SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Holiness Possible Today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Marcos

Holiness Possible Today?

Is it not amazing how angry so many "Christians" become when holiness is preached? Many loudly proclaim that holiness in this life is impossible and that God surely could not expect that of us.
Why should it be so surprising that God would demand this of us? After all, did not His Son die on the cross to deliver us from sin? He not only paid the penalty, but also gave us the victory over the power of sin in this life.
Moreover, the Christ in us, who is the hope of glory, is our holy God. Moreover, it really isn't holiness we are seeking, but rather we are seeking to know the Holy One Himself. And as we develop in our love relationship with the Holy One, is it not reasonable to expect that we will become like the One we love?
Therefore, holiness truly is impossible for those who do not have a continuing love walk with Jesus because they are not being conformed to His image, but rather to the image of the world.
For us, however, who desire Jesus above all else, holiness is to be expected and is the norm.

2007/8/5 20:29Profile
LiveforGod

Re: Holiness Possible Today?

Amen Brother.

Quote:
For us, however, who desire Jesus above all else, holiness is to be expected and is the norm.

How true.

2007/8/5 21:04Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Amen, brother. Holiness is desiring Christ
within us, knowing Christ within us, the
hope of glory!! :-D

2007/8/5 21:32Profile

Re:

Holiness, perfection, righteousness, purity, are all summed up in a heart of love. Love for God and man is all that God requires and expects from everyone.

Titus 2:11 says that grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts, and that we live righteously, soberly, and godly, IN THIS PRESENT WORLD!

The grave is not the Savior, death is not the cure!

We must let Jesus save us now or He will never save us!

We must choose to deny ourselves, pick up our cross, and follow Christ now in this life or we'll never do it.

We must choose to be born again in this life or we will die in our sins!

The belief that holiness is impossible results in unholy living! Only those who believe in holiness will live holy!

To genuinely aim one must genuinely believe! No man will attempt to perform what he believes to be impossible.

The belief in "inability" leads to the practice of inactivity!

And justice never punishes the incapable for failure to perform the impossible! Holiness is required of all because holiness is possible for all!

Our souls should leapw ith joy at the truth that that we don't have to continue to sin against God and man, but we can rather choose to love God and man!

Blessed are the pure in heart! Only they will see God! Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness! For they will be filled!

2007/8/5 21:40
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Indeed Marcos, the resistance to such teaching is almost militant, when you'd think that it would be good news!
The gospel is still as offensive as it was 2000 years ago.

2007/8/5 23:21Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

i think holiness is not so much a possibility as it as a requirement, if your not holy your not going to heaven.

2007/8/6 5:40Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled. --Matthew 5:6

It may be said without qualification that every man is as holy and as full of the Spirit as he wants to be.
He may not be as full as he wishes he were, but he is most certainly as full as he wants to be. Our Lord placed this beyond dispute when He said, "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after
righteousness: for they shall be filled." Hunger and thirst are physical sensations which, in their acute stages,may become real pain. It has been the experience of countless seekers after God that when their desires became a pain they were suddenly and wonderfully filled. The problem is not to persuade God to fill us, but to want God sufficiently to permit Him to do so. The average Christian is so cold and so contented with His wretched condition that there is no vacuum of desire into which the blessed Spirit can rush in satisfying
fullness.

Born After Midnight, 8.
"Lord, quiet my heart today and fill me with this holy longing. I don't want to be contented with my present
condition; I long for that vacuum of desire into which the Holy Spirit can rush. Amen."

A.W Tozer

2007/8/6 5:46Profile
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Yes, holiness is possible for those who long for it. If it were not then I'd cry to God to let me die for if I can't be like my blessed Jesus then God would be terribly cruel to put such a burning desire in my heart. The one thing that has made me seek God with everything that I am and have is simply seeing how holy God can make a man. I've never met anyone like him before or since. May God make my life an example like that to others and may He make each one of us as holy as a saved sinner can possibly be.

2007/8/6 8:32Profile
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

yes, in a world where we all are hit by impure images and things from all around us

Ro 5:20 - Show Context
Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

We all need prayer for purity, holiness is possible

Heb 12:14 - Show Context
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

We need holiness as we cannot see the Lord,

2007/8/6 11:45Profile

Re:

I think I understand what everyone is saying. There are those, however, who believe that holiness and perfection are the same thing... and they are not.

How many times did Paul lament the battle between his flesh and his spirit? Paul said that the things he didnt want to do... he did. And the things he knew he should do... he didnt.

Sin and the flesh is something that we all battle until that day when we are received into glory. This is not an excuse to sin, but we are foolish to think that we will reach a stage in our walk where we are perfect, and stop sinning and stop having thoughts that are not pure. It is a constant battle.

I think when people confuse holiness with sinless perfection they can become very frustrated with their walk. I believe anyone who says they have reached sinless perfection (and I know some! Met one on here a few weeks ago) they had better watch their back because the sin of pride may well be sneaking up behind them.

If we ever did reach a state of sinless perfection in this life, we would no longer need God's grace and mercy... which are the main ingredients of salvation.

Krispy

2007/8/6 12:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy