SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Are we called to be watchman

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
perilous

Are we called to be watchman

Are we called to be modern day watchman? yes or no. why or why not?

2007/8/8 0:35Profile

Re: Are we called to be watchman

Mark 13:33
Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is.

2007/8/8 0:39
sermonindex

Canada

Online!

Quote:

I do not believe all are called to be watchmen. I would say that the role of watchman is more directed towards prophets in the new testament. Ezekiel was a watchman but also declared a prophet also.

2007/8/8 0:44Profile

Re:

I believe Paul was a watchman and he said imitate him, so as long as the modern day called watchman remains in tune with the prophets and the watchman of the Old Testament and the New Testament they should warn the people, not about when, but what. They should warn against evil and coming destruction, they should define what evil is and what evil brings. Advise the people of what Jesus can bring about in their life and also that he gives eternal life. Just because someone is or not a seminary graduate, does not determine whether they are called or not called of God.

2007/8/8 13:31

Re:

Interesting thoughts!

What about the parable of the ten virgins? Even the careful ones with extra oil slept, but [i]someone[/i]was watching, [i]someone[/i] cried out, "Behold the Bridegroom!"

God said to Ezekiel, "I have made you a watchman..." for a specific task for a specific time (Ezek 33:7).

But Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for not discerning the signs of the times, (and not recognising that the Messiah had come and was speaking to them). So the message to watch is for all - even if not all are called to a specific office (if there is one) as a "watchman". Any more than everyone who prophesies has the office and call of a prophet.

Yet Moses said, "I wish [i]all[/i] God's people were prophets, and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them".

Everyone who is in the Spirit should be aware of the signs of the times, whether they have a specific call as a "watchman" or not.

But even being awake and aware in itself isn't enough. Are we living as faithful servants? This is an especial challenge to those in leadership, but also applies to all of us.

Of the 70 elders upon whom the Spirit came in the days of Moses, NONE got into the Promised Land.

Luke 12 (my emphasis)

[i][color=000066]35 “Let your loins be girded and your lamps burning, 36 and be like men who are waiting for their master to come home from the marriage feast, so that they may open to him at once when he comes and knocks. 37 Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes; truly, I say to you, he will gird himself and have them sit at table, and he will come and serve them. 38 If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them so, blessed are those servants! 39 But know this, that if the householder had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into. 40 You also must be ready; for the Son of man is coming at an unexpected hour.” 41 Peter said, [u]“Lord, are you telling this parable for us or for all?[/u]” 42 And the Lord said, “Who then is the faithful and wise steward, whom his master will set over his household, to give them their portion of food at the proper time? 43 Blessed is that servant whom his master when he comes will find so doing. 44 Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. 45 But if that servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed in coming,’ and begins to beat the menservants and the maidservants, and to eat and drink and get drunk, 46 the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know, and will punish him, and put him with the unfaithful. [/color][/i]

Blessings

Jeannette

2007/8/9 6:57

Re:

Littlegift wrote:
But Jesus rebuked the Pharisees for not discerning the signs of the times, (and not recognising that the Messiah had come and was speaking to them). So the message to watch is for all - even if not all are called to a specific office (if there is one) as a "watchman". Any more than everyone who prophesies has the office and call of a prophet.

moe_mac wrote: Amen good thoughts Littlegift
The body is made up of many parts and all are important the make the body function properly.

2007/8/9 11:12

perilous asked

Quote:

I'm not sure what a modern day watchman would do, or how he or she would function, especially if he or she was a member of a local assembly of believers.

What did you have in mind?

2007/8/10 17:45
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

I was kind of wondering the same thing, in what context is the term "watchman" being used?
Joe

2007/8/10 18:04Profile

Re:

Quote:

dorcas wrote:

perilous asked
Quote:

I'm not sure what a modern day watchman would do, or how he or she would function, especially if he or she was a member of a local assembly of believers.

What did you have in mind?

Surely "watchmen" are those who understand the signs of the times and are awake and aware of what the Spirit is saying to the churches.

The function in practical terms is presumably to warn God's people. Whether in the local church context or another context makes little difference to that function, though the "modus operandi" would be different depending on where that person was sent.

Maybe the difference between a "watchman" and a prophet is that the watchman warns God's people, while a prophet's call is more general?

Ezekiel, and many other OT prophets fulfilled both roles.

But sometimes such a one would have to keep silent, as Ezekiel had to lie on his side and be dumb - showing the message by actions only - until the Lord opened his mouth.

Ezekiel was told to speak and give warning, even though the "rebellious house" would mostly refuse to hear.

In Him

Jeannette

2007/8/10 18:37

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy