SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Regarding seperation from the ungodly among us....

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
bigdaveusa

Regarding seperation from the ungodly among us....

Recently, on another thread, the idea was advanced that christians should not fellowship with the ungodly among our ranks (i.e. those that claim to be christian but practice adultery, drunkeness etc.). I was wondering, how far reaching is this admonition? What about fat people? Gluttony is a sin. Do I stop fellowshipping with fat christians? A great many preachers would find themselves all alone if that is so.
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want some feedback ........

2004/4/18 3:10Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re: Regarding seperation from the ungodly among us....

i've heard time and time again that gluttony was a sin but is there any scriptures that say that?

2004/4/18 17:50Profile
HakkaMin

Taiwan

Re:

I have a friend who used to say, "Gluttony is not a sin, it's the love of gluttony that's a sin." Of course, this friend was also known to quote Paul as recommending that we "buffet" our bodies daily. :-)

2004/4/18 18:54Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

yea as far as I know "sin is transgession of the Law" so is there any Law given by God against what we call "gluttony"?

2004/4/18 19:14Profile
bigdaveusa

Re:

Gregg, you slay me. Thanks, I needed some comic relief.
Lazarus, gluttony is related to drunkeness in that both are excessive. One of the fruits of the Spirit is self-control, and of course the works of the flesh are manifest. In fact, to malign the Lord the pharisees were fond of referring to Him as a "glutton and a winebibber"(Matt.11:19,Lk.7:34).
Another verse:
Proverbs 23:21
"For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags."
I hope that helps.

2004/4/18 19:26Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

hey awesome

thanks

2004/4/18 19:41Profile
rocklife

usa

Go with Scripture and your conscience. If I could be so bold, I would also say, stick to New Testament on things like that.

The New Testament specifically warns many times to not associate with sexually immoral people who call themselves Christian brothers (and sisters) 1 Cor chapter 5. Fatness is not condemned the same as sexual sins.

Again, go with your conscience and OBEY scripture. "The man who says, "I know Him," but does not do what He commands is a liar and truth is not in him." 1 John 2:4.
The reason I don't associate with adulterous, lying churchgoers who say they are Christians is because the bible says not to do it.

Jesus tells us what to do about sinning brothers (in Christ) in Matthew 18:15-17: "If a brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. But if he will not listen, take one or 2 others along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of 2 or 3 witnesses. If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church, and if he refuses to listen even to the church, treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector."

Here's another good Scripture, "But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them." 2 Tim 3:1-5

Respond in obedience, in love, in gentleness. Many times, rebuke does not seem loving, even though it is. We must love, and love others, but not seek peace with man so much that we dishonor God. Even gentle Jesus used a whip to rebuke the church. John the Baptist called religious leaders "vipers." They did not shrink back for fear of rejection from man. (I am not emphasizing gentleness so much here, because that is not really a problem in the American church. So many of us are "people-pleasers" (me,too) and we need a little more encouragement to be truthful and obedient to God's word, we are gentle and loving to the point that we often fail to do anything that might hurt someone's feelings for a little bit.)

This kind of stuff is hard to obey, but obedience to God is love for God, "We know that we have come to know Him if we obey His commands." 1 John 2:3

Praise God! I pray these Scriptures will be helpful, and I pray our Lord Jesus be exalted!

2004/4/19 1:41Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

If it's hard to talk to someone personally about a situation, I have found writing a note, e-mail, etc. about it to them is an effective form of communication for a difficult thing. As long as the problem is addressed honestly before God.

2004/4/21 20:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
This kind of stuff is hard to obey, but obedience to God is love for God, "We know that we have come to know Him if we obey His commands." 1 John 2:3

This is a hard topic and as [i]oilpainter[/i] stated its hard to obey also. I was just reading some of George Fox's epistles (he was the founder of the quakers movement).

He in his letters written to friends (quakers) really brings out the spirit of the New Testament in action in the area of fellowship and church discipline:

"But the children of this world do mostly mind the external things, and their love is in them, and the other live by faith; the one is [b]sanctified[/b] by the word, the other [b]painted[/b] with the words. The children of God are pure in heart, not looking only at the outside. Teh favour of the world and friendship thereof is enmity to God, man may soon be stained with it. Oh! love the stranger, and be as strangers in the world, and to the world!"
-George Fox

What I wanted to bring out of that passage is that when you fellowship with other Christians they should have there emphasis on Christ and the things above, if they act and speak like the world then you have concern that they are not of Christ and His kingdom. What fellowship does the world have with those of Christ? Belial with Christ? It's a very hard line to draw but the light will make everything evident in due time. But the scripture is very clear that if a brother/sister is committing willful blatant sin you have a right to not fellowship with them to bring shame upon them.

2004/4/23 21:50Profile
openairboy

Not every fat person is a glutton. I would also consider a person's spirit in this discussion. Are they simply content with being a drunk, whore, glutton, etc., or are they broken and struggling? If they are lulled into indifference, then it would be a concern.

2004/4/23 23:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy