SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A question for the Brothers and Sisters

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
True. But this is also where I find fault. If we are truly saved, aren't we given a new nature? Made a new creation in Christ?

This is why not everyone believes that Christians have a "dual nature." Some believe that the old man really is dead and that means he isn't still alive in side of you somewhere.

You don't have to have a "sin nature" to be tempted or to sin.

2007/6/4 12:57Profile

Re: A question for the Brothers and Sisters

BradW said

Quote:
The problem is that I first need to completely die to myself and live a life that is wholly for Christ and nothing for me. That is the hardest part, putting to death myself so that it is honestly not I who live, but Christ in me.

Hi Brad,

I know exactly what you're trying to say here - or rather, what you are saying - and would like to suggest some rephrasing. I suspect how you think of things is how you've heard them preached, or read about them in a book. I would change what you said for one main reason - and that would be to take the pressure off yourself - by redefining what you believe you must [i]do[/i] - and deliberately put all the 'pressure' on Christ, since He has already long ago borne your sin, destroyed the devil, and abolished death (that is, 'death' in the eternal sense, for believers).

'The problem is that first, I would need to determine I am willing to give up [u]all[/u] sin (in principle) to demonstrate that my heart's attitude is right toward God. Having made this decision (to be dead to sin through the death of Jesus Christ), by faith I simply [i]receive[/i] His death, in which my 'old man' was crucified (in reality), as a free gift to me.

The hardest part, is enforcing myself to remain grafted into this death day after day after day after day; because not only do I have to live out my most sincere decision to trust Christ for salvation unto eternal life, but I must trust His (resurrection) life to enable me to overcome - my weaknesses, my disadvantages, the old habits my flesh still remembers, my 'own' mind on matters, my thought processes, my tendency to discouragement in failure (etc) - by 'taking up' my 'cross' to 'follow Him', and [u]with the help of the Holy Spirit[/u] to starve out of existence or wrestle to the ground, everything that exalts itself against my knowing Him in greater and greater measure.

During this process He increases, while I decrease; yet (paradoxically) my soul is restored as I walk in the light with Him. I am cleansed from all unrighteousness. I am healed.

I am becoming an overcomer in my own right (through Christ).'

2007/6/5 22:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy