SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Bruising the serpents head

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Bruising the serpents head

Yesterday I killed a rattle snake. I was on a ten mile hike with my two older boys at a place called Graveyard Fields, which is on the Blue Ridge Parkway (North Carolina) about 30 minutes from the house.

We were on a mountain trail about 4 miles in when I heard the tell tale sound... I saw the snake, whacked him in the face with my walking stick and then crushed his head with the heel of my boot.

When we took a break on a ridge to eat our sandwiches and take in the beauty of creation, I shared with my boys about how these trails we were hiking are like our walk with Christ. The trails are very narrow... most of them were originally blazed by deer and elk. Some by the Cherokee. They are narrow, winding, and surrounded by forest and growth.

Because of the forest and growth, we can not see the dangers that are lurking just off of the trail. Snakes, bears, bobcats, etc. The key is to be vigilant, and prepare. When I hike I carry a walking stick and I wear my old Marine Corp boots which come up over my ankles (to hopefully avoid snake bites). I also carry a side arm. (especially right now because the bear population has been very active and aggressive the last few weeks... we had a freeze Easter weekend which has delayed the berries and things bears eat from growing)

When we dont plan ahead, and just go into the woods we leave ourselves open to all kinds of potential dangers. Just like in the Bible, we have to gird ourselves, put on the armor.

As we travel the trail of life, we need to contantly put on our armor to protect ourselves from the perils of the world. The Serpent is always there. But we can overcome him because Christ has bruised his head. There is coming a day when He will finish him off and crush his head once and for all.

Just as we protect ourselves in the physical world, and take precautions to be safe... we need to do the same in our spiritual lives. Yet... today... many Christians dont.

By the way, that rattler made for some good eating last evening!

Krispy

2007/5/29 10:41
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: Bruising the serpents head

We have read in scripture about bruising the serpent's head, didn't think about it being done literally!

But, yes, the Serpent is always there, always.

Thankfully, God is always there too. He will never leave us nor forsake us.

As for eating snake, double yuck!!!

God bless.

2007/5/29 10:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
As for eating snake, double yuck!!!

Dont knock till ya tried it... better than chicken! Little BBQ sauce... mmm.

Krispy

2007/5/29 11:12
tjservant

Indiana USA

Rattle snake…the other white meat.

Sorry had to say it. That is a great story Krispy. Nature is a great place to teach...and learn the things of God.

May I share this story with others? email? website?

2007/5/29 11:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
May I share this story with others? email? website?

Sure... just like the KJV, there is no copyright! LOL

Krispy

2007/5/29 11:26
ravenmolehil

North Carolina, US

Great story,
What a great way to disciple your boys,
I'm sure the truth they gleaned from your trip will not be soon forgotten...

2007/5/29 12:09Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Krispy,

Won't knock it, and definitely won't try it!

Enjoy.

God bless.

2007/5/30 7:09Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy