SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Rewards in Heaven

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Rewards in Heaven

Hey guys,

my cousin asked me this question a couple of days ago, and I didn't really know how to answer it! To be honest, I'd never even thought of it before!

So the question is - why will we get rewards in heaven? Because if we will be perfect, then why would we care who has a bigger crown than we do? It's heaven! We won't get jealous, will we?

Any help?
Thanks!

2007/5/31 15:08
heartablaze

Re: Rewards in Heaven

If we are completely perfect, then perhaps we will not have jealousy of that type in our hearts?
What will the crowns look like, and what will they really be?
I think the crowns are the rewards of our actions because we otherwise would get none; God is the one who chose us. I'm pretty unsure about it, but it is not really consequential now, I am guessing.
Perhaps some others will post some insight.

2007/6/2 12:42Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

The rewards of Heaven are not like the rewards of Earth. If the rewards of Heaven were merely palaces and gold and riches and crowns and wealth and [i]things[/i]...then Heaven would be a very shallow place indeed.

Before you ask what the purpose of rewards in Heaven are, you must first ask what the rewards of Heaven are. I have no doubt this will answer the previous question as well.

Also, I won't tell what I believe the rewards of heaven to be. Ask God to show you, then read the Bible to see what He says :-)

2007/6/2 12:52Profile

Re:

Good answer Nile .... but can I give my opinion ... I believe with all my heart The Reward is HIM.
I believe the crowns are just symbolism for spiritual things.

I can only pray, that as John sat with his head on Jesus' bosom, because he was "the disciple who Jesus loved" (actually because John LOVED most) - that's the reward.
The closer we are to Him now or desire to be - through our heart's intent and leaning on His voice and following in total constant dependence (Jn. 10).... then the closer we'll be to Him when we're with Him.

I'm not "stating" what the rewards are ... just what I like to think that they are.

P.S. Was it you brother that asked about a Church in Raleigh ? I live too far west to answer that one ... but I'll be praying you find a great one. Amen.

Love.
annie

2007/6/2 14:19

Mmmm, interesting thought!

The word for crown in the sense of reward is from the Greek "stephanos" - the wreath of honour given to a victor in the Games. Stephen, the martyr, was well named!

Some relevant scriptures are: 1Corinthians 3:10-15, 2Timothy 4:8 and the references in Revelation on "Him who overcometh" in chapters 2-3 and chapter 21:7

1Corinthians 3:[i][color=000066]10 According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and another man is building upon it. Let each man take care how he builds upon it. 11 For no other foundation can any one lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any one builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— 13 each man’s work will become manifest; for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each one has done. 14 If the work which any man has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward. 15 If any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.[/color][/i]

It seems it is posssible to lose this reward, even though we don't lose our salvation.

2Timothy 4:8
[i][color=000066]7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.[/color][/i]

Revelation 2:7
[i][color=000066]To him who conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God[/color][/i]
Revelation 2:11[i][color=000066]11 He who conquers shall not be hurt by the second death.’ [/color][/i]
Revelation 2:17
[i][color=000066]17 To him who conquers I will give some of the hidden manna, and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone which no one knows except him who receives it.’[/color][/i]
Revelation 2:26
[color=000099]He who conquers and who keeps my works until the end, I will give him power over the nations, 27 and he shall rule them with a rod of iron, as when earthen pots are broken in pieces, even as I myself have received power from my Father; 28 and I will give him the morning star. [/color]
Revelation 3:5
[i][color=000066]5 He who conquers shall be clad thus in white garments, and I will not blot his name out of the book of life; I will confess his name before my Father and before his angels[/color][/i]
Revelation 3:12
[i][color=000066]12 He who conquers, I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God; never shall he go out of it, and I will write on him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem which comes down from my God out of heaven, and my own new name.[/color][/i]
Revelation 3:21
[i][color=000099]21 He who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I myself conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne.[/color][/i]
Revelation 21:6-7
[i][color=000066] 6 And he said to me, “It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the fountain of the water of life without payment. 7 He who conquers shall have this heritage, and I will be his God and he shall be my son.[/color][/i]

These are some of the rewards to the victors in Christ

In Him

Jeannette

2007/6/2 15:04
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I believe the scriptures in Matthew can be taken literally:

Quote:
Matthew 18:4
Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

There must be a distinction between those who resembled Christ the most. The humble and the children and those who receive a humble child will be greatest. They will have prominence over those who did great works in the Lord's name but failed to humble themselves.
Martyrs will have crowns as well.

Quote:
Mat 5: 11"Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

I believe the reward in heaven is in closeness and authority given. Everyone in heaven will recocknize and agree with the differnt rewards given in proportion to our love expressed to Him on earth.

Great rewards will also be given for those who help others to draw nearer to God.

Quote:
Matthew 5:19 Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

By free grace we are saved, but you have to pay the price of loosing your life to reap rewards.

Quote:
Matthew 10:41 The one who receives a prophet because he is a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and the one who receives a righteous person because he is a righteous person will receive a righteous person's reward.

Real Prophets are people who are rarely receive for what they are. The Lord gives a great incentive for receiving his prophets.

Philip from London

2007/6/2 16:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy