SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : New General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hulsey

Missouri

New General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God

Just minutes ago [url=http://www.georgeowood.com/templates/System/details.asp?id=22125&PID=50251]George O. Wood[/url] was elected as the General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God.

The link above on his name will take you to a list of his sermons that you can download.

I am hopeful that this brother will be more true to classical pentecostalism.

2007/8/10 10:23Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: New General Superintendent of the Assemblies of God

Quote:
I am hopeful that this brother will be more true to classical pentecostalism.

Just curious, and certainly not opposing what you wrote, but in what ways might Trask (and the General Council) be "less true" to modern Pentecostalism?

Brother Paul

p.s. I have a feeling we're going to "amen" each other by the time this thread is over, as I have quite a few disagreements with the Assemblies, and have been less than delighted by some of their programs and various endorsements. I guess I should say "our", because I have credentials through them.

2007/8/10 11:02Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
p.s. I have a feeling we're going to "amen" each other by the time this thread is over, as I have quite a few disagreements with the Assemblies, and have been less than delighted by some of their programs and various endorsements. I guess should say "our", because I actually have credentials through them.

can you be credentialed through them and still disagree with a couple of the 16 fundamentals that they adhere to. i am a 1/2 class away from being credentialed, but i cannot with conviction say that i agree and will preach the 16 fundamental truths that they hold. i would like to be credentialed for a couple small reasons, but not at the expense of my convictions.

2007/8/10 11:20Profile
chadster

Re:

I was credentialed with them for 25 years and then withdrew. You do need to sign on the dotted line that your'e in agreement with their doctrinal postures and denominational positions.

I had a huge problem with giving 2/3 of my tithe to the Assemblies of God district office and that's one of the main reasons why I withdrew.

Regarding TRASK, I knew him personally, he is a wonderful man of God and I think the fact that he withdrew before his term was concluded may say something about the direction of the denomination.

2007/8/10 12:07Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

thanks brother chadster. i appreciate the info. i guess i will remain as i am (studying the word and preaching the gospel with no credentials). that's fine with me.. thanks brother.

2007/8/10 12:09Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
Regarding TRASK, I knew him personally, he is a wonderful man of God and I think the fact that he withdrew before his term was concluded may say something about the direction of the denomination.

I think our brother is right. I've heard Trask preach at a ministers conference and remember how frustrated he was becoming with the denomination. And this was back in 2003. He told the 1000+ AG ministers in attendance that we've lost sight of Jesus Christ; He's no longer glorified and centralized like He once was back in the day. We've drifted. We've become mechanical and dry and program-plagued and we're not fooling anyone...especially the godless who visit our churches and see there's no authority. It was a powerful rebuke, and Trask's exhortation of the loss of Jesus Christ's centrality in His church was akin to a Sparks sermon.

I too have a problem with automatically sending two-thirds of my tithe up the corporate ladder (cheerful giving or not, they still demand it), but I can at least find comfort knowing the Assemblies of God continue to have a fantastic missions agenda.

Brother Paul

2007/8/10 15:49Profile
JoeA

Decatur, Illinois

Re:

I'm a member of a Foursquare Church, which is right next door to the Assemblies. In the past couple weeks I've read Vinson Synan's "The Old Time Power" and "The Holiness Pentecostal Movement". When I look at Pentecostalism of yesterday, compared with today I'm almost speechless. We seem to have lost that "old time power".

In those days they didn't need flashy programs, carnivals, and great choirs to bring the unsaved in. Their preaching was characterized by Holy Ghost conviction that humbled sinners and brought down saving grace. The only method they had for bringing people in was preaching the Gospel in the power of the Spirit which brought people to an encounter with God.

I pray God would send that "old time power" again.

2007/8/10 20:40Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

An early pentecostal evangelist once said, "If I cannot attract people with the gospel, what can I attract them with?"

2007/8/10 20:47Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

In those days, men walked in the authority of God, completely sold out. They read scripture on their knees. It was a different breed of men, but with the same God we have today. Wigglesworth wouldn't even allow a newspaper in his home. I like to listen to Leonard Ravenhill talk about Smith Wigglesworth (who preached at Assembly of God conventions back in the 1920's) and men like John G. Lake where people would leave the meetings beaming with the radiance of God like they'd been to the upper room. The Holy Spirit would descend so strongly that people wouldn't dare even speak a word on the way home, fearing to break the awesome solemnity.

2007/8/10 21:07Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
people would leave the meetings beaming with the radiance of God like they'd been to the upper room. The Holy Spirit would descend so strongly that people wouldn't dare even speak a word on the way home, fearing to break the awesome solemnity.

Let us pray brothers and sisters.

PRAY FOR REVIVAL!

2007/8/10 21:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy