SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sadhu Sundar Singh

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Everett

West Bloomfield, MI

Sadhu Sundar Singh

What do you know about Sadhu Sundar Singh because I am a little bit confused when I look at his writings and Jakob Boehme's writings and they are a wee bit similiar and yet he said he recieved his revelations from the foot of the master?

Now, don't get me twisted about him, I am totally thrilled whenever I hear about a muslim or hindu conversion to the chrisitan faith and I don't deny his experiences and works in life because he surely suffered much but I just want to gain understanding on the mystery between the connnection of Sadhu Sundar Singh with Jakob Boehme.

Now I know that Sadhu Sundar Singh read some of Jakob Boehme's writings but his thoughts and ideas came from the Master's (Christ) mouth in "At the Master's Feet" and Christ wouldn't regurgitate bits and pieces of what Jakob Boehme said concerning heaven and hell and the spirtual realm, now would he? Like for example, the whole DIALOGUE between a SCHOLAR,and his MASTER thing that Jakob Boehme made up is in Sadhu Sundar Singh's writings too, the whole parable-ness and comparing natural things with spiritual things are in Boehme's and Singh's writings and the idea that heaven and hell reside within you is there too. These three connections and many more made me rethink the direct revelations that he recieved from Christ.

Now, I'm not trying to start up some kind of rumor about him, I just want to understand concerning this matter. Despite this matter I am continually drawn to the life of Sadhu Sundar Singh concerning his conversion and his selfless life style. He was truly an example of Christ likeness.

Thank You

2007/5/28 12:20Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re: Sadhu Sundar Singh

All I know is that he had a big impact on Corrie ten Boom.

Jordan

2007/5/29 16:48Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
All I know is that he had a big impact on Corrie ten Boom.

And Duncan Campbell!

I do think he has been misunderstood by many, he is a mystic and not the convential christian speaker. He found much of the American church hyprocritcal when he visited. It is well worth reading his biography and works.

2007/5/29 16:50Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Sadhu Sundar Singh

Everett,

I just finished a biography of Sadhu Sundar Singh about two weeks ago... I started reading well aware of his odious connection with the aforementioned Deutschlander. He is however more frequently connected with Swedenborg an equally odious Swede.

Sadhu Sundar Singh didn't start his Christian walk with any relationship with either of these men. He had a Damascus road experience where Jesus came to him personally in a vision as he was about to commit suicide.

He lived his life this way because he had a personal experience with Jesus. Now the problem I see with Sadhu is he lived on such a higher plain than those Christians around him, that the only peers were people who also 'claimed' to have had visions...

Based on the fruits of SSS's life I believe that he really did have a personal contact with Christ, and he surrounded himself with more true disciples than crackpots.

However, when he went to Europe he found it to be a spiritual cesspool, and felt that Jesus was more easily accessible in India than in Europe. Because of his impression of Europe, I don't think he could relate to anyone that was anything less than radical.

As a Christian we know that radicals for Jesus come in two types... those who were really touched and called by Jesus and those who are demonically or self deluded into believing they are... and sometimes we can have a hard time distinguishing between them.

Sundar Singh's life bore much fruit and witness for Christ, unfortunately he was really trusting of some other people that didn't keep such great testimonies, but it shouldn't tarnish his.

2007/5/29 18:15Profile
Everett

West Bloomfield, MI

Re:

Yeah, I understand that about his great impact upon the indian society and the western. I wouldnt expect someone who searched all their life for truth and then found it so dramactically not to give his all for jesus but what i dont understand is - and ill try to make it more clearer - why SSS's writings are similiar to Jakob Boehme's writings since they are divinly recieved by revelation from Jesus Christ not man.

The Saul to Paul like conversion he had in which Jesus appeared before him to prevent him from commiting suicide and to turn him to the truth was literal right?

And the experience he had with the Master which is Jesus in his book "At the Master's Foot" is literal too right? He asked Jesus questions and Jesus Responded with answers.

Now what confuses me is that the words that Jesus uses to answer his questions are strikingly similiar to some of Jakob Boehme's writings. I would have thought that Jesus wouldnt repeat what a mere man said but speak his own words which is the Word of God.

Now i'm not saying that his revelations are not beneficial because the answers Jesus gave were very mind opening and easy to understand because he used natural things in which we know to understand spiritual things but i just dont understand why Jesus would regurgitate bits and pieces from Jakob Boehme's writings. Please take a look at Jakob Boehme's writings in "Of Heaven and Hell" and compare it to SSS's writings in "At the Master's Feet".

And if i'm wrong, please tell me that i'm wrong because i'm trying to understand this and not just see it from my viewpoint and not from somebody else's, that's why i posted this for people to broaden my understanding on whether I'm right or wrong and how i'm right or wrong.

Now I'm not saying its wrong to fed off of other christian authors to understand more and use their knowledge and revelation and wisdom in life and in your ministry but in this situation Jesus is talking not man and it seems to be his actual literal words in "At the Master's Feet" which confuses me since they are similiar to Jakob Boehme's writings and perhaps someone else.

Above all, i pray that God would give us more christians like that of Sadhu Sundar Singh who characterized a self determination to never turn back and give in to the world but would rather suffer in order to attain to the calling for which God called him.

Have a Blessed Day!

2007/5/30 12:56Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy