SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : speaking in tongues

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
crossbearer

ONEONTA, ALABAMA

Re: speaking in tongues

I am not an authority on the Bible and have really prayed a lot about the gift of tongues. I wanted more understanding on the subject. I was raised to believe in it, but no one i knew ever practiced it. When i continued to seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit, suddenly one day i found myself speaking in other tongues and i was not seeking this gift. No one was there to push me into it. It just started happening. i questioned it and as i searched the scriptures. one thing really caught my attention. I read in Acts about the day of Pentecost and what took place and they spoke in other languages that others can hear in their native tongue then as i read on i discovered that Peter was led to Cornelius's house and after ministering the Word of God they were filled with the Holy Spirit and was evidenced by some of them speaking in tongues. I am assuming everyone in the home of Cornelius was of the same language. (family and friends) It was not a popular thing for Cornelius to invite Peter into his home. What was the need of tongues here among people of possibly the same language? This satisfied my questions and i no longer question the times i do pray in tongues. I trust the Lord in what ever i say and even ask Him for understanding and i have learned so much from this. I hope this may have been some help on this subject. God Bless You Dear Brother!

2007/6/11 18:23Profile

Re:

Quote:
Corey said: Where's your evidence that Jesus, Peter, or Paul spoke in unintelligble gibberish? Scripture please.

Corey, genuine tongues is NOT "unintelligable gibberish"!!!! Read my last post!

So [i]of course[/i] there's no evidence that they spoke gibberish - it wasn't gibberish but the real thing!

Although, I should think Jesus had no need of even the genuine gift as such, as His communion with the Father was so perfect and complete, and you are right there, there is no record that He ever did!

But Peter and Paul certainly did. And the fact that on the Day of Pentecost the languages happened to be known is beside the point. there's no scriptural evidence that those who exercised this gift always spoke in languages recognised by those present - rather the opposite.

Otherwise why should Paul teach so much in 1Corinthians about the right use of speaking in an [i][u]unknown[/u][/i] tongue? If the tongue happened to be in an unknown language he insisted in order in its use - especially interpretation if it was needed. for example, if there were unbelievers present, or those like Bro. Cool who were new to these things, or if it happened to be prophecy - a word the church needed to hear.

Anyway, I'm not going to argue any more, you are obviously determined to deny the genuine gift, and force Scripture to justify it.

Love you anyway!

In Him

Jeannette

2007/6/11 18:28
Robinhood

Re: This thread

Well I was considering posting in this thread but its clear that both sides are only wanting to throw barbs at each other and not really study God's Word together in brotherly love. It would be really good if we could really examine scripture openly and honestly, saying things like "I believe this is what this verse means," instead of being so defensive and
dogmatic about our own points of view.

So for now I'll just shoot my arrow into another thread...or board.

2007/6/11 19:59Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Well I was considering posting in this thread but its clear that both sides are only wanting to throw barbs at each other and not really study God's Word together in brotherly love. It would be really good if we could really examine scripture openly and honestly, saying things like "I believe this is what this verse means," instead of being so defensive and dogmatic about our own points of view.

Robinhood, welcome to the SI forums. Please, don't let the lack of brotherly love hinder you from contributing to the discussions. Open and honest examination of scripture is always welcome around here.

We have discussed this particular topic many times here in the past and you may wish to take advantage of the advanced search feature to review those discussions but some fresh thoughts on scripture are welcomed by most here.

In Christ,

Ron

2007/6/11 20:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
CoolCap said:where people get the idea that speaking in tongues is all this "lalalala, yayayaya,babababa"

Do you believe that a person can speak in a KNOWN tongue as the holy Spirit gives the utterance today? They never learned that language, never studied it, never heard of it.

This person would stand up in your congregation and speak in a KNOWN tongue, no one can understand him save the person who does. However, YOU don't know if anyone does, wouldn't you feel wierd?

Think about it, picture yourself sitting next to this guy who has this gift. Right in the middle of the service, he stands up and gives a message in a KNOWN tongue, wouldn't you feel embarressed??

Consider this too, while he is speaking in a KNOWN tongue, you have no idea what dialect he is speaking, therefore to you it is gibberish, therefore in your mind you judge this man as a madman.

2007/6/11 20:36
dohzman

Scripture for Corey

Quote:
Where's your evidence that Jesus, Peter, or Paul spoke in unintelligble gibberish? Scripture please.

1Co 14:18 I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: That was Paul.

tongues,1100 1Co 14:18 I thank2168 my3450 God,2316 I speak2980 with tongues1100 more3123 than ye5216 all:3956
Quote:
G1100
γλῶσσα
glōssa
Thayer Definition:
1) the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech
2) a tongue
1a) the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations
Part of Speech: noun feminine
A Related Word by Thayer’s/Strong’s Number: of uncertain affinity

Act 2:4 And2532 they were all537 filled4130 with the Holy40 Ghost,4151 and2532 began756 to speak2980 with other2087 tongues,1100 as2531 the3588 Spirit4151 gave1325 them846 utterance.669
There's Peter

There is none for Jesus, however one could make an arguement out of the prophets if one wanted to go through the trouble, I don't have the time to do so.

Quote:
Paul was speaking to the Corinthians specifically, not to Christians generally, about tongues

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
It was widely known in the churches that Paul's letters were circulated amoung the churches all over and didn't just stay in one church district. I believe that God knowing the end from the begining would know the course of the letters in the NT and I have to believe that He took great care to preserve that which He chose for us to have passed down to us in this day, including the Letters to Corinth.
Some things, no.... many things of God need to be taken or accepted by faith, but and if one has not faith in certain areas of doctrine they they need to be careful not to become a stumbling block to others while they argue a position that's built on a personal hang up or prejudice, which may or may not be from thier learned past. I personally don't have all knowledge, I don't have many things but I do strive to have love toward all and I threads like this we all need to be all the more careful to be respectful toward one anothers consciences, reguardless of which side of the fence you're on.

Quote:
He wasn't encouraging people everywhere to speak unintelligble gibberish, he patiently compomised some of their "bad habits", like glossolalia,

I would hope you might consider re-thinking this position, in light of the above scripture, that would make Paul less than inspired if your statement was to stand true.

2007/6/11 21:34Profile

Re: Scripture for Corey

Dohzman,

"...every man heard them speak in his own language." (ACTS 2:6)

How is this the same glossolalia spoken of in Corinthians?

2007/6/12 3:34

Re: "glossa"

G1100
γλῶσσα
glōssa
gloce'-sah
Of uncertain affinity; the tongue; by implication a language (specifically one naturally unacquired): - tongue.

Act 2:4 And2532 they were all537 filled4130 with the Holy40 Ghost,4151 and2532 began756 to speak2980 with other2087 [b]tongues,1100[/b] as2531 the3588 Spirit4151 gave1325 them846 utterance.669

Corey, Wikipedia or a Greek Lexicon is the choice.

Brother roman on page 1 here explained 'why' "...every man heard them speak in his own language." in a very clear way.

They spake with the tongues of angels, as was eluded to earlier.

That is the mystery about it. They all spake whatever words they were speaking yet every one there heard their own language. Even if just one of them had spoken in tongues, all of these foreigners would still have heard his words/tongue in his own language.
NOT because they were speaking that many different KNOWN languages, but they were "hearing" their own.

I saw this happen in the transverse ... as also was a question earlier ... "which 'type' angel tongue ?"

We invited a strange woman to a lunch we were having after Church at a very Godly couple's home.
There were a few Christian families present, including teens & children.
We were all praying over our meal, when suddenly this woman began to speak in "a tongue".
All of us adults heard her plainly cursing in English, in between a few undiscernible words, but all that the children and teens heard were her "tongues". We stopped the prayer straight way. God shut the ears of the young, but at least 7 adults heard the exact same curse words in English. The Lord allowed this so that we would learn something and learn that this woman needed deliverance from something and shouldn't be taken at face value as a Christian that we thought she was.

So yes, there are 'counterfeits' of every spiritual gift out there.

Why would the devil 'counterfeit' anything ?
He wouldn't bother to counterfeit a $3.00 bill, would he ?

It is given as a prayer & praise language and not just as a gift to use at Church.

Paul also said, that he "prayed in the Spirit and with understanding", so Christians can ask the Lord for the interpretation themselves when praying or praising when alone.

I'd tread lightly with calling something "of the devil" that very many true Christians have experienced. You've set yourself up as 'Judge' over millions of Godly Christians.

We call it our prayer language.
Thanking God for that expression of Rom 8:26,27.

2007/6/12 4:41

Re: speaking in tongues

crossbearer said

Quote:
I am not an authority on the Bible and have really prayed a lot about the gift of tongues. I wanted more understanding on the subject. I was raised to believe in it, but no one i knew ever practiced it. When i continued to seek to be filled with the Holy Spirit, suddenly one day i found myself speaking in other tongues and i was not seeking this gift. No one was there to push me into it. It just started happening. i questioned it and as i searched the scriptures. one thing really caught my attention. I read in Acts about the day of Pentecost and what took place and they spoke in other languages that others can hear in their native tongue then as i read on i discovered that Peter was led to Cornelius's house and after ministering the Word of God they were filled with the Holy Spirit and was evidenced by some of them speaking in tongues. I am assuming everyone in the home of Cornelius was of the same language. (family and friends) It was not a popular thing for Cornelius to invite Peter into his home. What was the need of tongues here among people of possibly the same language? This satisfied my questions and i no longer question the times i do pray in tongues. I trust the Lord in what ever i say and even ask Him for understanding and i have learned so much from this. I hope this may have been some help on this subject.

Thank you for this testimony.

I especially liked your point about the likelihood everyone in Cornelius' household spoke the same language (although this may not have been true by their mother tongues, I guess there would have been [i]one[/i] common language amongst them, before the Holy Spirit gave them tongues). 8-)

2007/6/12 5:24
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Beside all this, the glossolalia (unintelligable gibberish) of which Paul speaks has nothing in common with the tongues spoken of in Acts where the speakers are understood in various foreign languages.

I see we are back to the language of 'unintelligable gibberish'. There is no indication that the languages referred to in Corinthians are either 'unintelligible' or 'gibberish'. They were not unintelligible to God and to attribute 'speaking in the Spirit' as gibberish is getting too close to attributing the work of God to demons and we know the repercussions of that.

There is absolutely no 'reason' at all to surmise that the priestesses of the Delphic oracle had begun to attend the meetings in Corinth. It is sheer and wild speculation.

2007/6/12 9:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy