SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Should we agree to disagree? A question of website content.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Should we agree to disagree? A question of website content.

Should we agree to disagree? A question of website content.

Would you put the teachings of a man you don’t fully agree with on your website?

Let me ask it another way. Should one disagreement on an issue keep all of his teachings off the site? I’m not talking about blatant heresy.

As I look over at my bookshelf I see many authors that disagree on several subjects. Should we permanently remove volumes that contain issues of disagreement?

For example: I have been really blessed by some of Mr. X’s teachings, but he sometimes gets into such hardcore, dare I say hyper-Calvinistic, teachings that I personally could not endorse all of his sermons.

Should the teachings of Mr. X be completely avoided? Do a hundred agreeable teachings over come one or two questionable ones?

Should to it be up to the webmaster to sift through?

Or is it in the hands of the reader and his personal discernment?

Does a disclaimer satisfy all requirements of responsibility for presenting information to others?

**I am not speaking in anyway about the SermonIndex ministry**

2007/5/29 14:47Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re: Should we agree to disagree? A question of website content.

It is a very very good question. You already said nothing with blatant heresy, and that of course I could not defend.
I believe that it is a matter of personal preference. For me, even though a liberal theologian or preacher might be right about a lot of things I would never try to glean from his teachings. I mean, with such a cool place like SI to get stuff from, why should I?
On the other hand, when it comes to doctrines that don't determine our eternal destination, it is good to be exposed to teachings that differ from ours. Like if they interpret revelation different than you or like you mentioned, differ in their belief of freewill/ predestination. Hyper-calvinism would be stretching it though for me...
If the area of disagreement is so small that you don't even encounter it in much of the person's material, I would say there is no reason to avoid their teachings.
If I was a webmaster though, I would really regulate what writings I endorsed. If they discern other writings that I disagree with suitable, then they can go to other sites to view them. I think disclaimers are vital, but not for the same reason the world uses them. They are good gentle reminders that people should test the spirits.

2007/5/29 15:02Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

The hardest part of reading men who differ widely in Theology is that one never really comes to truth.
For example, if I read one man who says perfection is not only attainable but necessary to be a Christian, but then read another who say we will bear the body of death our whole journey here, it will lead to confusion.
This is something I have seen happen in my own walk and it led me to complete and utter despair because I was trying to live the Christian life according to what other mens' standards were. If so and so prayed for four hours a day, then I will too!! Oh there was so much flesh involved, but I was ohh so spiritual.(I thought)
Thankfully God has dealt with me, and continues to deal with me on this, and I have seen my library become less of an idol, and more of brethren to encourage and instruct.

2007/5/29 15:25Profile

Re:

Depends on what it is I disagree with him on. Tithing? I dont think tithing is necessarily something to sperate over. Thats one example of something we can agree to disagree over.

Infant baptism? No way. If someone teaches that infant baptism is necessarily, then no... because he does not understand the basics about salvation.

There is another thread about where to draw the line... I'm not sure where the line is, but I think it's a good rule of thumb to not look over cliffs too often. It's good to stay away from the cliff when possible.

Krispy

2007/5/29 15:45
tjservant

Indiana USA

If the disagreement is not on a salvation based issue…does their good teaching out weigh their bad?

2007/5/29 16:06Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

I think this is something to take one teacher at a time. Also, consider that it is God who teaches and not men, and men are never perfect. God teaches through imperfect men. For instance, in communist countries, people have even come to knowledge of Christ through the lectures of atheists who are attempting to prove that He never even existed, or through communist anti-Christian literature which happens to contain many passages of scripture!
I am merely pointing out that God can teach through anyone, good theology or not.

2007/5/29 16:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
If the disagreement is not on a salvation based issue…does their good teaching out weigh their bad?

Well... there is an off chance that what we consider to be their bad teaching is actually correct teaching, but we havent figured that out yet.

I heard someone once say "Eat the meat and spit out the bones." I think thats ok to a point. Unfortunately in the church today there is a lot of flounder being served up. Dont know if you've ever had flounder... good eating, but lots and lots of bones!

Thats the way a lot of teaching is today. Some truth, lots of bones.

I think if in your gut something makes you question if you should put someones teachings up on your website, then you probably shouldnt. Dont ignore that still small voice.

Krispy

2007/5/29 16:38
tjservant

Indiana USA

Thanks for all the replies.

I guess I am having reservations. I have been very blessed through this person’s teachings and ministry. The problem arose because of how a particular article by him was received here on SI. I never intended to post the article to my website…I only posted it here in order to present a different view of an issue already being discussed.

I have never had a situation like this arise. I have a lot to learn about being a webmaster.

I have often prayed for Greg and the SI ministry…I will do so even more now. :-)

Thank you all for your wisdom and advice.

2007/5/29 19:25Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

I think there is much merit to presenting different views when they are not harmful to the brethren.
About how the article was received- you know us, we are a very discerning people ;-).

2007/5/31 10:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
I heard someone once say "Eat the meat and spit out the bones." I think thats ok to a point. Unfortunately in the church today there is a lot of flounder being served up. Dont know if you've ever had flounder... good eating, but lots and lots of bones!

I thought it floundered because it had no bones. :-P

2007/5/31 12:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy