Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Need Help with A Verse

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Need Help with A Verse

What do you all make of this verse?

Ex 23:13 "And in all things that I have said unto you be circumspect: and make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth."

Jordan

2007/6/28 19:02Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re: Need Help with A Verse

I forgot to mention that the Bible has names of other gods in it, so it must not mean that we can't talk about them at all.

Maybe it means that we shouldn't study them or have in-depth conversations about them? Christians shouldn't be doing that anyways, but I was just wondering what it means.

Jordan

2007/6/28 19:39Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

The Hebrew word [url=http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H02142&Version=kjv]zakar[/url] seems to imply more than a casual reference in a conversation. The KJV translates the word as remember 172, mention 21, remembrance 10, recorder 9, mindful 6, think 3, bring to remembrance 2, record 2, misc 8

They were not to call to mind the names of other gods in the way that they called to mind the name of Jehovah.

The inference is that they were to keep Jehovah separate in all their thoughts and not to regard him as one among many or even the first among many. This is a command that insists that Jehovah has all the glory. They were to give Jehovah not only 'prime' place in their hearts but the only place.

[color=0000FF]For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. (Isaiah 48:11 KJVS)[/color]

2007/6/29 10:28Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought it was meaning.

2007/6/29 17:00Profile

Re:

Quote:

philologos wrote:
The Hebrew word [url=http://cf.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=H02142&Version=kjv]zakar[/url] seems to imply more than a casual reference in a conversation. The KJV translates the word as remember 172, mention 21, remembrance 10, recorder 9, mindful 6, think 3, bring to remembrance 2, record 2, misc 8

They were not to call to mind the names of other gods in the way that they called to mind the name of Jehovah.

The inference is that they were to keep Jehovah separate in all their thoughts and not to regard him as one among many or even the first among many. This is a command that insists that Jehovah has all the glory. They were to give Jehovah not only 'prime' place in their hearts but the only place.

[color=0000FF]For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. (Isaiah 48:11 KJVS)[/color]

This reminds me of Isaiah 26:13

[i][color=003399]13. O Lord, our God, masters other than You have possessed us. Only concerning You will we mention Your name.[/color][/i]

in Him

Jeannette

2007/6/29 18:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy