SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro TJ

Greetings in Jesus' Name by Whose Blood we are Saved. AMEN.

The RCC has deep pockets but all the same, $600 mil will still hurt. Some of the dioceses have filed bankruptcy.

Money doesn't necessarily mean justice but certainly financial punitive damages are legal and as such can be attained. To be sure there are many frivolous lawsuits which ought to get tossed out. As we live our lives down here we ought to follow the laws of the land in as much as they don't violate God's Laws. There is provision for suing in the Law so it is Legal as far as God is concerned. i used to think along the same lines as you do about suing and getting a settlement, but we have to consider the fact that punitive damages of a financial kind tend to keep people and organizations from repeating wrongs for which they can be so sued. This doesn't happen all the time but it does hurt to get hit in the pocket book saved or not...Then also we must consider that God Himself also operates to punish wrongs using the laws of the land. Eventually everyone will stand before Him and give an account.

Quote:
I too believe in justice, but I don’t see “True Saints” demanding millions of dollars for justice.

i would say that in this regard you're wrong. When i thought along those lines, i was convicted of a false piety which was a twist on pride and had to repent of it.another thing was being jealous of those who would get more money than i have in such settlements. perhaps you may want to consider that perhaps one or both of these could be your motivation for thinking this way?

There is nothing wrong with suing for a large amount of money if it is legal and not frivolous and most of all upon prayerful consideration, God says to do so. Of course when the money comes, there are some other issues to deal with then, obviously wealth should be handled prayerfully to see it is used for what God intends lest we end up indulging ourselves. The True Saint ought to abide by the laws of the land and if a part of punishment or justice allows for suing, then we ought to sue. of course when it comes to dealings with other Christians, we ought to settle matters among ourselves. Paul appealed to Caesar, some might have said that wasn't very saintly but it was legal and God used that occasion to put him before the king as God had promised. Doesn't God work in Mysterious Ways?

Grace and Peace be ours in Jesus' Name. AMEN.

2007/7/16 20:13Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Pitiful.

You said it Brother!

2007/7/16 20:19Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Grace and Peace IRONMAN

I would like to make a change to my statement:

I too believe in justice, but I don’t see *MANY* “True Saints” demanding millions of dollars for justice.

I should not have lumped everyone into the same category.

Quote:
i would say that in this regard you're wrong.

As for my statement being wrong…I’m not sure how you can definitively declare this, but you are entitled to your opinion. I didn't state a law...just said I don't see it...and I still don't.

Quote:
perhaps one or both of these could be your motivation for thinking this way?

I see money as very dangerous, especially in large amounts, and most Saints I know would not want the temptations and responsibilities of being a millionaire…and then there’s that whole “camel through the eye of a needle” thing.

just my 2 cents

You provided some food for thought...thank you.

Grace and Peace Brother

2007/7/16 20:48Profile

Re: Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

tj said

Quote:
I see money as very dangerous, especially in large amounts, and most Saints I know would not want the temptations and responsibilities of being a millionaire…and then there’s that whole “camel through the eye of a needle” thing.

While your statement is completely true, and I realise I'm about to make what may strike you as a sweeping (and therefore unjustifyable) generalisation, you are demonstrating literally no comprehension of the effects of sexual abuse in childhood, or of the difference between it being committed by a family member, a member of the church, or a random stranger, or [i]any[/i] of the other [i]many[/i] subtle nuances of effect according to other individual circumstances and factors.

Whether they are saints or not, your focus on the money may be betraying you. Your previous assertion that survivors should be getting help from the church, from 'the saints', also suggests your idealism is not matched by your realism in respect of this particular subject.

If this sounds harsh, I really do apologise. I love your idealism absolutely, but after this, you have need of patience - a lot of it - if you are to walk with a survivor who knows the Lord, through the years it will take them to be restored to real inner health.

And [i]of course[/i] their relationship with the Lord plays a huge part in this. But, just for a second put your mind to thinking what you might think about God, if a 'priest' had sexually abused you... Do you [i]like[/i] Him? Do you want Him in your life? On what grounds would you now trust Him?

2007/7/17 13:19
IRONMAN

Re:

bro TJ

Greetings in Jesus' Name by Whose Blood we are Saved. AMEN.

your edition to your statement is noted bro.

Quote:
As for my statement being wrong…I’m not sure how you can definitively declare this, but you are entitled to your opinion. I didn't state a law...just said I don't see it...and I still don't.

as i said "i would say you are wrong" which is as you said my opinion. i see it all differently according to the measure of Faith given me as do you. and that i also took into account the law does change things also as we see them.

Quote:

indeed money can be dangerous. i would say though that if God gives Grace enough for us to be uncoupled from sin, handling money for those He has called to such (for His Glory in providing for others) is no big deal. MOney is equally dangerous in small amounts, perhaps even more so because of the view that more money=more danger. When we think we are secure is when we are most vulnerable i think. i used to think along those lines till God showed me i was to be a steward over wealth. initially i ascribed my reluctance for such to piety...God showed me otherwise...it was a twist on pride with a hint of unbelief. essentially i didn't want to handle wealth because i didn't think God capable of extending Grace enough to me to handle it with the Excellence expected of Him. i was taking into account my own strength before His and had to repent of it. i have no desire for wealth but have been given a responsibility by God to do so. Perhaps this may be some more for us both to consider?

God has been most Gracious to us both and indeed all of us!

Grace and Peace be ours indeed in Jesus' Name. AMEN.

2007/7/17 14:32Profile

Re:

If you're going to start a cult (i.e. Catholic Church), and then require all of your "clergy" to be celebate (forbidden to marry: 1 Timothy 4:2-3)... this is what you get. This, and rampant homosexuality (which is also out of control among Catholic "clergy").

The Catholic Church is the great whore which is spoken of in Revelation 17... and we're just seeing the tip of the iceburg. It is much worse than they are admitting, and as we approach the end of days it will get even more evil, sadistic and hellish.

Krispy

2007/7/17 15:09
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
you are demonstrating literally no comprehension of the effects of sexual abuse in childhood, or of the difference between it being committed by a family member, a member of the church, or a random stranger, or any of the other many subtle nuances of effect according to other individual circumstances and factors

That’s because I’m trying to discuss the financial part of this story…not the effects of abuse.

Quote:
Whether they are saints or not, your focus on the money may be betraying you.

I was simply pointing out that in today’s society everyone…I mean most people...that get hurt, whether it be from hot coffee, a car crash, or sexual abuse, want money. I would call pointing this out an observation…not some sort of financial focus.

Quote:
If this sounds harsh, I really do apologise. I love your idealism absolutely, but after this, you have need of patience - a lot of it - if you are to walk with a survivor who knows the Lord, through the years it will take them to be restored to real inner health.

Quote:
And of course their relationship with the Lord plays a huge part in this. But, just for a second put your mind to thinking what you might think about God, if a 'priest' had sexually abused you... Do you like Him? Do you want Him in your life? On what grounds would you now trust Him?

I have a good friend that was repeatedly molested by her father when she was a child. I’m not completely without insight on this topic

Once again, I was just trying to point out how so many people turn to money to fix things.

Maybe some day I will learn to just read these forums.
:-)

2007/7/17 15:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
Maybe some day I will learn to just read these forums.

Hahahahahahahahaahaaaa....

You made my day!

>;')

2007/7/17 15:26
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Grace and Peace IRONMAN

Quote:
Perhaps this may be some more for us both to consider?

Yes it is…thank you.

I have no financial fixation, I was just trying to point out how so many people turn to money to fix things.

2007/7/17 15:32Profile
IRONMAN

Re:

bro TJ

Greetings in Jesus' Name by Whose Blood we are Saved. AMEN

Indeed people do oft turn to money to fix things, without insight on how to use it, it becomes dangerous...

Grace and Peace to us all in Jesus' Name. AMEN.

2007/7/17 15:40Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy