SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Imputed Righteousness?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
HomeFree89

Indiana

Imputed Righteousness?

What exactly is imputed righteousness? It would also be helpful to hear from people that believe both sides of this doctrine, what are the pros and cons?

I listened to a sermon in this topic and it wasn't helpful at all. :-( So, if you all could shed light on this I would greatly appeciate it.

Thanks,
Jordan

2007/5/26 12:50Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re: Imputed Righteousness?

Short version:

When a person is saved by grace through faith, God justifies the person by imputing the righteousness of Christ to the person.

This is spoken of in Romans 4:20-25. Imputed and 'counted to Him' mean the same thing. Notice that Jesus was "delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification."

Speaking of Abraham:
"No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22That is why his faith was "counted to him as righteousness." 23But the words "it was counted to him" were not written for his sake alone, 24but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, 25who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification."

When we have faith, by the grace of God we are counted as righteous before God. Not because our works are righteous, because because Jesus' were.

2007/5/26 14:16Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
What exactly is imputed righteousness? It would also be helpful to hear from people that believe both sides of this doctrine, what are the pros and cons?

Imputed righteousness is at the heart of the True Gospel.

Phil 3:8-9

Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,

9 And be found in him, [u]not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:[/u]
KJV

It is by faith that it might be by grace. This is the method God has chosen to make His people righteous by standing. [i]Imparted righteousness[/i] is God transforming us into the image of Christ by the working of the Holy Spirit. the one is a positional righteousness and the other is practical. They go hand in hand. ;-)

2007/5/26 14:38Profile
dohzman

see if this helps explain it for you

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imputed_righteousness

2007/5/26 15:04Profile

Re:

The doctrine of imputed righteousness is found in Romans 4.

"Imputed righteousness" in the text is synonomous with "justification" and "reckoned" and "covered" and "forgiven".

One who repents of all of his sins, has the forgiveness of all of his past sins, has forgiveness of all of the sins he has repented of.

This forgiveness is the covering of all of his past sins, so that he is now presently reckoned righteous; he is treated as if he had never sinned in the past.

Of coarse, imputed righteousness is never perscribed in the bible to anyone who is still in their sins, but only those who have turned from their sins.

If imputed righteousness were perscribed to those who were in their sin, why did God say that He saw the works of the Churches in Revelations, and called them to repent, instead of saying "I see the righteousness of Christ?"

If imputed rightousness extended beyond past sins, into present and future sins, why then does God chastise anyone? How can He chastise sins that He does not see? How can He chastise sin that is already covered?

Obviously, imputed righteousness is not the covering of present and future sins, so that God cannot see. But imputed righteousness is the covering or the forgiveness of all sins that are turned from.

2007/5/26 15:17
dohzman

Sin or Sins??

Brother Jesse, What is your understanding in the differences between Sin( singular- falling short of the glory of God) and Sins( plural- acts of disobedience toward divine laws set by God)? Just curious. Or maybe you haven't thought about it, but if you have or are now I'd be interested in your thoughts on that subject.

2007/5/26 15:34Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Imputed righteousness is the doctrine whereby a man is [i]declared[/i] righteous in God's sight because of what Another (Jesus) has done. To be justified freely by grace is not to be [i]made[/i] righteous but to be declared righteous...
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth [to be] a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;(Rom 3:24-25)
I heard Alistair Begg put it this way once; imputed righteousness is God giving you an "A" at the beginning of the course. You say, "but wait a minute, you haven't seen my reports or my papers yet!" God says, "I'll be working with you every day on those things but right now I want you to know that you've got an "A"".

In Christ,

Ron

2007/5/26 15:35Profile
dohzman

Re:

I like that! :-)

2007/5/26 15:54Profile

Re: Imputed Righteousness

Jesse mentioned

Quote:
"covered"

Apart from love covering a multitude of sins (Peter says) where do you find this in the New Testament?

2007/5/26 16:09

Re:

Quote:
"covered"

Apart from love covering a multitude of sins (Peter says) where do you find this in the New Testament?

The doctrine of imputed righteousness is repeated talked about in Romans chapter 4. No text so thoroughly covers the doctrine of imputed righteousness as Romans 4.

It says that [b]OUR[/b] faith is imputed to us as righteousness.

It is there, in Romans 4:7, where we read "blessed are they whose iniquities are [b]forgiven[/b], and whose sins are [b]covered[/b]."

Romans 4 uses [b]"imputed righteousness"[/b] synonomous with [b]"covered"[/b]and [b]"forgiven"[/b] and [b]"reckoned"[/b] and [b]"counted".[/b]

To have the imputed righteousness of Christ is to have all of your pasts sins forgiven, that is, to have all of your past sins covered, so that you are counted or reckoned righteous before God.

Quote:
Brother Jesse, What is your understanding in the differences between Sin( singular- falling short of the glory of God) and Sins( plural- acts of disobedience toward divine laws set by God)? Just curious. Or maybe you haven't thought about it, but if you have or are now I'd be interested in your thoughts on that subject.

Sin, in the general sense, is synonymous with self-will. It is the underlining principle to all "sin", that which all sin springs up from.

When a man's will, or heart, is selfish (supremely serving self) , it paves the way for lying, stealing, adultery, murder etc etc.

But "sins" would consist in the lying, stealing, adultery, and murder.

So "sin" is a state of the will, or a condition of the heart. While "sins" are the manifestation of that state of the will, the evidence of that condition of the heart.

But often I think that the distinction between "sin" and "sins" people try to make is unfounded. Sometimes when the scriptures use the word "sin" and the word "sins", it's simply the English language without any profound meaning.

For example:

Committing "sin"
Joh 8:34 - Whosoever committeth [b]sin[/b] is the servant of sin.

Committing "sins"
Jas 5:15 - and if he have committed [b]sins[/b],

"committeth sin" is singular while "committed sins" is plural, but both are deeds or actions.

Another example is:

SAVED FROM "SINS"

Mt 1:21 he shall save his people from their [b]sins. [/b]

SAVED FROM "SIN"

Joh 1:29 - Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the [b]sin[/b] of the world.

These scriptures are in essense saying the same thing; to be "saved" from "sins" and to have your "sin" "taken away" are identical.

2007/5/26 16:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy