SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : recent poll

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

recent poll

A recent poll reveals that our fellow Americans are growing progressively more skeptical of the existence of God and do not believe in other key principles taught in the Bible.

While the May Gallup Poll indicates that a large majority of Americans deem that there is a God (86 percent), that belief is shrinking (90 percent in May 04).

Other findings in the poll indicate that many individuals’ belief in God is tentative, since lesser percentages also express a belief in heaven (81 percent), in angels (75 percent), in the Devil (70 percent) and in hell (69 percent).

The poll also found only 56 percent of respondents saying that religion was “very important” in their own lives. Twenty-six percent said religion was “fairly important,” while 17 percent said it was “not very important.” Remember, these are the same people that overwhelmingly said they believe in God.

These numbers indicate that while people may believe in God, they are not concurrently interested in applying godly principles to their lives. Also consider that in 1965, 70 percent of Americans said that religion was “very important” in their lives. That’s a 14 percent decrease over the last four decades.

I believe this poll is indicative of our nation’s corresponding moral freefall during that same time period. As our nation has become increasingly secular — with many lawmakers, judges and leaders demanding this secular conversion — we have seen corresponding rises in crime, corruption, promiscuity, unwed pregnancy, abortion, and a host of other scars on our national fabric.

What does this mean?

Sadly, I believe it means the church has failed, in many ways, to provide answers to our nation. We have too often expressed disfavor with the growing secular tide, but have habitually done little to effect the destructive transformation of our society.

Consider with me another recent Gallup Poll in which the following question was asked: “Which of the following statements comes closest to describing your views about the Bible? The Bible is the actual word of God and is to be taken literally, word for word. The Bible is the inspired word of God, but not everything in it should be taken literally. Or, The Bible is an ancient book of fables, legends, history, and moral precepts recorded by man.”

The results were disappointing.

The percentage of those saying the Bible should be taken literally was only 28 percent. The percentage of those saying the Bible is inspired but should not be taken literally was a striking 49 percent. And the percentage of those saying the Bible is a fable was 19 percent.

In 1976, 38 percent in a similar poll said that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and should be taken literally. That’s a 10 percent drop.

It is apparent that man is progressively creating God in his own image and following alternative religions and teachings.

Reading this poll, my mind harkened to the words of II Timothy 4:4: “And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.”

This is a picture of the “falling away” in the last days before Christ’s imminent return.

Today, there are so many substitute theologies that are leading people away from the truth. This is why it behooves believers — those who have placed their faith in God and fully adhere to the tenets of the Bible — to be fearless representatives of the Gospel.

Many of the false doctrines of our day, in addition to the growing quest to secularize our nation, are leading people away from the truth of the Gospel.

Jude 1:3,4 warns us of a time when the church itself will be afflicted by false prophets, and also presses the urgency for believers to remain true to the faith: “Beloved … earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares … denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.”

The church of Jesus Christ must rise up against false teachings that are pulling people away from the foundations of truth. We must fervently, and compassionately, reach out to those who have fallen away.

Our culture is increasingly adverse to the absolute truths of the Bible and those who embody those truths. Nevertheless, we must be constant salt and light representatives of Christ, the one True God, even as the culture falls away.

2007/8/3 17:19
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: recent poll

Quote:
Sadly, I believe it means the church has failed, in many ways, to provide answers to our nation. We have too often expressed disfavor with the growing secular tide, but have habitually done little to effect the destructive transformation of our society.

The Bible said this would happen. Could we really have prevented it?

...just writing out loud.

2007/8/3 19:08Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:

This I do not doubt for one minute. But you know what? I suspect most who have fallen away did not intend to do that, do you think? Does this 'falling away' not happen bit by bit, here a little and there a little and after while you embrace ideas that would have shocked you at one time? But now you excuse them for whatever reason the devil brings to you...one may be that the times are changing and that we need to keep up with the times, or that God wants me to be happy....you name it. All self centered - always.

Thanks for posting, moe mac ,

ginnyrose

2007/8/3 19:39Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Quote:
The church of Jesus Christ must rise up against false teachings that are pulling people away from the foundations of truth. We must fervently, and compassionately, reach out to those who have fallen away.

Amen.

I heard a radio preacher give some of these figures out on his show. He kept mentioning how shocked he was. I kept wondering if he had ever read the Bible.

We should be many things over these stats, but shocked is not one of them.

2007/8/3 20:12Profile

Re:

Let's give the radio preacher the benefit of the doubt in that he was shocked about it was occuring in his life time or that is occurred more quickly than he anticipated it would. Don't know just typing out loud.

2007/8/3 21:27
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Let's give the radio preacher the benefit of the doubt

I agree. I’m not judging him. I guess you had to hear it. It sounded like he had not been outside his house in the last 50 years.

2007/8/3 21:46Profile
pastorfrin

Quote:

Hi moe_mac,
Good post, should give us all something to...

One thing we should be doing is repenting. In Matt. 24 Jesus said even the elect would be deceived if it were possible.

1 Cor. 10:12
Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

We need to understand the times we are living in;

55 times the words ‘take heed’ are used by the Holy Spirit in God’s Word.

It would be well for all to ‘take heed’ and examine ourselves that we be not found wanting.

Daniel 5:27
Tekel; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting.

Then and only then can we obey and do as Paul instructed Timothy.

2 Tim. 3:16-4:5
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
[4:1] I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; [2] Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. [3] For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; [4] And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. [5] But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

His Grace is sufficient, we must remember it is the Lord himself who said “upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

I believe He is able, the question is, are we usable vessels?

In His Love
pastorfrin

2007/8/3 22:00Profile
sojourner7

Omaha, NE

Researchers from Baylor Institute for Studies
of Religion examined American's conception of
God and found the largest share--about 31%
think of God as "authoritarian", deeply
involved in peoples lives and worldly events,
angry and capable of punishing those who are
unfaithful.
Nearly one quarter (25%) consider God as a
distant force that set the laws of nature in
motion but is not active in the affairs of
the world. About the same percentage view
God as "benevolent" active in their daily
lives, but less willing to condemn or punish.
And about 16% consider God to be "critical",
an observer who views the state of the world
unfavorably and will mete out punishment in
another life.

**Makes me wonder: Are we preaching the
AlMighty, Eternal, Holy, Invisible, Omni-
present, Omniscient God or are we choosing
a concept we are comfortable with instead
of desiring and seeking a real relationship
with Him?? God is not a concept, He is
reality!!

2007/8/3 23:41Profile