SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : made in God's image

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
LoveHim

Indiana, US

made in God's image

in what way was man made in God's image? what exactly does that mean? i thought that it meant that we were created with the ability to choose to obey God or not (like adam and eve). just curious to know.

2007/8/6 17:34Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Re: made in God's image

Man has the ability to reason, man has a will
to choose, man can relate emotionally (love)
and express that love; man is body, a
soul, and a spirit. :-D

2007/8/6 19:09Profile
theopenlife

Re:

This is somewhat lengthy, but I wanted to give you a sound answer...

My view differs strongly from that of Sojourner and many others. Although I began with a similar position as hers, I have come to what I believe is more scriptural.

The text implies that Adam was created in a way that made him distinctly closer to the nature of God than the other creatures. Was it his ability to reason that set Adam apart? Perhaps his initial freedom of choice and capacity to express affection? I do not think so.

Many creatures express some limited ability to reason, to choose, and to express affection. If this weren't the case, who would own own cats and dogs? Daily our pets display the ability to reason between the benefits and consequences of obeying us. When they choose to obey, we reward them with the benefits of mutual affection. Though the affections and reasoning of animals are lower than ours, they are undeniably legitimate and we must not deny it.

So then, in what way was Adam made in God's image?

Begin with a consideration of Genesis 1:27

Genesis 1:27 "God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them."

The word translated "man" is exactly the Hebrew "Adam". Adam was then, in some sense, initially made in the image of God distinct from the beasts. Likewise the woman, whose title means "from out of the man", would bear the characteristics.

However, there is an apparent shift after the fall in to corruption. For Genesis 5:3 says that "Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in [b]his own likeness, and after his image[/b]; and called his name Seth."

My belief is that man forfeited the image of God in the fall and now has an original nature patterned after fallen Adam. If this seems unlikely, it is explicitly stated in scripture.

Ephesians 4:22-24 "Put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness."

Colossians 3:10 "Put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him."

When Adam sinned he forfeited the [i]image and likeness[/i] that set him apart from the beasts, namely knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness. The other creatures have no special awareness or worshipful knowledge of the creator. Neither do they enjoy the unique privileges of righteousness and holiness that come with moral agency as it was given to man.

When a person becomes a "new creation" in Christ, his regenerate nature is formed after the pattern of this original image of God. Until a person is born again he remains corrupt and follows after the likeness of fallen Adam.

This is not a new view. Such as Matthew Henry have held it as well, and to me it seems less humanistic and more biblical.

God bless you in your studies.

2007/8/6 20:16Profile

Thoughts posted about a month ago on this subject. I'm sure there are other things in the passage as well, when it speaks of man made in HIS IMAGE.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17918&forum=44

2007/8/6 20:18
theopenlife

Re:

Interesting vantage, Moe_Mac, but I differ. It comes to mind that fallen angels are said to have dominion and authority, yet have no image and likeness of God to their credit. How does Man differ then from holy angels? The creation of man is unique because men alone were intended to enjoy intimacy and friendship with God. Which of the angels were privileged to take walks with God in the garden each day?

Not a point of contention at all, but a little different none the less. I'd be interested to know your views on my post below and to see how they hold up against the light of other scriptures.

2007/8/6 20:32Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

This thread could take many avenues and I'll leave it to others to explore all the depth of meaning of "in the image of God He created him", but the wonderful thing that I take from that verse is that man is the crowning glory of God's creation because no other created thing is given this distinction of being made in His image.

In this age of humanistic philosophy where man is simply the result of random processes, the question of "who am I" has no meaningful answer. But God declares that we are the crowning glory of His creation and therefore every human being - no matter how strong, beautiful, and smart, or how weak, decrepit, maimed and handicapped - is of tremendous value and deserves our love and respect, to Him be the glory!

In Christ,

Ron

2007/8/6 21:02Profile

Re:

Interesting vantage, Moe_Mac, but I differ. It comes to mind that fallen angels are said to have dominion and authority, yet have no image and likeness of God to their credit. How does Man differ then from holy angels? The creation of man is unique because men alone were intended to enjoy intimacy and friendship with God. Which of the angels were privileged to take walks with God in the garden each day?

Not a point of contention at all, but a little different none the less. I'd be interested to know your views on my post below and to see how they hold up against the light of other scriptures.

moe_mac response:
I agreed with your post and not taken as a contention. I guess I failed to convey or to make plain the main point of my post, which was HIS AUTHORITY and HIS DOMINION. He gave HIS people a little bit of what he has all of, AS IN OVER THE FISH AND THE ANIMALS. Even the people who haven't surrender their lives to HIM are under his dominion, HE controls the air they breathe, they just haven't realized it yet and they will reap what they sow according to HIS WORD. He uses even lost people at times for HIS purposes and for HIS people, for discipline and otherwise. He can even make our enemies at peace with us if he sees fit. When we physical die or Christ returns, then every knee will bow confess that Jesus Christ is LORD and agree that he has total AUTHORITY AND DOMINION, except for many it will be to late to recognize it.
edit: And the fallen angels know where they are going and they know HE has dominion over them, they just want to take as many people with them as they can to hell.

2007/8/6 21:35
theopenlife

Re:

Agreed, brother.

2007/8/6 21:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy