SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Finite Perfection vs. Infinite Perfection

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Some good points Jim. I'll get back to you with my thoughts on them later.

Nile

2007/8/9 13:31Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Quote:
By definition, perfect does not mean "infinitely perfect" otherwise the word would only ever apply to God. How many times have you heard the word perfect used in your life?

In a sport: "That was a perfect play!"
At work: "That procedure worked perfectly!"
In a board-game: "I've perfected my strategy!"

These are all proper uses of the word. You don't have to be perfect in every area to be perfect in some areas.

Just so we understand - when you say perfect you really mean only partially perfect with unknown in-perfections and not entirely or completely perfect? If that is the case then we are in agreement.

Jesse,

In order to answer your questions correctly I need to get a better understanding of where you are coming from. Please answer the following question with just a simple yes or no.

1. There is no unknown area of or in my life where I fall short or miss the mark of the perfect love of Jesus or the perfect faith of Jesus or the perfect humility of Jesus or the perfect patients of Jesus ect, etc, etc, etc thus I am perfect having the same level of perfection as Jesus both known and unknown in thought, word, deed, action, motive, faith, and love.

Yes or No

2. I realize that I fall short and miss the mark in unkonwn areas of my life that God has yet to put His finger on that fall short of the perfect love of Jesus or the perfect faith of Jesus or the perfect humility of Jesus or the perfect patients of Jesus etc, etc, etc, etc thus I am not perefect in the sense and comparison to the perfection of Jesus Chrsit and I am a life long and even an eternal work in progreess in this regard.

Yes or No

3. Is falling short or missing the mark one of the Biblical definitions for sin.

Yes or No

4. I agree with Scriptures and the Word of God that there is a distinction and difference between willful and deliberate sin or committing sin and un-willful or un-deliberate sin

Yes or No

5. I disagree with Scriptures and the Word of God that there is a distinction and difference between willful and deliberate sin or committing sin and un-willful or un-deliberate sin and choose rather to hold to my own man made doctrine, human logic and philosophy because what the Scripture says destroys my own understanding, theology and logic.

Yes or No

If you answer these question I will have a better understanding of where you are coming from and can better then answer the question you purpose. Now don't try to weasle out of the first two questions - they are easy and simple and need to be answered so we can all understand where you are coming from.

Patrick
www.revivalarmy.com

2007/8/9 15:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Perfect is perfect - to me finite perfect is a contradiction. If it not infinitely or completely perfect then it is not perfect. It is like saying that it is just kind of perfect or that it is partially perfect - it makes no sense.

Perfection of finite beings is really being 'fit for purpose'. In this sense a child may be perfect yet with room for growth and development. The same is true in the spiritual realm.

2007/8/9 16:40Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

1Jo 5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, [even] our faith.

1Jo 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but he that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Phl 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

How then are we perfect? 1 Corinthians 1:30-31 But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Perfection, by whom?

Luk 8:14 And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of [this] life, and bring no fruit to perfection.

2Cr 13:9 For we are glad, when we are weak, and ye are strong: and this also we wish, [even] your perfection.

Hbr 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

Hbr 7:11 If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need [was there] that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron

Again, Perfection by whom?

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

Rom 8:10 And if Christ [be] in you, the body [is] dead because of sin; but the Spirit [is] life because of righteousness.

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

Rom 15:29 And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ.

1Cr 1:6 Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:

1Cr 1:8 Who shall also confirm you unto the end, [that ye may be] blameless in the day of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1Cr 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and [that] there be no divisions among you; but [that] ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

1Cr 1:13 Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?

This says we are perfect in Christ Jesus. Are we not to think on these things and consider ourselves to be this way? There is only One that is perfect and He has been birthed in us. We have no reason to glory in anything except the Christ that is in us. He is our Glory and perfection, our only boasting is in Him, He is our Glory. To make myself say this is not true and I am a sinner and will never be righteous or sanctified our redeemed or wise in Christ is to say God is a liar and Christ died in vain, He cannot save me and make me perfect, even by birthing His own Son in me. I am condemned in everything I do and their is always going to be condemnation even to those that believe that Jesus Christ Is the Son of God. So when I can become perfect in Gods eyes I will be saved and go to heaven.

But God says: Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

We can be perfect. Our preaching should be no wise different to the Word of God, "Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:"

In Christ: Phillip

2007/8/9 16:41Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

Quote:
Perfection of finite beings is really being 'fit for purpose'. In this sense a child may be perfect yet with room for growth and development. The same is true in the spiritual realm.

That is fine and true - I would certainly use a better term then perfect because many have the same understanding and reaction to the term perfect as I do, but like I said I don't want to piddle over word meanings if we mean the same thing at heart. The point is we must be VERY careful to make the distinction and make sure we know what people mean when we say "perfect" because there can be great misunderstanding when using such terms. When trying to clear up meaning with one person I was talking to about this very subject I said -

when you mean perfect are you saying there is nothing in me known or unknown that falls short of the perfect perfection of Jesus Christ Himself meaning that there is nothing left in me known or unknown that falls short of the perfect perfection of Jesus Christ and there is nothing left for the Lord to put His finger on because the process of sanctification is finished and everything known or unknown that falls short of the perfect perfection of Jesus Christ has been removed and I fall short of this perfection know or unknown in no way shape or form at all?

And he answered - yes that is exactly what I mean.

Now I think that everyone would agree this type of extreme perfection lifting ones self up on the same level of Jesus Christ Himself is tantamount to blasphemy and heresy.

The bottom line is we must make sure that others understand what we are saying and stay away from terms such as perfect and perfection that cause misunderstanding and when heard can viewed by different people in different ways.

Patrick
www.revivalarmy.com

2007/8/9 17:01Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

How can any person put himself on the level of perfection that is in Christ? There is only one way, That is what God has done with His Son that is born again in me. God the Father see's me exactly as He see's His that is in me. Christ is only way we may be perfect and we are to know this. In knowing this there is "Now no condemnation for those that are in Christ Jesus.
That is why we are to think on these things;
Philippians 4:4-8 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand. Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

"He who's mind is kept on Him, He will keep in perfect peace".

It is in Christ Jesus our Lord that our perfection comes to fruition. Unless a corn or wheat fall into the Ground and die it will not produce any fruit. Even Jesus spoke this about Himself. Jhn 12:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

Did we die? Can we see ourselves dead, as dead to sin as Christ was on the Cross, those dead shoulders covered with blood with His dead head hanging on His dead chest, Crucified, The Lord of Glory.

Galatians 2:18-21 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. (((((I am crucified with Christ:)))))) nevertheless I live; ((((((yet not I,)))))) but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh (((((((I live by the faith of the Son of God,)))))))) who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

He Jesus Christ would be alone unless he died on the Cross, and in dieing He brings forth much fruit. We are that fruit unto the Father, for He said, "I do nothing unless my Father says so".

Jhn 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [whether] I speak of myself.

Jhn 8:28 Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am [he], and [that] I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

We should speak the same, I am perfect only in the Work of My Father who has birthed me and He by the Son and the Teacher Holy Spirit is teaching us, and by Him only can we speak these things.

Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Phl 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Jam 1:4 But let patience have [her] perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

He that has started a perfect work in us will accomplish it until the day of physical resurrection. In Christ: Phillip

Perfected, being perfected and will be perfect.

2Cr 1:10 Who delivered us from so great a death, and doth deliver: in whom we trust that he will yet deliver [us];

2007/8/9 18:22Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:
According to this reasoning Peter did not know God...
Galatians 2:11When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. 12Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
14When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?

I'm not sure what to make of that passage. It does say that they were "led astray" or "carried away" in other translations. Does this give insight?
I need to do some more study of this passage; the way I see it right now doesn't line up with any credible doctrines I have heard.

Quote:
Hebrew 10 speaks of willfully sinning, why is there a qualifier to sinning, that is willfully or deliberately. That is a line of seperation between mercy and wrath, life and death, the saint and the hypocrite.

But...in the passage you just gave Peter is called a hypocrite?

Also, is it possible that this is not a qualifier but an adjective added for emphasis?

One more thing, could you give some examples of unknown or willful sin? Some from the Bible and some from personal experience would be cool. If I could fathom some possibilities I might be more open to the idea.

Nile

2007/8/9 18:53Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
That is fine and true - I would certainly use a better term then perfect because many have the same understanding and reaction to the term perfect as I do, but like I said I don't want to piddle over word meanings if we mean the same thing at heart. The point is we must be VERY careful to make the distinction and make sure we know what people mean when we say "perfect" because there can be great misunderstanding when using such terms.

This is true but where are we getting our definition of 'perfection' from? Popular evangelicalism or the word of God? The cure for abuse is not non-use but right-use. If the evangelical world is using the word wrongly we must point that out but to abandon a biblical concept because some people misuse or misunderstand it is not the right solution.

It results in a mindset where the Bible standard is brought down to the level of human comprehension and attainability. Personally I have never claimed 'perfection' but I have a perfect Saviour who is able to keep me from falling.

The loyal angels are called 'holy angels' in scripture but the glorious beings who surrounded the throne had no consciousness of their own holiness but only of God's. Similarly the 'saint' (holy one) will have no consciousness of his own holiness but only of God's.

It is said of Wesley that although he preached 'Christian Perfection' he never claimed it. That is not to say that he denied he enjoyed it but simply that such a testimony would never have occurred to him. The child of God will ever, like John Baptist, point away to another saying 'Behold the Lamb'.

Am I able to walk perfectly on earth? Wrong question! and one that can only cause friction. Is he able to keep me from falling? Is he able to save me to the uttermost? Is he able to make all grace abound towards me? Is he able to make me a partaker of his divine nature? Is he able to give me all things that pertain to life and godliness?

These are the questions which will get our eyes on the real answer to our need.

2007/8/10 1:53Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Ah, thanks Ron for jumping in. I'm thankful that God has given you experience in expressing these things. I definitely struggle expressing it!

2007/8/10 3:04Profile
Christisking

Los Angeles, California

Re:

That is exactly what I have been trying to say all along Ron. We need to be very careful about how we use words when the Biblical definition, modern evangelical definition and societal understand are different. The definition of perfect I was talking about was the basic societal understanding based on Weber's definition and dictionary definition which is

Perfect - 1 a : being entirely without fault or defect : FLAWLESS

Quote:
but to abandon a biblical concept because some people misuse or misunderstand it is not the right solution.

It would be terrible to abandon the Biblical concept due to others misuse - we should only abandon the word that cause all of the confusion or misunderstanding or else VERY thoroughly explain EXACTLY what we mean when we are using a word that has a different dictionary and societal meaning the the Biblical definition - but NEVER should we abandon the Biblical concept!!!

Quote:
It is said of Wesley that although he preached 'Christian Perfection' he never claimed it. That is not to say that he denied he enjoyed it but simply that such a testimony would never have occurred to him. The child of God will ever, like John Baptist, point away to another saying 'Behold the Lamb'.

Actually I do believe he did deny to having obtained it more then once, but that is neither here nor there. But I have actually heard people claim to have obtained not only "Christian perfection" as Wesley taught, but to go even father and claim complete sinless perfection. This is sad because in order to make such a claim as you have so aptly put one would have to take there focus so far away from Christ and place in upon a doctrine and self rather then on Jesus. This type of mis-focus is VERY dangerous.

Quote:
Am I able to walk perfectly on earth? Wrong question!

It is the wrong question in general, but rather it can be the right question in certain circumstance and when dealing with someone who claims an extreme form of perfection that goes beyond the realm of Scripture - then the question, as I said in certain circumstances be the apt question to ask. Don't mean to split hair Ron - I agree it is the wrong question to ask in most cases :-)

Patrick
www.revivalarmy.com

2007/8/10 3:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy