Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Insight Not Emotion ~ Chambers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Insight Not Emotion ~ Chambers

[i]“I have to lead my life in faith, without seeing Him.”[/i]
2 Corinthians 5:7

For a time we are conscious of God's attentions, then, when God begins to use us in His enterprises, we take on a pathetic look and talk of the trials and the difficulties, and all the time God is trying to make us do our duty as obscure people. None of us would be obscure spiritually if we could help it. Can we do our duty when God has shut up heaven? Some of us always want to be illuminated saints with golden babes and the flush of inspiration, and to have the saints of God dealing with us all the time. A gilt-edged saint is no good, he is abnormal, unfit for daily life, and altogether unlike God. We are here as men and women, not as half-fledged angels, to do the work of the world, and to do it with an infinitely greater power to stand the turmoil because we have been born from above.

If we try to re-introduce the rare moments of inspiration, it is a sign that it is not God we want. We are making a fetish of the moments when God did come and speak, and insisting that He must do it again; whereas what God wants us to do is to "walk by faith." How many of us have laid ourselves by, as it were, and said - "I cannot do any more until God appears to me." He never will, and without any inspiration, without any sudden touch of God, we will have to get up. Then comes the surprise - "Why, He was there all the time, and I never knew it!" Never live for the rare moments, they are surprises. God will give us touches of inspiration when He sees we are not in danger of being led away by them. We must never make our moments of inspiration our standard; our standard is our duty.

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=484] Oswald Chambers[/url]

2007/8/1 0:09Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re: Insight Not Emotion ~ Chambers

I think this is true. It resonates with my experience (if the Word said otherwise I'd reject experience of course...*always careful*). It's a good reminder, too, thanks.
:-)

2007/8/1 0:24Profile

Re: Insight Not Emotion ~ Chambers

Oswald Chambers said:

Quote:
How many of us have laid ourselves by, as it were, and said - "I cannot do any more until God appears to me." He never will

"He never will"? Come on, are we limiting Him to our own reasonings? I have laid down on my bed saying, "LORD I don't know what else to do in this situation, your going to have to intervene, I can't do it". And He has come and has intervened in areas that I simply could not change. Time and time again He has appeared to save me out of my woes.

Peter was thrown in jail, he was limited to his surroundings, but an Angel appeared and drew him out. Where is the "He will never" appear in this?
All things are possible to them that believe.

I am sure that Chambers was referring to persons who are sulking and having a pity party expecting the LORD to physically appear, but thats not how it was conveyed. God does appear in ways that are past finding out, most times we don't seem Him working but after the whirlwind has passed we see the results.

2007/9/27 9:27
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Chambers

"[i]Some of us always want to be illuminated saints with golden babes and the flush of inspiration, and to have the saints of God dealing with us all the time.

If we try to re-introduce the rare moments of inspiration, it is a sign that it is not God we want.

We are making a fetish of the moments when God did come and speak, and insisting that He must do it again;

whereas what God wants us to do is to "walk by faith."

How many of us have laid ourselves by, as it were, and said - "I cannot do any more until God appears to me."

He never will, and without any inspiration, without any sudden touch of God, we will have to get up. Then comes the surprise - "Why, He was there all the time, and I never knew it!"

Never live for the rare moments, they are surprises.

God will give us touches of inspiration when He sees we are not in danger of being led away by them. [/i]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just to break it up a little brother, I hear what you are saying, but;

Quote:
"He never will"? Come on, are we limiting Him to our own reasonings? I have laid down on my bed saying, "LORD I don't know what else to do in this situation, your going to have to intervene, I can't do it". And He has come and has intervened in areas that I simply could not change. Time and time again He has appeared to save me out of my woes.

You did get up right? ;-)
And I might suppose that the intervening came about somewhere after you got yourself dressed ...

My sense is in more of our dictating outcomes based on past expreiences ...[i]We are making a fetish of the moments when God did come and speak, and insisting that He must do it again[/i]

2007/9/27 9:42Profile

Re: Chambers

Quote:
We are making a fetish of the moments when God did come and speak, and insisting that He must do it again

ahh, gotcha. I understand. :knockedout:

2007/9/27 10:05

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy