SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : OPEN AIR PREACHING

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread

OPEN AIR PREACHING

What are the best ways to effectively open air preach for God's glory and the way Jesus, Paul, etc. did it? I believe the best way is to preach the Law (10 commandments) because the bible says it is 'perfect, converting the soul'. It teaches sin, gives us knowledge of sin, and is our tutor to Christ.
I also think we should consider the fact that few will truly respond to the call of repentance and faith because God must do the work in them not by man's own ability.
john 1:11-13
"He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him.
But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name, who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God"

2007/7/20 8:41

Re: OPEN AIR PREACHING

We need to use the law, it has a definite role in converting the soul. The law awakens careless sinners.

Paul reasoned about sin, righteousness, and judgment to come. This awakens a sinner to reconsider his life.

Paul also said "we love him because he first loved us".

It's the preaching of the cross which makes men fall in love with Jesus, and therefore repent out of love rather then repent out of mere selfish fear.

So that is how I see. Preach against sin (the law) and preach hell (judgment) which awakens the sinner, and preach the cross (God's love) which makes men fall in love with God, so they love Him because He first loved us.

We need to take the message of the love of God to all men, that God wants everyone to be saved and that Jesus died for all men. But that they must repent (turn from their sinning) and put their faith (trust) in the Lord Jesus Christ in order to have the forgiveness offered through Christ.

2007/7/20 8:57
IC

Re:

Quote:
so they love Him because He first loved us.

AMEN!!!!

2007/7/20 9:53Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

The Scriptures teach that we are saved by grace through faith. And Paul tells us that saving faith comes by hearing the word of God. And the content of that saving faith is that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that God has raised Him from the dead. Without such a belief and confession, no man can be saved, for such a belief and confession is the grounds of our salvation.

So above all, preach the cross of Jesus Christ. Preach Christ crucified. But as my pastor once pointed out: It's not the Jesus on the cross that can do anything for you, but it's the Jesus at the right hand of the Father in heaven that can do something for you. Unless men come to have a revelation that Jesus Christ is alive, they will remain dead in their sin.

So, to be a merely moralist in your preaching, and preaching the law will simply not do. While it is necessary to call out sin (as men must repent of their sins), all the conviction and repentance in the world will mean nothing unless they come to believe that Jesus Christ is alive from the grave.

If you closely study the book of Acts, you will find that was the true thrust of apostolic preaching. You can see that from Peter's preaching on the day of Pentecost to Paul's preaching before Felix & Agrippa. Peter preached "You Jews sinned by murdering Jesus Christ, whom God raised from the dead." Paul preached, "God's appointed a day when all men will be judged for their deeds, by One whom God raised from the dead!"

This in a nutshell is the gospel of Jesus Christ. The resurrection of Christ must not be merely an "oh, by the way..." thing we add to the end of our preaching. It must be the very center of it. And such preaching can only issue out of the life of a person who has indeed made Christ their very life, and are dependent upon the resurrection power of Christ. It's easy to fake true preaching by going out to do open-air with a bag of tricks you learned from Ray Comfort and WOTM. But what you can't fake is resurrection power.

The problem with so much street preaching is that some of us street preachers go out merely to convince men that they are awful sinners in the hands of an angry God. And while this is true, and such must be preached, don't take a truth and make it the truth. For such ought not to be the grounds of their repentance. For what turned the world upside down in the book of Acts was not convincing men they were awful sinners (the Pharisees had long been doing that)... but what turned the world upside down was that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. As a result of such a belief, genuine repentance comes forth. For to believe such an awesome thing, that God raised a dead man back to life after three days, how can one ever remain the same after coming to believe such a thing?

Sadly though in my typing of this, many of you who read this will not hear. You'll go on with your silly moralizing sermons and bag of tricks. And why? Because you yourself have not truly had a personal revelation of the holiness of God and the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Instead, you will go out in your own power to preach, instead of going out in His. And as Art Katz has wonderfully shown, there is a difference between "went" and "sent."

2007/7/20 10:06Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

There is a great book I'm reading now that I think every street preacher should read. I'm only 1/2 way done with it now myself, but have found it amazingly good.

"The Soul Winner" by Charles H. Spurgeon. He has so much more to say about preaching to the lost than what WOTM and others have credited him with. In fact, such a use of him is a rather shallow use of him. He had so much more wonderful things to say.

I recently posted a chapter out of his book from "The Soul Winner" here on SI. The name of the chapter is, "How to Raise the Dead." It would be something all of us should carefully read and digest:

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18112&forum=34#142040]How To Raise the Dead by C. H. Spurgeon[/url]

2007/7/20 10:13Profile

Re:

Well said KingJimmy! I believe the law must be used, as Spurgeon said, the needle and the gospel being the thread. We must pierce a sinners heart with the needle before delievering the gospel. Law to the proud, grace to the humble.
I do understand Law, Law, Law can easily create a perfectionist, condemning, stressed, works salvation. I was a victim of this before I began to understand the true character and attributes of God. God's glory and attributes have got to be the center. The law has got to be presented. Let them know they have the S.I.N. virus before we give them the gospel cure.

2007/7/20 10:21
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Let them know they have the S.I.N. virus before we give them the gospel cure.

This generally is a nice idea, but nowhere in Scripture is such demanded as a logical first required order. A preacher once said, if you were to take somebody who had never known anything but poverty their entire lives and suddenly placed them in the house of a rich man, they would instantly notice the difference without somebody saying so much as a word.

So it is with Christ. Once a sinner truly gets a glimpse of Christ, and just how majestic He is, they will realize their poverty. It's much like Isaiah 6, where Isaiah had a revelation of the majesty and holiness of God, and instantly he realized something about himself and his people that he had never seen before... and he was one already well acquainted with the law. But until that revelatory experience, he still remained blind of his sin.

Such is why first and foremost with our preaching, whatever we preach we must convey a sense of God and who He is. For unless we bring heaven down, and actually make Christ known, then all our preaching is but vain repetitions.

2007/7/20 10:35Profile

Re:

I completely understand and agree. My point is that if you told me every attribute of God and the beauty of who He is, the great I AM. A sinner would say 'that's cool but what does that have to do with me'. The sinner must recognize what he is because he is blind and dead to ever understanding what you're talking about. That is way the law must be preached, it gives sinners the understanding of sin, points them to the cross and shows the beauty, love, grace, and mercy of God through Christ. The understand the the glory of God through His ultimate sacrifice and the hell they deserve.
If you leave them hanging without the law you are throwing pearls to swine.

2007/7/20 10:45
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
This generally is a nice idea, but nowhere in Scripture is such demanded as a logical first required order.

KJ, it's very good that you understand this. Not many do. I suppose it must be experienced rather than acquired from a book. I've found out that there are no formulas with God, no efficacious orders of presentation. God looks for those who have purified their souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit. He searches for clean vessels that have no confidence in the flesh. Such men and women are filled with the wisdom of the Spirit and are led by God in their preaching and presentation of the gospel.

Quote:
Once a sinner truly gets a glimpse of Christ, and just how majestic He is, they will realize their poverty.

Precisely! As Zac Poonen would say, [i]the expulsive power of a new affection.[/i]

Brother Paul

2007/7/20 10:49Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

My point is that if you told me every attribute of God and the beauty of who He is, the great I AM. A sinner would say 'that's cool but what does that have to do with me'.

I'm not talking about merely naming the attributes of God in a sermon. I'm talking about actually manifesting the presence of God in your preaching. I'm talking about bringing the realities of heaven down so as to manifest them while preaching. If God's presence is truly made known, such alone will convey His awesomeness in a way merely listing His attributes will not.

Quote:

The sinner must recognize what he is because he is blind and dead to ever understanding what you're talking about.

While the law is a school master, unless you actually convey the dread of God in your preaching through His manifest presence, the sinner will never understand. Moses is still read in the Synagogue today, but still a veil remains over the eyes of the Jews.

2007/7/20 11:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy