SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Some criticisms of the new layout...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
jordanamo

Some criticisms of the new layout...

It's too long. I have to scroll 2 pages to get down to where most people spend most of their time: the 15 recent forum topics.

Some suggestions:

1) Minimize the banner. (Must it be so large? I think this can be done.)

2) Removing this picture: (People can access the audio sermons from the hypertext, it's not hard to find, thus this picture is unnecessary. If you cannot part with it, make it much much smaller.)

I have more quibbles with the site. Such as the fact that the search system really needs work. I can't stand it. I try using Google (which is entirely better for most sites, i.e. go into google.com and search: site:sermonindex.net username-here) but apparently it's completely impossible to use that due to the site was made via "Who's online" to enter into the search engine each time your username appears on the frontpage or something on any given page, which it does apparently by default. It will give you thousands of results and you'd have to go through those to find the actual posts. (This is very very unnecessary if you're only showing 3 people and there are normally 5-10+ online at any given time... it's made it so that when you search your username, you'll get thousands of results, and you won't be able to see your posts... and there is no easy way to search a username's posts on the SI search function, which is bad too.)

Edit: A further recommendation. Emphasize the side menu. Move it up. Put the sponsors to the right hand upper side. Use the side menu for all of the main page menu... use scripts to allow to have the same features if you wish, i.e. clicking on it would open it up... I'm sure you could make that more usable. The main page as is is a gigantic menu that could easily be placed on the side. Emphasize the forum discussions. You can still keep some things on the front page, but at least minimize it from what it is now.

Jordan

2007/5/28 19:00Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Some criticisms of the new layout...

Quote:
and there is no easy way to search a username's posts on the SI search function, which is bad too.

Try this: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/search.php

2007/5/28 19:26Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
1) Minimize the banner. (Must it be so large? I think this can be done.)

This will be taken into consideration but the file size of the banner is not that bad, I do think it adds the "branding" and identity to the website being "bold" and "large".

Quote:
2) Removing this picture: (People can access the audio sermons from the hypertext, it's not hard to find, thus this picture is unnecessary. If you cannot part with it, make it much much smaller.)

That image was added to the website to give people a real sense of what the website is about. The audio sermons is the main reason for the website and the focus of the website. I have heard much positive feedback because of that image and its direction to the main index for the audio sermons.

Thank you for all your recommendiations they will be taken into prayerful consideration. As I do strive to make the website more functional and better for the glory of God.

2007/5/28 19:41Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Quote:
It's too long. I have to scroll 2 pages to get down to where most people spend most of their time: the 15 recent forum topics.

I certainly respect your opinion. But if I'm correct, the minimizing of the forum is intentional as the main emphasis of Sermon Index is not the 15 most recent topics of discussion but of Audio and Video Sermons preached by true men of God.

[edit] I guess you were a step ahead of me Greg...lol

2007/5/28 19:46Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

When I first become familiar with a website I often want what I consider lesser sections out of the way, but those very sections maybe important to the newby. The banner is not there for returning customers, it’s there to catch the eye of the first time visitor.

When I first found SI I never even read the forum.

Having said that, I understand what you mean. I would love to open a page with only the forum on it, but the site is not about what I want…it’s about reaching others with the awesome archive of text, audio, and now video sermons

Just trying to see through the eyes of a newby.

Just my 2 cents

**edit**

everyone was ahead of me. I type so slow I often change my mind before I finish.
:-)

2007/5/28 20:04Profile
jordanamo

Re:

Quote:
This will be taken into consideration but the file size of the banner is not that bad, I do think it adds the "branding" and identity to the website being "bold" and "large".

I am not talking about the file size... I am talking about how large it is considering how much it can be reduced. You can easily shave an inch off that banner without even reducing the sermonindex logo itself.

Quote:
That image was added to the website to give people a real sense of what the website is about. The audio sermons is the main reason for the website and the focus of the website. I have heard much positive feedback because of that image and its direction to the main index for the audio sermons.

You seriously have had feedback concerning that image? If anything it's the quote at the top their referring to. I am not referring to that part, I am referring to the images of a small portion of the preachers that are represented (and thus, it's rather a bad image if its goal is to reflect SI's speakers, as it doesn't even include Tozer, Katz, etc.)... it is not necessary to be there or at least can be vastly reduced.... As most people will know from the onset of entering the site that is documents vintage preaching, etc.

Here, I cropped the image to show you what I'm talking about via minimizing it:

Jordan

2007/5/28 20:37Profile

I can't believe what I am reading. Here is a man who is studing at a Bible College, tends to this website, no doubt in his spare time, and your complaining over that the page is too long? Unless you heavily support this website with your financial contribution, I suggest that you live with the changes.

The nerve, the gall, the audacity.

2007/5/28 20:45
jordanamo

Re:

"The nerve, the gall, the audacity" to offer fair criticism of the website to Greg, which I am inferring from his recent post that he was interested in? I was not lambasting it as being pathetic, I was giving fair advice on how I thought it could be made more usable.

I can only offer criticism of the website if I give Greg money? Are you serious? I am trying to help Greg out, and if you had read his reply he welcomed the criticism.

Jordan

2007/5/28 21:04Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

The nerve, the gall, the audacity.

Dear Brother,

Greg received Jordan's comments in a spirit of grace; so why shouldn't you?

2007/5/28 21:32Profile

Re:

I did read his reply. I would have responded the same way he had as the adminstrator of any facility would, with kindness and a thank you.

Don't take it to heart about the nerve, gall and the audacity. I was going to add a funny face to that, it was a Jim Carrey line from the Grinch. It seemed appropriate. 8-)

So let me add my suggestion since were all in the mood for it:

I think that the "log in" should be near the top of the page and somewhere under the SermonIndex logo. BUT, I am happy with where it's at.

2007/5/29 6:51

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy