was thundered from the Mount, causing the Israelites to quake and cringe in mortal terror, that Moses explained the meaning of that ministry: “God is come to prove you, and that His fear may be before your faces, that ye sin not” (Exodus 20:20). On the other hand, through no-law preaching extreme dispensationalists have not only contributed to lawlessness but as a consequence have also swung from a true understanding of the important place that fear should exercise in their ministry. Since in their theology Moses is largely tabooed, how can they conveniently drive home the terrors of a broken law? If the avenger of blood be not on the sinner’s trail, why should he flee for safety to the city of refuge? With the neglecting of the law’s curse there has developed not unnaturally a corresponding criminal failure to preach the wrath and judgment of the New Testament. The result is that people in the pew are led to feel that the consequences of disobedience are no longer to be dreaded as they once were. If “by the law is the knowledge of sin,” it is not at all strange that there develops before us a growing insensibility to sin. It can scarcely be denied that the theology of extreme dispensationalism leads us still farther away from the fear and dread of God…

Let us turn to the sequel of this heavenly warning to the tribulation saints who fear God. How satisfying to finish reading the account of these tribulation saints who heeded this everlasting gospel and are enrolled forever as “them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name”! These victors on the sea of glass sing “the song of Moses the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb,” with that mighty burst of assurance for a finale: “Who shall not fear Thee, O Lord, and glorify Thy name? for thou only art holy: for all nations shall come and worship before Thee: for Thy judgments are made manifest.”

2007/8/12 19:32Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: The Fear of the Lord is Gone from Pulpits and Pew -maxwell

amen

2007/8/12 20:42Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: The Fear of the Lord is Gone from Pulpits and Pew -maxwell

It is all too apparent that the fear of God had disappeared from the Church. Let's say nothing of the world.

We want to see God's name glorified, and more than that, God wants to see His name glorified.

When all we have are lopsided messages of God's love, and God is love, and nothing of His wrath and judgment, then what is there to fear?

May our prayers for God's glory be answered, soon.

God bless.

2007/8/13 5:17Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

To Enid:

It's true. When I was about 9 or 10 I was reading the Bible because I had interest in what it had to say (I was not raised Christian). I came across a ton of scriptures about fearing God.
But this confused me because Christians told me God was only love. And so I knew someone was lying to me and it took me another 8 years to figure out who it was.

2007/8/13 9:26Profile

Re:

Quote:
And so I knew someone was lying to me and it took me another 8 years to figure out who it was.

Sad but true :(

2007/8/13 9:28
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
It's true. When I was about 9 or 10 I was reading the Bible because I had interest in what it had to say (I was not raised Christian). I came across a ton of scriptures about fearing God.
But this confused me because Christians told me God was only love. And so I knew someone was lying to me and it took me another 8 years to figure out who it was.

The message of God is only love is a devilish doctrine of demons. The fear of God is clearly shown throughout the book of acts and other new testament epistles. The sad fault in most modern day christian theology is that God is different in the new testament verse the old testament but it is not true. We serve the same God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. He never changes!

2007/8/13 11:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy