SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Tame you Tongue - D.W.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
vasilef

ROMANIA

Tame you Tongue - D.W.

http://www.tscpulpitseries.org/english/1990s/ts940207.html

I read this sermon about 2 years ago and it had a big impact on me. I was very preoccupied about what gossip / slandering is and I learned a lot from this message.

However I had a few questions in my mind after reading it. I would have liked to ask brother David about it but I think it's quite impossible. :)
He might receive tons of letters every day and he has great responsibility, too.

Here is a paragraph which I would like you to think about it:

Quote:
Yet you can damage a person's reputation without saying a word - simply by making negative facial expressions. On one occasion I was asked about a certain individual with whom I'd had to deal concerning a number of problems. When asked about the person, I didn't say a word - I just wrinkled up my nose and shook my head. The person inquiring told me, "Well, you haven't said a word, but you've told me everything I need to know." I'd planted negative thoughts in that person's mind! This also has to do with an untamed tongue.

I wondered what should be the right attitude in a situation like the one described just above?
Should we just say some positive things? Or should we tell that person that we cannot talk about this? Should we take a serious face and trying to keep it straight, in control?
I understand that what brother David did wasn't the right thing but I don't understand... what he should have done?

2007/6/19 2:29Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re: Tame you Tongue - D.W.

I know I have done that before.
I just change the sudject
what is in your heart will come out at
times. So if I deal with my heart
Then you can keep from coming out
But again it is a hard thing.

It starts in our hearts
in his love
charlene

2007/6/20 1:10Profile

Here's the Scripture the Lord has been impressing me on...

Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. Eph 4:29

At first, when I was a cusser, I thought it was about foul language but it goes beyond that... I mean if that's your level, then it's for you! But if cursing is not the problem but gossiping or putting people down is, then it's still for you too!! [That's what I love about the LIVING Word of God. It's reaches into what level you are currently on. But I digress!!]

The quote you used from Wilkerson, would fit nicely into this verse because it sounds like David "communicated" something unedifying but only he knows for sure. And believe you me, I've done the same thing. But let me say, that we cannot judge what David Wilkerson "should have" done in that situation. I would not dare to judge someone walking closer to the Lord than I am. THAT has got to be "corrupt communication" at it's worse!

I don't know if there is a "pat" answer for all situations like what happened to David. IMHO, we just have to follow on to know the Lord because when we walk in the Spirit we won't fulfill the lusts of the flesh.

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. Gal 5:16

2007/6/20 6:37
Koheleth

NC

I am going beyond what is actually written in the paragraph you cited, but if I may examine it spiritually a bit, it seems that D. W. must have had the witness of the Holy Spirit that he communicated wrongly or uncharitably about this brother. Otherwise, his conscience would not have been troubled about it. He bore a witness he should not have (he is saying, not me) and that is a wrong witness.

Therefore, the conclusion is for all of us to be so close to God, we never say or communicate something about another person that God does not want us to. We will only speak about other people like Jesus would have. We are to live just like him.

2007/6/20 10:48Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

NAS James 1:26 ¶ [b]If anyone thinks himself to be religious[/b], and yet does not (a)bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart,[b] this man's religion is worthless.[/b]

this is a fearful verse.......

2007/6/20 12:44Profile
vasilef

ROMANIA

Re:

Quote:
The quote you used from Wilkerson, would fit nicely into this verse because it sounds like David "communicated" something unedifying but only he knows for sure. And believe you me, I've done the same thing. But let me say, that we cannot judge what David Wilkerson "should have" done in that situation. I would not dare to judge someone walking closer to the Lord than I am. THAT has got to be "corrupt communication" at it's worse!

Of course, it's not my intention to judge David Wilkerson but to learn the right attitude through his example.
I've never thought before reading his message that I could "gossip" without words...

2007/6/20 13:27Profile

Re:

I'm sorry, I came across too strong. I do see your point now...

Quote:
I've never thought before reading his message that I could "gossip" without words...

I heard another preacher (J. Oswald Sanders, I think) point out that we can gossip or tell more than we should with a simple "yes" or "no" answer as well.

It gets very deep, doesn't it? As my beloved Granny used to say, "Lord, help us all."
:-D

God bless you, Vasilef

2007/6/20 18:08

Re:

Quote:

hmmhmm wrote:
NAS James 1:26 ¶ [b]If anyone thinks himself to be religious[/b], and yet does not (a)bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart,[b] this man's religion is worthless.[/b]

this is a fearful verse.......

I agree. Anything to do with speaking unwisely in the Bible is scary (I was looking them up).

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. Mt 7:14

2007/6/20 18:13
PassingThru

The use of the tongue is the area where I probably feel convicted most frequently. Jesus said we would be judged for each idle (unfruitful?) word we utter - a verse I think isn't given enough importance today.

On speaking negative information about others, I think we need to balance it by deciding whether it's fruitful or not. It may be necessary if you are warning someone about a real threat to their life such as a heresy, or a snare they may fall in.

The Apostle Paul did this on at least one occasion, and Jesus himself warned of the yeast of the Pharisees, with explicit details: "They make long prayers out of pretense, take widows' houses...etc"

We should be careful not to fall into gossip, but we should also be careful we are not providing a cover for deceivers out of an exaggerated fear of being negative or critical.

The first teaching deceivers instill is "Don't be critical under any circumstances." It's the wolf's sheepskin.

(I agree with the main point of this thread - I just wanted to add this perspective)

PassingThru

2007/6/20 18:53Profile

Re:

Quote:

PassingThru wrote:
The use of the tongue is the area where I probably feel convicted most frequently. Jesus said we would be judged for each idle (unfruitful?) word we utter - a verse I think isn't given enough importance today.

I agree. I have been "actively" working on taming my tongue (in every area - cussing, gossip, etc) for about a year now but can I say I am any further than I was a year ago? I hope so but I don't know. Some days I think so and then other days I know it's NOT so. But I do know I'm closer to the Lord (not by anything I've done) but because it was He who led me to seek Him over the condition of my mouth (heart, actually).

Quote:
On speaking negative information about others, I think we need to balance it by deciding whether it's fruitful or not. It may be necessary if you are warning someone about a real threat to their life such as a heresy, or a snare they may fall in.

The Apostle Paul did this on at least one occasion, and Jesus himself warned of the yeast of the Pharisees, with explicit details: "They make long prayers out of pretense, take widows' houses...etc"

We should be careful not to fall into gossip, but we should also be careful we are not providing a cover for deceivers out of an exaggerated fear of being negative or critical.

The first teaching deceivers instill is "Don't be critical under any circumstances." It's the wolf's sheepskin.

(I agree with the main point of this thread - I just wanted to add this perspective)

PassingThru

This isn't my thread but if I may say so you provided a perspective I hadn't thought about. It reminds me of an old situation, last year I left a church after going there for four years over a certain leader. And every person that I have talked to since that has left ... there is one common thread and that is THAT leader.

But my point is that it does no good to talk to each other (gossip), we've already left and each one has left quietly because no one wants to be the trouble maker and point out the sin in this leader's life. So he's still there and most of us are seeking to find other churches. Anyway, I'm sorry I was thinking out loud how what you said applies to that situation.... (Thank you)

Quote:

2007/6/21 17:48

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy