SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tattoos…are they a stumbling block?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Yea, well Leviticus also tells us not to trim the sides of our beards too... at least we know Elvis did his best to follow the Levitical Law, huh? lol
Krispy

LOL

Not puting the whole issue on Lev.; but it is Cutting the flesh for the purpose of art,
how is that not sinful???

(Personally... I just don't want to glory in them anymore,)

2007/8/9 16:53Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

I would like to say that if you have a tattoo, want a tattoo, or about to get one for the sole purpose of witnessing, I would reconsider your motives.

That is one of the things that the Lord has challenged me on, because that was MY sole reason originally for getting my first tattoo (plus I just really wanted one).

I remember when people had the argument, "Isn't it going to be actually harder to witness to people in the church, or to those who don't have tattoos and are conservative?" I said, "While it shouldn't be, I suppose it could be, but wouldn't it be just as hard for me to be in a $500 suit trying to witness to a bunch of people with peircings and tattoos?" I've realized now, though, that while there is a tinge of very small truth to this, we (me) are relying upon our appearances to save the lost and dying. Why are we (I) doing that? Jesus Christ was in a particular culture, but I don't know that he ever attempted to change his appearance for the "in" crowd, or the "out" crowd. He was who He was and he didn't need to upgrade or downgrade His appearance for anybody.

Can we get a tattoo, or a fish car emblem, or t-shirt to witness to others... sure... if you want to solely rely on your own strength, instead of letting God move and work through you just the way you are without all of that.

For His Glory,

Ben

2007/8/9 17:07Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

BenBrockway wrote:

Can we get a tattoo, or a fish car emblem, or t-shirt to witness to others... sure... if you want to solely rely on your own strength, instead of letting God move and work through you just the way you are without all of that.

Ben

I still like my tattoos, though... lol

2007/8/9 17:11Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Unless I am mistaken, the Levitical law refers to tattoos and markings made with the intent of devotion towards and communication with the dead.

Think that is ancient? I know gangsters who still do it. They have tats that say "so-and-so 1985-2004" and they tell people that their dead homie can see it and is happy about their memorial to him.

But, the real issue is "is it a stumbling block".

I can speak for myself, at least. If a brother says, "I got a tattoo three years ago", I think nothing of it. If a brother says "I got one this past month", I think, "he doesn't know how to spend his money." Most tattoos will pay for an Indian missionary to go out for three months to a year. ($30 a month)

A $300 tattoo is the price of 10,000 gospel tracts at Americasprinter.com

I hope that tattoo helps you witness to 10,000 people. :-o

I say this with love and affection. I have come short in much as well, but we must be faithful with these few things first.

I am also trying to live this, ordering water instead of cokes, smaller meals, etc. to help move cash to the most efficient uses.

2007/8/9 17:20Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
Unless I am mistaken, the Levitical law refers to tattoos and markings made with the intent of devotion towards and communication with the dead.

This, I have heard from many a scholar, as well.

2007/8/9 17:22Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

BenBrockway wrote:
Quote:

theopenlife wrote:

Oh, plus it being done to false gods, too.

2007/8/9 17:29Profile

Re:

Quote:

BenBrockway wrote:
Quote:

theopenlife wrote:

Leviticus 19:
[i][color=000066] 26 “You shall not eat any flesh with the blood in it. You shall not practice augury or witchcraft. 27 You shall not round off the hair on your temples or mar the edges of your beard. 28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord.[/color][/i](RSV)

I'm not sure how accurate this translation is in calling the "cuttings in the flesh" tattoos.

The context does suggest it originally had something to do with pagan practices. The Catholic priest's tonsure, apparently does as well, (looked it up some time ago and can't remember the details) which could be the same idea as "cutting the corners" of the hair??

Shi'hite Muslims have a time when men and boys run through the streets cutting themselves and beating their heads to make the blood run down, as a sign of mourning.

Remembering the assasination of one of the founders of their sect, If I remember rightly.

I used to think that tattoos were 100% wrong, because of the verse in Leviticus, but wonder if it is a matter of the pagan connections rather tahn the practice itself.

But how attenuated do you have to let this pagan connection get before its OK spiritually to have a tattoo??? Or is it OK as long as it isn't "for the dead"?

Food for thought. Maybe its a case of "let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind", as with Paul's comment on eating meat offered to idols.

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/8/9 18:29
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Re:

Quote:

LittleGift wrote:
"let everyone be fully persuaded in his own mind", as with Paul's comment on eating meat offered to idols.
Blessings
Jeannette

Amen

My dear brothers, I thought this was a clear cut issue; I didn’t know people considered getting Tattoos for the sake of witnessing & after regeneration etc… out of the ones I have done I never came across anyone that said such, (most were based on pride, boasting of self image, vanity, Catholic externalism etc.)
so I can't comment on that area, but something about this thread has deeply saddened me, so I will say no more...
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on the issue, & Onward with the preaching of the gospel

2007/8/10 11:07Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Tattoos…are they a stumbling block?

The reason for starting this thread

For me getting a tattoo is not an option. Having said that I must admit to having a tattoo(s), and it is one of many things I would not repeat if the choice was to be offered again. I feel much like Michael (theopenlife) about the issue. In 2006 I really started to take stewardship to a new level. I personally feel the money could be spent in more productive outreach methods.

But having a tattoo(s) is what concerns me, not whether I or you should get one. I just want input about how you react to seeing tattoos on people.

I have one on my bicep that I am extremely conscious about. It is covered by a short sleeve shirt, but only one with longer sleeves and then just barely. I have known people for years and have become friends with them, but the look on their face when they find out I have a tattoo(s) is really something to behold.

It saddens me to be judged in this way. I know I’m forgiven for my past and I’m the one that must live with these scares on my body, but it has changed how the world and Christians look at me. I go out of my way to hide it, but I still pay a price for the lifestyle I lived before accepting Christ.

2007/8/10 11:38Profile

Re:

Wait a second... hold on. We're missing something important here.

God wanted His people to be seperate from the world, and Paul said that we should avoid even the appearance of evil.

The reason the Levitical Law forbade tattoos was for the reasons already mentioned, but it was also so they could not even be associated with pagans and false religions. They were to be seperate in every way.

Yes, they were not to worship false gods and communicate with the dead. That was forbidden else where in the Law. But they were also to avoid even appearing to be like the pagans.

Now we're under the NT law of love, and I think each individual needs to approach something like this with much prayer and humility. Since we are not under the Law, a believer in Christ probably can have a tattoo... but they need to examine the why's and what for's.

Krispy

2007/8/10 11:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy