SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Huckabee: I'm a grace not a law Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Huckabee: I'm a grace not a law Christian

[b]Huckabee: I'm a grace not a law Christian[/b]

The weakness of modern religion is its obsession with sin, G.K. Chesterton once observed. "A modern morality," he wrote, "can only point with absolute conviction to the horrors that follow breaches of the law." And so it has been with the religious conservatives who have overwhelmed the latter-day Republican Party. For preachers like Jerry Falwell, James Dobson and Pat Robertson, the prospect of hell has always been far more vivid than the possibility of heaven. Presidential candidates like Robertson, Pat Buchanan and Gary Bauer have loaded up on the "Thou Shalt Nots" and rarely, if ever, mentioned the grace and serenity that come from doing "for the least of these."

But there is a striking change in the 2008 Republican presidential field. There are two candidates with strong religious credentials, Senator Sam Brownback of Kansas and former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, and both spend far ...

read more: http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0%2C9171%2C1599708%2C00.html

2007/7/14 3:42Profile

Re: Huckabee: I'm a grace not a law Christian

John Wesley said that "thou shalt not" is a burden to the sinners, but "thou shalt not" is a promise to the Saints.

The sinners hears "you cannot or else" the saint hears "you will not, rejoice!"

The difference between a burden is a blessing is the difference between what is wanted and what isn't wanted.

We'd all agree that a focus on sin, which is apart from a focus on Christ, is empty morality.

But I think we'd all agree as well that love for Christ, which thereby automaticly means living free from sin, is a blessed promise of the gospel to the saints; loving Christ and thereby keeping His commandments.

2007/7/14 3:48
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
The weakness of modern religion is its obsession with sin

Personally thinking like this is the downfall of the Church in our generation. A love only gospel, a law-less gospel that only gives forgiveness that damns and does not convert. We are raising a generation of anemic gospel preachers that lead people to hell. Preaching a grace that does not change the sinner to a saint is a false gospel.

2007/7/14 3:52Profile

Re:

hahaha

I wan't sure if you agreed with statements like "I'm a grace, not a law Christian" and "the weakness of modern religion is an obsession with sin"

I believe the weakness is a cowardise to preach against sin! to name sin! to call everyone to turn from sin!

But we must do this out of a love for Jesus, and repentance itself must be done because of a revelation of God's love revealed at the cross, so we choose to love Him because He first loved us.

2007/7/14 3:56

Re:

I agree with the grace but since we have been extended that grace for so great a salvation so rich and so free, why not stay with HIS teachings. If we do then we are HIS disciples indeed. I believe our laws are, whether they are state or federal, a direct reflection of the hearts of the majority. No doubt Huckabee would be more in consistent with the teachings than would most of the other side, but I don't think a campaign is any place to compromise moral beliefs or appease the lukewarm. It is my understanding and beliefs from HIS WORD that the Lord would be more pleased with one if we held to HIS teachings than if we were to win an election with a compromise to the middle or the lukewarm.
Dan 6:10-12
10 Now when Daniel learned that the decree had been published, he went home to his upstairs room where the windows opened toward Jerusalem. Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before. 11 Then these men went as a group and found Daniel praying and asking God for help. 12 So they went to the king and spoke to him about his royal decree: "Did you not publish a decree that during the next thirty days anyone who prays to any god or man except to you, O king, would be thrown into the lions' den?"
The king answered, "The decree stands-in accordance with the laws of the
Dan 6:12-16
stands-in accordance with the laws of the Medes and Persians, which cannot be repealed."
13 Then they said to the king, "Daniel, who is one of the exiles from Judah, pays no attention to you, O king, or to the decree you put in writing. He still prays three times a day." 14 When the king heard this, he was greatly distressed; he was determined to rescue Daniel and made every effort until sundown to save him.
15 Then the men went as a group to the king and said to him, "Remember, O king, that according to the law of the Medes and Persians no decree or edict that the king issues can be changed."
16 So the king gave the order, and they brought Daniel and threw him into the lions' den. The king said to Daniel, "May your God, whom you serve continually, rescue you!"
(from New International Version)

2007/7/14 17:43
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

And to think that Paul said that he sought to know nothing than Christ and Him crucified.

That is the problem with the modern church. We have gotten away from preaching Christ. If one preaches Christ properly, it produces all of what is missing-
-conviction of sin through and because of the broken Law
-need for justification before a Holy God
-One who pays for the broken Law, and makes a way of justification
-Promise of hope to those who are granted faith and repentance

Too many people preach moralism, and put the Law as a means of justification, or simply smack people upside the head with the fact that they are not a godly husband, they are not a godly wife, and on and on. But where do we see Paul ever doing this? or Peter? or Christ?

The gospel is "good news", and not counsel. News is to be declared as a fact to be reckoned with.
-Christ died for sin according to the Scriptures
-Christ rose from the dead according to the Scriptures
-He appeared to the apostles, and to others
-He is coming again to judge the living and the dead
That is news to be declared.

Counsel would be morals, and dead words that have no promise of hope in Christ.

D. Martin Lloyd Jones spoke of the Gospel being like a king who had won the victory. The King then would sent back messengers to declare that the victory had been won, and that his kingdom should be proclaimed and expanded. But then he likened the other aspect of the defeated king who sent back counsellors of war to prepare the people to fight for their lives if they were to be saved, because their king had not won, and thus if they were to be saved it was up to them to do so.

Jesus has gained the victory, and thus we proclaim Him as news to be reckoned with.

2007/7/14 18:12Profile

Re:

Christ gave HIS life to pay for our sins and God had to turn HIS back upon HIS son because couldn't stand to look at our sins laid upon HIS SON. Jesus went thru a terrible crucifing death and rose again so we could too. Immorality is sin and I can't understand why anyone would think that morality doesn't matter in a christians life.

I know when we look at the law it is impossible apart from HIS grace to be justified, His Spirit also sanctifies us. If it were possible to for us to live a sinless life, and it's not, it would not be enough to be pleasing to God, but when he gave us HIS Spirit he wrote His laws in our heart.
Example: If we pleaded guilty before a traffic judge of a violation and the judge had mercy on us and paid for the fine out of his own pocket, do you think he would want us to leave there and get another ticket and continually be in his court. Seems like I remember Jesus telling several people in the scriptures go and sin no more and if we do if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. When I read my Bible I can't see where it says after you have been given grace and mercy go live like the devil and don't stand up for holiness. I know if it was not for his grace and mercy I would be hell bound and HIS Spirit prompts me to strive to live a moral life and to encourge others to do the same. If he gives me any power in any kind of way and he does give us all HIS power, some more than others, and we should use it for HIS glory, we should use it to promote morality and to lift HIS name and when we do men will be drawn to HIMSELF. I am going use it whether it be vote or an legislative or executive act from a government office.

If any believe differently that's ok, but I can't help but speak the truth as I know it.

2007/7/14 19:44

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy