SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tithing is not a Old Testament Law !

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sdb

tucson

Re: tithing

Karen, from what you wrote it sounds as if we are on the same page, which does not coincide what DCFM had said. I believe giving is a heart issue, and that the LOrd is looking for obedience than mere money.....The tithe is the law, and people are misled to give in compulsion, and not out of obedience to Gods will. Many are taught it is a commandment, many are led into compulsion to give, and out of fear of Gods wrath....not out of there Love of true obedience to him...like offering up a magic potion so God won't do you harm. In Him Scott :-D

2004/4/22 22:58Profile
MyBeloveds

Re:

Hello Scott,

I am not sure we are clearly on the same page, nor am I completly on the same page with DFCM. I agree with what he said regarding the tithe being given before the law. The Word of God speaks for itself as DFCM showed based on the scripture given.

What I am pointing out, is that the tithe is a law if it is placed on a rule of giving 10%. We should give from our heart as the Lord asks or as we so choose. That could be more or less than 10%. God wants us to give to Him in all things, not only monies, from our heart and cheerfully. My point is that to state that 10% MUST be given, would make it a RULE, which then makes it a LAW. We are no longer under the LAW, therefore our giving on anything is based on our relationship with the Lord. If God asks and we do not give, that is still between God and that individual. To say that we have to give 10% as Abraham did BEFORE the law, would also imply (based on New Testament scripture regarding doing as our father Abraham did) that we would have to do everything exactly as he did. I do not believe that is what the Lord is saying there. It was accounted to Abraham as righteousness because of his faith.

I could go on, but I think that is enough and I hope I am making myself clear on what I am sharing.

All For His Glory,
Karen

2004/4/23 10:11Profile
Bobber

Re:

There was mention of tithing before the law but keep in mind there was circumcision before the law to. Do we believe that circumcision for today just because it was before the law. No. So why should folks think we should and must pay tithes from the standpoint of a law in the New Testament? Don't get me wrong im not against giving and say giving your whole paycheck away if God inspired one....and if God ever led one to do this he would provide for that week.....that's basically what the real question is....what is your source of supply....God?

Or your job....I do not believe however from the New Testament that we actually see a tithe demand upon people as yes we see it became for a short period of time during the law....the tithes with Israel in the Old Testament it became a law, but at that time it was a one nation Israel and it became their welfare system....the tithes largely was given to the poor....the nations in which most of us live through taxation are probably giving more money to the poor then most ever did while tithing in Israel. Anyway all we see in the New Testament is an encouragement to give to the poor and God will bless you and to help out those who are preaching the gospel....not a demand or a law...if God meant it to be an actual demand from a percentage standpoint he would have stated a tithe or 10% ....he never did that however.

2004/6/8 9:15Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Bobber wrote:

Quote:
the nations in which most of us live through taxation are probably giving more money to the poor then most ever did while tithing in Israel.

Just a thought, we are actually giving most of the money to those who don't need it. I am talking about corporate welfare, pork and barrel programs, defense programs, and payments to the private banking industry headed by the Federal Reserve.

Sorry for bringing the world into this thread. What is the truth?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/6/8 15:41Profile
nobody

Re:

The Isrealites gave 10% to the Levites not only to support spiritual leadership but governmental as well since it was a theocracy. This was a federal income tax of sorts. They gave another 10% for their festivals, another 10% every three years for "welfare." Then they left their crops unharvested at the edges, the men paid a didrachma temple tax, and they left their land unfarmed one season every seven years. This is like a 25% federal income tax system under a theocracy. To take our 25% federal income tax system and then mandate a law of tithing to the church is very different. If that is proper, then why not mandate a "temple tax" as well? We should give cheerfully to the church and the poor, but consider the ten percent as a reasonable guideline rather than a law.

7 So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

2004/6/10 13:25Profile
Believer

Canada

Re: Tithing, OT? Better Question, NT?

Why, yes, tithing is a new testament/covenant teaching.

We are children of Abraham by faith... the same faith by which he was pronouced righteous by God.

Abraham did a great many things in obedience to God long before the 'law' was given through Moses.

By faith Abraham heard God's voice and left his home in search of a city whose builder and maker is God.

By faith, and in obedience to God, Abraham and all males in his house were circumcised.

By faith he interceded on behalf of the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to the escape of Lot & company.

By faith Abraham being ancient in years became father of nations.

By faith, and in obedience to God, Abraham offered his only son, Issac up to God.

By faith Abraham met and gave a tenth/tithe of everything he possessed to our Melchizedec.

Let all who are of like precious faith with faithful Abraham follow in his steps.

2004/6/10 15:10Profile
All2and4Him

Re:

Money is not an issue. God doesnt demand 10% of your money, he demands it all! EVERYTHING must belong to God. Secondly we are under no law. The laws are the wishes of God, but the real issue is the reason behind why the law was made. Jesus said that the sons are exempt from tithe, and the the Spirit said "behold what manner of love the Father has given unto us, that we could be called the sons of God." So now that takes care of the legal part. Now for the good part. Tithing is a Old Testament law and it shall ever be one because the old testament laws were not enough. We who have the Spirit of God, should rise to a higher standard since we have an empowerment greater than those who had the law. We dont just give 10%, we give everything. Our entire lives and will and wants. If you can further the cause of Christ with money, then do it! Its not about 10% of income being taxed by God, its all about making the gospel go further. We are freed from the law so that we would become holier than we ever could with the law. If you have to talk to the people in the church about investing in the Gospel, I doubt that they truly love God. People that truly love God love that which he loves. He loves the lost people of this world. If they dont love the lost, they dont know God.

All to and for Him,

John

2004/6/11 20:46Profile
Bobber

Re:

Quote:
I am in agreement with DFCM in terms of the practice of tithing. As he so clearly pointed out that Melchizedec was given a tenth by Abraham, and we are of the same faith as Abraham, thus this precept is before us. Do we obey or not is the question.

I would say that we have the same faith as faithful Abraham in that as he called those things which be not as though they were [according to Romans 4] so are we to walk not doubting or staggering at the promises of God. Can we add on to that that we must tithe from the standpoint of a law? I think not. I would say there must be an absolute declaration in the New Covenant which demands it. If we are to do everything Abraham did then if that be so they we must need to circumcisize our children as well for Abraham did that. We know as Christians that is not the case. If we’re going to demand one though why not the other?

Quote:
The love of the truth will show you the condition of your heart.

IM not realy sure what you mean by this. Ive heard some through the years suggest that only reason some people don’t want to tithes is because they’re greedy. I would say that is just as wrong to say as the only reason some ministers emphasisize tithing is because they’re greedy. Is it possible that some are? Yes. But no proof that all are. The same applies with ones who don’t necessarily agree with tithing. It doesn’t mean they’re greedy either and their heart might be right with God.

Quote:
Tithing is a heart issue. Jesus says something to the effect of; you can not serve two masters. We must look to God's ways of discerning the conditions of our hearts.

Here I think is the thing that God wants us to capture. Who or what do you look upon as your source of suppy, God or man, or the natural realm, meaning do you look to your job as your paycheck as your source? For example what if God inspired you to a certain week give your whole paycheck away to the gospel or the poor and he said I’ll provide for you a few days down the road from some other source?

Would most Christians be able to do that, and im talking about the titing ones now. Would that cause them to choke up? If so even though they tithes they are not looking to God as their source but rather then themselves. I would say they are really failing to capture the main thing that God is trying to get across. God should be able to say to one

“Quit that good job you have and say go to this town or city and I’ll give you another job when you get there.” If they’re looking to mammon as their source they wouldn’t be able to that even if they’re members in good standing in their church because they tithe. They may be members in good standing with their church but maybe not with God. They are looking to another thing as being their source and not to God which is really idolarty so they’re not any differnent then those who say don’t tithes.

2004/6/13 10:04Profile
earnestlycontend

Flinstone, GA

Jesus said...

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Notice Christ said to the Pharisees that they were tithing even on small things and then finishes the statement with "these ought ye to have done".

More food for thought.

2004/6/13 20:47Profile
All2and4Him

Re: Jesus said...

Quote:
Notice Christ said to the Pharisees that they were tithing even on small things and then finishes the statement with "these ought ye to have done".

Not really. This was the charge to people under the law. He would have said the same thing about not sewing your garments from two different materials. They ought to obey the whole law. Anyone who breaks one of the laws is guilty of breaking them all. Thank God we are free from the law. Not that we dare turn that into licentiousness.

John C. Kelly

2004/6/14 2:27Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy