SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Catholic Church to pay $660 million for abuse

Philippe Naughton and agencies

Hundreds of people who claim they were abused by clergy affiliated with the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles can expect to be paid more than $1 million each in a $660 million (£325 million) settlement of their lawsuits.

The deal, by far the largest settlement in the Church’s sexual abuse scandal, was reached yesterday, said Ray Boucher, a lawyer representing the lead plaintiff, and pushes the amount paid out in compensation for abuse since 1950 to more than $2 billion.

Around 500 victims of sexual abuse, some of it dating back as far as the 1940s, will receive over $1.3 million each.

The case had been scheduled to go to trial tomorrow in Los Angeles Superior Court, focusing on 12 plaintiffs who accused a former priest, Clinton Hagenbach, of molesting them. Hagenbach died two decades ago.
Related Links

* An inclusive church reaps ever greater rewards for all

* Church pays price of a scandal

* 40 staff abused pupils for 25 years

One of those plaintiffs was Steven Sanchez who said that he was simultaneously relieved and disappointed. “I was really emotionally ready to take on the archdiocese in court in less than 48 hours, but I’m glad all victims are going to be compensated,” he said. “I hope all victims will find some type of healing in this process.”

Had the case gone to trial, lawyers had sought to put Cardinal Roger Mahony, Archbishop of Los Angeles, in the uncomfortable position of testifying about the Church’s response to abuses dating from the 1940s to the 1990s.

Because the criminal statute of limitations has expired, victims in California and elsewhere have brought lawsuits against the Church over the issue.

A spokesman for the Los Angeles Diocese, speaking a few hours before news of the deal emerged, would only say that church officials planned to be in court on Monday morning.

The judge hearing the case will have to approve the settlement.

David Clohessy, national director of SNAP, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said the deal was by far the largest group settlement with the Catholic Church, although a handful of plaintiffs have received greater amounts on an individual basis than each is to receive from this settlement.

“It is never about the money,” Mr Clohessy said in an interview. “Victims want healing, prevention, closing, accountability.”

The diocese is expected to sell property to raise the settlement funds. The Los Angeles Times newspaper has estimated that the Los Angeles Archdiocese, America's largest, has real estate holdings worth more than $4 billion. Several US Catholic diocese with less substantial holdings have filed for bankruptcy protection in wake of the abuse scandal.

“Though it has always been the position of the Archdiocese that the insurance companies must honor their responsibility to fund a major share of future settlements, the Archdiocese must also be prepared to fund its share of these coming settlements,” Cardinal Mahony said in a statement earlier this year.

“This will require the Archdiocese to begin to dispose of non-essential real estate properties in order to raise funds for coming settlements, and to reevaluate some of the services and ministries it provides to parishes,” he said.

The Archdiocese also settled 46 cases in December for $60 million.

Mr Boucher said negotiations on the settlement nearly collapsed on Friday but were pulled back and concluded yesterday. He said a few religious orders named in the case - the Servites, Claretians and Oblates - declined to participate in the settlement.

[url=http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2079126.ece]Original Link - TimesOnline[/url]

2007/7/16 0:00
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Quote:
“It is never about the money,”

I wonder how many will drop their checks into the offering plate.

**edit**

I see now that my phrasing of the above statement was in poor taste. I was just trying to say that if the “money means nothing” I wonder how many will give it away.

2007/7/16 0:32Profile

tj said

Quote:
I wonder how many will drop their checks into the offering plate.

If you know something about recvering from childhood sexual abuse.... why would you say that?

2007/7/16 10:05
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Hi dorcas

I'm not sure what you are asking.

2007/7/16 10:10Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Maybe I should rephrase:

“It is never about the money,” Mr Clohessy said in an interview. “Victims want healing, prevention, closing, accountability.”

If this is true…I was wondering how many will be giving their money away…because “it’s never about the money”, but they always ask for it…lots of it.

2007/7/16 10:20Profile

Hi tj,

Thank you for your courteous reply. I didn't want to assume you were joking, but I was surprised that anyone would [i]say[/i] that....

I have not been following how much the survivors asked for money, compared with the RCC wishing to be seen to acknowledge the damage done by the abuse.

While I guess that those who have no use for the money (because they have been able to afford the help they need already), may wish to give (some of) it away, your comment implied you believe survivors don't [i]need[/i] 'money', as part of their compensation. In this case also, (it seems) there is for some cases, no-one to put in prison.

Historically, the church has protected the priests who do this, by moving them from parish to parish, basically opening up new populations of children to be molested by the same person. I'm sure they have not changed their internal stance on hiding such perpetrators, as can be seen by how few have ever been abandoned (by the church) to serve appropriate prison terms.

Also, if you were molested 60 years ago, and this is the first public acknowledgement of it, then most of your life has been adversely affected by the abuse.

In fact, if you were molested 2 minutes ago, the [i]rest[/i] of your life will be adversely affected by it. That's why money plays a part in restorative justice, if at all possible. Only the very rich can afford the best type of care for themselves, whether that be experienced counsellors or the many other types of support for daily life which survivors really need.

Many other considerations compound the profundity of the effect of abuse on a victim. As the man said, it IS 'never about the money', and I think if you have time to read around this subject, you will begin to understand that.

However, I do also understand the survivor who wouldn't want to touch the money with a barge-pole, because of its associations. But, that will be rather a luxury for some, and for the same reasons, they might not want to give it to God.... :-?

2007/7/16 11:00
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
Only the very rich can afford the best type of care for themselves, whether that be experienced counsellors or the many other types of support for daily life which survivors really need.

I don’t believe money can buy what they need. The BEST type of care, counseling, and advice will come from saints…and they will not be charging for their services.

I believe if they seek help and healing through God he is completely sufficient to do just that. He does not care about their financial situation nor is he limited by it.

Money does not buy what God gives freely. Complete restoration, healing and deliverance.

I believe this is just another case of “Christians” turning to worldly means (money)to get what only God can give.

2007/7/16 12:12Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don’t believe money can buy what they need. The BEST type of care, counseling, and advice will come from saints…and they will not be charging for their services.

I believe if they seek help and healing through God he is completely sufficient to do just that. He does not care about their financial situation nor is he limited by it.

Money does not buy what God gives freely. Complete restoration, healing and deliverance.

I believe this is just another case of “Christians” turning to worldly means (money)to get what only God can give.

A very close family member of mine was repeatedly sexually assaulted when she was a child. She was unable to have normal relations with a man and generally distrusts people. She is now in her sixties and is just coming to terms with the abuse.

There is nothing "worldy" about demanding justice - the saints cry for it from under the alter day and night.

A million dollars won't buy back thirty years of pain, anguish, and mistrust... but it is a small evidence of justice on earth.

As far as I'm concerned, public castration and execution isn't good enough for a priest who harms a little one.

2007/7/16 16:59
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

First off, this tragedy has struck very close to home in my life as well.

Quote:
A million dollars won't buy back thirty years of pain, anguish, and mistrust... but it is a small evidence of justice on earth.

Money = Justice ???

$600 million out of the Roman Catholic Church is like getting a penny from me. They won't feel a thing.

I too believe in justice, but I don’t see “True Saints” demanding millions of dollars for justice.

my 2 cents

**edit**

Well maybe more than a penny, but I still don’t equate justice with dollar signs.

2007/7/16 17:33Profile

Re:

Quote:
I too believe in justice, but I don’t see “True Saints” demanding millions of dollars for justice.

It's kinda like what happened in the O.J. Simpson trial. After Simpson was aquitted of Murder (the criminal case failed) the families of the deceased went after him in a civil suit.

The Catholic Church has gone to great pains to protect priests caught in this sort of sin - removing them from the States to the Vatican (which is its own country). I don't know of anyone who's been extradited from the Vatican to face charges in another country.

Since the victims can't go after the priests in a criminal suit, they go after those protecting them - the Roman Catholic Church.

I'm sure the victims would rather see the priests hanged from the tallest tree in America. But if a civil suit's the only way they can get some sense of justice, I say "get as much as you can".

Quote:

They are victims, not necessarily saints. But if the Catholic Church won't defend children from this type of abuse, shouldn't the evangelical commmunity step up to the plate and give a voice to those who can't defend themselves?

And since the Catholic Church won't protect them, and the Evangelicals don't lift a finger to help, they turn to the world for justice.

Pitiful.

2007/7/16 19:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy