SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Satan's role in the crucifixion

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
student

Satan's role in the crucifixion

Please forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but Satan's involvement in the crucifixion of Jesus perplexes me. Abstractly, wouldn't Satan at all costs want to avoid fostering an event that seals his eternal defeat?

John 11:49-53 Caiaphas, clearly an ungodly man (Matthew 26, John 18, John 8:40-47), correctly prophesied that a man must die for the sins of the nation and the sons of God scattered abroad. This provided the council of Pharisee's with a "spiritual motive" for pursuing Jesus' murder.

The prophets foretold in increasing detail leading of to the manifest earthly life of Christ the nature of His violent death and crucifixion.

John 12:31 Jesus verbally states that the judgment of the world is at hand and the prince of the world (Satan) would be cast out.

Prior to the crucifixion Satan tried on several occasions to prevent Jesus' birth or prematurely terminate His life (examples: Herod's infant genocide, Jesus' wilderness temptation). This seems like a reasonable action for Satan to take in order to sabotage the sinless sacrifice as foretold by the prophets.

1 Corinthians 2:7-8 is interesting to consider:
"But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory."

Was Satan unable to comprehend the unfolding of the plan of redemption and the defeat of his kingdom? Was Satan aware of this plan, but unable to control the wicked works of his kingdom of anarchy? It seems Satan's hand was heavily involved in his own demise.

I'm inclined to believe that he cannot receive truth even when plainly spelled out in Scripture and at the mouth of the sons of God because the truth is not in him.

student

2007/5/31 9:21Profile

Re: Satan's role in the crucifixion

Here is some other verses to consider:

Quote:
John 12:31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

Quote:
John 16:11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

Quote:
Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

I am adding these verses as apart of the study not as a rebuttal. ;-)

2007/5/31 9:32
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Satan's role in the crucifixion

I don't know if this is relevant to the study, but take a look at this scripture.

Luke 22v3, 'Then satan entered Judas, surmnamed Iscariot, who was numbered with the twelve'.

Also, this is an interesting scripture.

1 Cor 2v7-8, 'But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for glory,
vs8, which none of the rulers of this age knew, for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

I don't know if this refers to the earthly rulers, or to the 'rulers of the darkness of this age', Eph 6v12.

Whether or not satan knew of his demise, or is so bent on evil and destruction that he would ignore what God has prophesied is not clear to me either.

So we both need help!

But it is an intresting study and I do hope more people will particpate in the study.

God bless.

2007/5/31 10:21Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy