SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Friend of Sinners?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Friend of Sinners?

Mat 11:19 says

Quote:
The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Look at him! A glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is justified by her deeds."

We talk a lot about fleeing sin and avoiding it at all cost. I wonder how we can learn from Jesus to be a friend of sinners. It is my great desire to be able to mix with sinners without defiling myself but leading them to the Lord. Jesus did not condemn them but they got convicted when his light and truth came over them. If I am really honest, as of now I dispise sinners and the sins they commit, which does not help them at all. Sinners cannot but sin and are trapped in sin.

What does it take to become a friend of sinners?

narrowpath of London

2007/6/2 17:05Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re: Friend of Sinners?

For me it took getting rid of pride and asking Jesus for His love for the lost. There is a point in which you have to back off because you may be exposed to sin, but then we can't back off to quickly because Jesus commands us to go.

Not saying this is your problem, just sharing what it took for me. Ask God for that burden for the lost and don't give up until you get it.

Jordan

2007/6/2 18:46Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: Friend of Sinners?

Reply to narrowpath of London

Matthew 18
Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
24. And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
25. But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
26. The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
27. Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
28. But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
29. And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
30. And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
31. So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
32. Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
33. Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
34. And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
35. So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

2007/6/2 18:56Profile
heartablaze

Re: Matthew 18

Those are some strong words, and ones that are not preached enough! I have read it before, but have also forgotten it.
This scripture is also related somewhat:
1 Peter 3
13 And who is he that will harm you, if ye be followers of that which is good?

14But and if ye suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled;

15But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:

16Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ.

17For it is better, if the will of God be so, that ye suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

18For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit

2007/6/2 20:19Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
Mat 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Now I hope no one stones me for this...

Where does that say Jesus was a friend of sinners? If we believe this verse teaches he was a friend of sinners should we also believe he was a glutton and a winebibber? Just trying to be honest to the text...

Also, what do you mean by "friend?"

Jam 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Hbr 7:26 For such an high priest became us, [who is] holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;

EDIT: I hope no one takes this from a "holier than thou" attitude. I'm just putting some thoughts out there.

2007/6/4 10:18Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

Reply to PreachParsly

On the contrary, I see the truth in your reply.
Thank you.

Eddie

2007/6/4 12:13Profile

Re:

Quote:
Where does that say Jesus was a friend of sinners? If we believe this verse teaches he was a friend of sinners should we also believe he was a glutton and a winebibber? Just trying to be honest to the text...

He's the Friend of the [b]repentant sinner[/b].

"...I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance..." (MATT 9:13)

"He was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors." (ISAIAH 53:12)

"He that covereth a transgression seeketh love; but he that repeateth a matter separateth [very] friends." (PRO 7:19)

"And [one] shall say unto him, What [are] these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, [Those] with which I was wounded [in] the house of my friends." (ZACH 13:6)

"And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations." (LUKE 16:9)

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you." (JOHN 15:13)

If we read the entire passage, and keep it in context, it shouldn't be hard to understand the contrast Jesus makes between John and Himself. John is a repentent sinner preaching to repentent sinners, mourning in the wilderness, wearing uncomfortable camel hair (sackcloth), preaching repentence, awaiting the Deliverer's advent. He eats wild foods, drinks water, and won't enjoy the delicacies of the world.

Jesus wears a more noble (and expensive) garment "without seam". He is the Comforter. He enjoys good foods and good wines with thanksgiving. Where John brought a spirit of sorrow, Jesus was the Spirit of rejoicing - God walked among men, what better reason to rejoice!

Jesus isn't denying He enjoyed the foods, wines, or honours placed before Him - He's pointing His glorious spotlight on those who "had the spirit of (their) father, the devil", the "arch-accuser", who would turn his righteous enjoyment (via thanksgiving) of the "good things of this life" into "gluttony and (winebibbing)" - just like they malign John's righteous mourning into devil possession.

"And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like? They are like unto children sitting in the marketplace, and calling one to another, and saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned to you, and ye have not wept. For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil. The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners! But wisdom is justified of all her children." (LUKE 7:33-35)

2007/6/4 17:39
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: friend of sinners?

Let me reply with my own testimony. In 1984 I sat in a red light district bar in Manila drinking beer, when 4 young missionaries approached me. They engaged me in conversation and each of them gave me their testimony how God changed and saved them.

They did not mention my sins, but their sins. They appeared to be very genuine, but I was sceptical. One of them, who used to be a former homosexual asked for permission to pray for me. He knelt down right on the pavement and pleaded for my soul. My pride cracked on the inside, but I showed now outside motion. The next day I went to church with them and during the service I had an open vision of God's Glory in a ball of consuming fire and inside the fire was his wonderful sweet love. His love was irresitable, but the fire would have burned me to death. It was a mistery that baffled me. Never in my life had I seen such a thing, not even during my engagement wtih transcendental meditation. Several people got saved in the service, but not me yet. After I went back to my hotel I asked God to show up again, without the fearsome fire. He did show up as a loving father and friend this time and I surrendered my life to him. At that moment I felt unspeakable joy and relief. For several days I was engulfed with God glory. In fact everything that surrounded me seem to emmanated God's glory. This lasted for several days until it faded.

Back home in Germany I spent days confessing my sins and a group of Christians casted 7 demons out of me. It took us several evening sessions.
I went back to people and apologized for my behaviour and paid back debts.

If it weren't for friends of sinners, I would not be blogging here on Sermonindex, but on filth channels.

These guys compassion was greater than their digust for my sins. This is why I want to learn to become a friend of sinners.

Philip

2007/6/4 20:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy