SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Bush to meet Pope

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread

Bush to meet Pope

I caught this on our early morning news today, but I note the exact day is not in this report.

Is this common knowledge in the US?

What do y'all make of it?

[url=http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1630845,00.html]http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1630845,00.html[/url]

2007/6/8 15:43

Re: Bush to meet Pope

They met today for about 30 minutes.

The meeting was described as 'cordial'.

2007/6/9 12:25
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Interesting...

I would assume that it was just political, but it sure seems like the Catholic "Church" is reaching far out beyond themselves and trying to get roots in everyplace they can. :-(

Jordan

2007/6/9 18:56Profile

Re: Bush to meet Pope

Hi Jordan,

I'm amazed that this meeting has not raised more comment on this forum.

Perhaps you can tell me if there is a history of Presidents of the US meeting whoever is the Pope of the day?

I can't remember hearing of it.

One comment that the news presenter made, was that this may have been preparatory for a visit of the Pope to the US.

Now, have any of you over there heard [i]that[/i] is in the planning?

2007/6/10 12:48
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Hi Dorcas,

When I googled it, this is all I came up with:

Lyndon Johnson was the first sitting president to have an audience with a pope. He met with Pope Paul VI in the Vatican in 1967." ...

Jordan

2007/6/10 19:57Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

Dorcas,

It appears that both Bushes, Clinton, Ford, and Carter also met with a pope.

Jordan

2007/6/10 20:28Profile

Re:

I think everyone's met with a Pope. I mean, most leaders.

It also seems it happens just before any G-8 meeting, while they're already over there. I read the G-8 headline on the same page as the link you gave, and Polland was mentioned and I knew Mr. Bush went to Poland first, before seeing the Pope. We don't get the type News y'all get over there. But we do have the BBC on NPR. I listen to NPR for most news, because they speak more about what is going on 'globally' and with fewer "commentaries".
It seems, Conservative stations must tell us what was just said or done, because we need some sort of an interpreter of the News. :-( And that coming from a conservative - ha.

Last time they went to Germany before going to see the Pope and then on to the G-8 or something like it. I forget all the past dates & details, but it was the case with this meeting also. Bilderburg {sp?} meetings are sometimes preceded by visits to the Pope or certain other nations by the President or a governmental representative.

Before Mr. Bush left, he met with 18 of our religious leaders. Dr. Dobson being just one of them. Then Dr. Dobson came on his show that Monday and told his audience that he couldn't divulge what they all had spoken about, but he Surprisingly gave a whole week afterwards to prepare his listeners for a war with Iran, Russia, China with Israel and US.
Imagine a bunch of 18 religious leaders meeting for a session that they can't tell us about and then let us know they can't tell us what was exchanged between them and the President --- what is that implying from them ?

I think you know my thoughts about Religion joined/Merged in this way with politics ... Dobson and Colson and other Protestant heads, have visited the Pope too and kissed his ring.

When the Pope was in Mexico last month, he went because "the evangelical" Protestants were taking too many folks and the RCC was wanting them back or period.
They've stepped up their "evangelism to 'Christ'" much.
I was raised Catholic - so in all my years I've watched the RCC go from Mass in Latin to sounding identical in methodology and terminology as Protestants ... with just a few added features.
They preach salvation through Christ by grace & faith but the clinchers are still there, of Mary and the Pope mostly.

All of this reminds me of a large number of drops of oil in a bucket of water.
Next morning you wake-up and it's just 'one' big blob of oil.

Che Sera~Sera.
It may not be spelt right ? but isn't that basically what the Bible says ? ;-)

2007/6/10 20:34
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi dorcas...

Quote:
Perhaps you can tell me if there is a history of Presidents of the US meeting whoever is the Pope of the day?

I can't remember hearing of it.

All of the modern US presidents have met with the pope. As an influential political and religious leader in Europe, each of the Roman Catholic popes have attempted to exert influence on many world leaders. Of course, the bulk of their influence is for political and social causes. Interestingly, the popes have lost quite a bit of their influence in Europe and the United States. Yet they still hold influence over the local churches, which can thus influence the local and national communities respectively.

I found it interesting that President Bush [url=http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_2127232,00.html]did not refer to the pope as "his Holiness"[/url] (as is customary for foreign dignitaries). Whether this was a verbal gaffe or a calculated decision is unknown. I'm actually glad that he didn't stoop to such a colloquial religious tradition.

:-)

2007/6/10 21:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Chris wrote:

Quote:
I found it interesting that President Bush did not refer to the pope as "his Holiness" (as is customary for foreign dignitaries). Whether this was a verbal gaffe or a calculated decision is unknown. I'm actually glad that he didn't stoop to such a colloquial religious tradition.

I checked out this site....and it gave me a chuckle. I loved it! Pres. Bush comes across to me as one who is not always given to proper protocol. People who have met him say he is very personable and likeable and I am sure this act will leave some Europeans bent out of shape! Still smiling...;-)

ginnyrose

2007/6/12 0:08Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

I think I am not sure what I feel about this?
much more prayer needed.
In His LOve
charlene

2007/6/12 2:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy