SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Freewill & Boasting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
Lazarus, Would you agree that the will is exercised according to the desires of the heart?

I remember I read a Winkie Pratney article and he said that the heart was man's ultimate intention, that the bible uses the term heart to describe a man's will.

I then started to read Finney and he said the same thing.

So I looked into the hebrew word for heart, for example in Ezekiel when God commanded men to make themselves new hearts. That word in the hebrew can be used to mean "will" or "mind". Both are always connected.

Repentance is when a man changes his mind. The "carnally minded" the scripture says is to "mind the things of the flesh". To mind something is to give attention or preference to.

So a man's heart is a man's preference, or a man's intention. A man's heart is a man's "will" or "mind" in that respect. A sinful heart is a selfish will-intention, a pure heart is a benevolent will-intention.

Righteousness is the heart obedience, or wills obedience, to the conscience - to what a man knows is good.

Sinfulness is the heart obedience, or wills obedience, to the flesh - to whatever feels good.

2007/7/13 23:52
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Lazarus wrote:

"Righteousness is the heart obedience, or wills obedience, to the conscience - to what a man knows is good.

Sinfulness is the heart obedience, or wills obedience, to the flesh - to whatever feels good."

"Obedience, to the conscience" is the result of the influence of the Holy Spirit of God.

"Obedience, to the flesh - to whatever feels good," is influenced by the spirit of Satan.

What do you think?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/7/14 9:19Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Our true righteousness is the Christ in us. That is Who God has made our righteousness complete. Obedience is the fruit of that righteousness.

1 Corinthians 1:29-31 That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

By the Holy Spirit: Jhn 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

by Jesus Christ:
Jhn 16:10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Through His Faith:
Rom 3:22 Even the righteousness of God [which is] by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Rom 4:9 [Cometh] this blessedness then upon the circumcision [only], or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.

Rom 4:11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which [he had yet] being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

Rom 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.

Rom 4:22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

Rom 5:17 For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.)

Righteousness is a Gift of God and that Gift is a Person and that Person is the "Christ in you the hope of Glory".

In Christ: Phillip

2007/7/14 20:08Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
Our true righteousness is the Christ in us. That is Who God has made our righteousness complete. Obedience is the fruit of that righteousness.

Christ is at the right hand of the Father in heaven. It is the Holy Spirit's work to conform us into His Son's image...

So how do we learn about His righteousness?

In Christ
Jeff

2007/7/14 20:13Profile

Re:

I said:

Quote:
"Righteousness is the heart obedience, or wills obedience, to the conscience - to what a man knows is good.

Sinfulness is the heart obedience, or wills obedience, to the flesh - to whatever feels good."

You said:

Quote:
"Obedience, to the conscience" is the result of the influence of the Holy Spirit of God.

"Obedience, to the flesh - to whatever feels good," is influenced by the spirit of Satan.

What do you think?

You are absolutely right. The Spirit influences righteousness, through the presentation of truth. While the devil influences sinfulness, through the presentation of deception and lies.

Both the Holy Spirit and also evil Spirits operate with free moral agents (individuals) through influence, and not force or causation, since personal morality consists in what is personally committed voluntarily and cannot consist in what is forced or caused.

2007/7/14 23:34
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

If you will read John 14,15,16,17 you will see what the Holy Spirits job is. This is just some of what He is: Jhn 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Jhn 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Jhn 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, [even] the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

Jhn 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Most of All the Holy Spirit is the sealer of our salvation of Christ in us.

Jhn 6:27 Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Rom 15:28 When therefore I have performed this, and have sealed to them this fruit, I will come by you into Spain.

2Cr 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Eph 1:13 In whom ye also [trusted], after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

Then He is our Teacher of the Spirit of this Christ that is in us. The Holy Spirit will bring us to this conformity by teaching us who Christ is and how He Christ conforms us to Himself that we might be the son's of God.

The Spirit of Christ in us is the Life of Christ in us and we will bring forth Fruit, that is the Fruit of the Vine, we are His branches and we bring forth the Fruit that is from the Root and the vinedresser who is God the Father. He produces the Fruit in us by the Vine Jesus Christ taught by the Holy Spirit what that fruit is.

The Spirit of Christ makes us the Vine Dressers branches and fruit through the Vine, which is Jesus Christ.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His.

If you see the power of the Holy Spirit taught Paul to teach us who Christ is. Rom 15:19 Through mighty signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God; so that from Jerusalem, and round about unto Illyricum, I have fully preached the gospel of Christ.

This is our life in Christ by His Power.
1Cr 5:4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,

Life in Christ, all understanding and knowing by the power of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/7/15 0:48Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Jesse wrote:

Quote:
Both the Holy Spirit and also evil Spirits operate with free moral agents (individuals) through influence, and not force or causation, since personal morality consists in what is personally committed voluntarily and cannot consist in what is forced or caused.

I believe this is true up to a certain point in an individuals life. Scripture points to a time in each individuals life where God gives up on that individual...because of rebellion.

Rom. 1:24 Therefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, in the lusts of their hearts, to dishonor their bodies among themselves, 25 who exchanged the truth of God for the lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

When God gives one up, the individual has only Satan to deal with. I believe Scripture points to a time in an individuals life where he is spiritually controled by Satan. Look to all the examples given to us of individuals indwelled by demons. Their outward appearances and actions display an inner power that is greater than the original human strengths.

Just a thought...

In Christ
jeff

2007/7/16 1:02Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Phillip wrote:

Quote:
Then He is our Teacher of the Spirit of this Christ that is in us. The Holy Spirit will bring us to this conformity by teaching us who Christ is and how He Christ conforms us to Himself that we might be the son's of God.

How does the Holy Spirit "bring us to this conformity?"

In Christ
jeff

2007/7/16 1:10Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

roaringlamb

Quote:
Better yet, what if the man was dead in the water, and someone came and gave him life, and carried him back to shore!!

Then he couldn't even boast of the life given him let alone anyhting else.

Excellent point!

2007/7/16 8:53Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Tears_of_Joy:

Quote:
Does not God give ability to everyone?

All who desire to repent can repent and receive forgiveness. Those who do not desire to repent cannot repent.

Jesse:
Quote:
God doesn't save us BECAUSE of our freewill. But no man is saved AGAINST his freewill.

We are saved because God's grace, not because ourselves.

It's mans own freewill that keeps him back from coming to God to recieve the salvation that God offers to all men. We cannot boast of saving ourselves. But we must yeild our freewill to God in order to be saved.

The final decision respecting salvation is our own freewill. God is already willing to recieve us, and Christ died for us, but God will not force anyone to heaven. The final decision is ours:

God doesn't save us because of our freewill, but the final decision respecting salvation is our own freewill. Do you see how these two sentences contradict one another?

If the final decision rests in our own freewill then salvation is received because of our freewill, thus (in your view) God saves us because of our freewill.

2007/7/16 9:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy