SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where does American Christianity End?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Branded4him

Ohio

Where does American Christianity End?

This is nonsense I belive. If you are a man and you get bored in the house of God , then get saved for the love of God.

Many church leaders would like to do a better job reaching men, but don't know how, says a bestselling Christian author. But a new program isn't the answer, he's adds.

Related
250,000 Christian Men to Re-Ignite Old Flame
How do you attract and pump up men for Jesus on Sundays?

David Murrow, author of Why Men Hate Going to Church, suggests Sunday worship services with a masculine accent.

"Go for the Guys Sunday" is a newly released action plan for churches to take the first step to assure their service resonates with men, who are often bored in or absent from the pews.

Men are the world's largest unreached people group, according to Church for Men, founded by Murrow. They currently make up less than 40 percent of church attendants at a typical worship service. Murrow argues that services are built around feminine values with worship songs that are sweet and sentimental and sermons emphasizing the home, marriage and family.

Men need more masculine imagery and more opportunities for men to use their skills, he says. They have their own language, culture and unique needs.

Traditionally, a church that offers men's ministry hosts breakfasts, outreach and other programs. But when Marty Granger - who will be heading the upcoming large-scale men's assembly Stand in the Gap 2007 at the National Mall in October - asks if churches have "a ministry to men" rather than a men's ministry, church leaders often get puzzled.

"I say, 'Do you recognize the needs of men, do you actually work on your worship services and your programs being masculine friendly and masculine language?'" Granger would ask them. "Oftentimes, that's where the disconnect is."

Church for Men encourages a different approach. Although a men's ministry may flourish as men act masculine only in that context, when it comes to attending church on Sunday, men often have to "check their manhood at the door."

Rather than a separate men's ministry, Church for Men promotes the integration of a masculine spirit with church life.

A "Go for the Guys Sunday" would meet the culture and needs of men that Murrow believes have been ignored too long.

When hosting a "Go for the Guys Sunday," especially as Father's Day approaches, one suggestion is to decorate the sanctuary around a chosen theme – such as "Great Outdoors Sunday" – so men feel at home and not uncomfortable on cushiony pews with fresh flowers and quilted banners traditionally inside a church.

And shorter is better when reaching men. Church for Men recommends Sunday worship services be wrapped up in one hour or less.

Worship songs should also have lyrics that men can relate to. While hymnals are full of anthems for men, today's praise songs, Murrow argues, sound more like love songs. Men prefer upbeat songs and songs that do not repeat over and over.

Avoid the overtly evangelistic message, the organization recommends. The special service is designed to change men's perceptions, that it's boring or irrelevant, of church.

And the special service will not only pique the interest of men but also of women.

"Here's the wonderful truth about women: they are comfortable with guy things," argues Church for Men. And with one out of five married women worshiping on Sundays without their husbands, most women will gladly try something new in order to attract their husbands, sons and fathers to church.

Bottom line: give men some attention. "Men have been neglected for years. They're bone dry - but give them a little personal attention and they grow like mad," according to Church for Men.

Churches that have more men in the church (60 percent or more) are more likely to be growing than those dominated by women membership, a study by Hartford Seminary found last December.

"We're hoping churches will recapture the spirit of masculine involvement in the churches," says Granger

2007/5/21 17:28Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re: Where does American Christianity End?

this is very sad!
in His love
charlene

What is the real reason whay men are not coming and not leading? they need to be broken for their God, a man after God's hearts. God is Holy, we are to fear him.

2007/5/21 17:42Profile

Re: Where does American Christianity End?

OK... I'm sure everyone would love to hear my thoughts on this! :-P

Quote:
"Go for the Guys Sunday" is a newly released action plan for churches to take the first step to assure their service resonates with men, who are often bored in or absent from the pews.

I will agree that we should deliver a message that resonates with men. I think we should start with, oh I dont know... how about [b]the gospel[/b]?? Jesus had nails driven thru his feet and hands... and we're bored? Why dont we just spit in His face while we're at it?

Quote:
They currently make up less than 40 percent of church attendants at a typical worship service

I would rather have a church thats made up of 40% men who are sold out to Jesus than 80% men who are there because they think the entertainment value of the service is worth getting off their recliners for 1 hour a week.

Quote:
Murrow argues that services are built around feminine values with worship songs that are sweet and sentimental

I'll agree with him there... I dont like 90% of the worship music thats out there. Partly because of style, partly because of terrible theology in the lyrics. But thats not a reason I want to give to the Lord on that great and terrible day for why I didnt serve Him.

Quote:
and sermons emphasizing the home, marriage and family.

I really resent this guy for saying that these are "feminine values". I like to think of myself as a man's man... and I love my beautiful wife and my 4 incredible kids. I am totally sold out to them. Does that make me feminine? If so... give me a dress.

Quote:
Men need more masculine imagery and more opportunities for men to use their skills, he says. They have their own language, culture and unique needs.

Nothing more than the "seeker-sensitive" mentality that is killing the church.

Quote:
when it comes to attending church on Sunday, men often have to "check their manhood at the door."

Maybe at one of those sodomite churches, but certainly not at any of the churches I've ever been a part of. I dont know what he's talking about! Just because there are flowers in the sanctuary I'm no longer masculine? Huh?

Quote:
When hosting a "Go for the Guys Sunday," especially as Father's Day approaches, one suggestion is to decorate the sanctuary around a chosen theme – such as "Great Outdoors Sunday"

I know! Paint the santuary camoflauge!! And then the following week have "Go For Head Bangers Sunday" and spray paint "METALLICA RULES" on the walls!! Yea, that'll bring 'em in!

Quote:
...so men feel at home and not uncomfortable on cushiony pews with fresh flowers and quilted banners traditionally inside a church.

... yea, God forbid men be uncomfortable while they listen about Jesus being scourged with a cat-of-nine-tails, or Paul being beaten, stoned and shipwrecked. But wait... none of that stuff will ever be brought up cuz it might make someone uncomfortable. Dont wanna do that! Nevermind that in China Christian men are serving hard labor for their faith, and the ones who havent been caught yet are huddled in dark caves just to meet together with other believers... but we wouldnt want to sit on a pew that isnt juuuuuust right.

Quote:
And shorter is better when reaching men. Church for Men recommends Sunday worship services be wrapped up in one hour or less.

...yea, dont wanna miss kick off! Or let the Methodists beat you down to the buffet at Hooters! Ya know, if they had Hooters girls take up the collection... just imagine the money the church could raise for missions!

Quote:
Worship songs should also have lyrics that men can relate to.

Like "Freebird" or "Stairway to Heaven".

Quote:
While hymnals are full of anthems for men, today's praise songs, Murrow argues, sound more like love songs.

Wow... I actually agree with him on something!

Quote:
Men prefer upbeat songs and songs that do not repeat over and over.

... this is funny. I think the most popular worship leaders and song writers are... men.

Quote:
Avoid the overtly evangelistic message, the organization recommends. The special service is designed to change men's perceptions, that it's boring or irrelevant, of church.

If you're not going to make it evangelistic... why are you going thru all this trouble to attract men to your church???? Arrrrggg!!!! How stupid is this?

Quote:
And the special service will not only pique the interest of men but also of women.

...all the desperate single women.

Quote:
"Here's the wonderful truth about women: they are comfortable with guy things,"

Anyone notice that this guy loves to generalize people? His statement is true of my wife. She is the only feminine creature in a house of 5 males. We have 4 sons, no daughters. She has adapted well. She loves football and basketball and NASCAR... she's a better shot than me, especially with a handgun... etc etc. [b]But[/b] I doubt what he says is true for all women.

Quote:
And with one out of five married women worshiping on Sundays without their husbands, most women will gladly try something new in order to attract their husbands, sons and fathers to church.

He's probably right about this, but the issue is not attracting men to church... it's about getting men to give up their pride and surrender to the authority of Jesus Christ.

This article is just unbelievable, and it's just another example of the horrible effect people like Rick Warren are having on the church today. I was reading somewhere recently that now Rick Warren is saying in his leadership training program that churches should remove the alters, communion tables and [b]CROSSES[/b] from their sanctuaries... because they might make someone "uncomfortable".

Perhaps people like Rick Warren have forgotten that one of the biggest revivals in American history began with a sermon called "Sinners In The Hands Of An Angry God". Not very PC.

No where in the Bible do you see any suggestion that we should do what this man is suggesting. These jokers love to talk about when Paul went to Greece and he related to the Greeks on their level by talking about their gods. But they fail to mention that he also told them the truth plain and directly. Paul never shied away from proclaiming the gospel. None of the apostles did.

Whats going on in the church today is horrifying, and I believe it is ushering in the "great falling away" prophesied in scripture to happen at the end of time. And I believe the pied piper leading the "falling away" is Rick Warren. He is more dangerous than most people think.

This stuff is wicked wicked wicked!

Krispy

2007/5/21 18:20
bereangirl

Toronto, Canada

Re:

Hi Krispy,

I agree with you that this is just another flavour of a seeker friendly, flesh-pleasing church service idea, BUT what do we do about the fact that there IS a whole bunch of men missing in the church...the single 25 - 45 year olds.

Why isn't this demographic being reached? We, the church, and particularly the leaders, need to ask ourselves that question. I once heard on a radio program that according to statistics approximately 50% of the population is single and of that the split between male and female were approximately even yet this is not reflected in the church population( btw...this was a British radio show, but I would guess that these stats would be similar for North America.) I have been going to church for about 20 years and have visited most denominations and see the same thing...one single guy for every seven to ten single women.

What bothers me the most is that the leaders don't even blink at this. Though I don't consider myself "desperate" as the Lord has given me the grace to walk as a single woman, I do occasionally feel disheartened at what I see. And I know the pain and frustration of friends in the same boat. But it is like pastors out there don't even see this as an issue. And there is no acknowledgement of the quiet grief some single women who wanted a husband and a family but never did and now it's too late experience.

I would expect that the men should be reaching other men, correct? So, my question is, are they? I doesn't appear so.

Sonja

2007/5/21 19:17Profile

Re:

The answer is simple. Preach the gospel, it is the power of God. People will be attracted to the power, which is the gospel. That's all that's needed.

2007/5/21 21:54
swsojourner

Re:

But we still won't go to the church. I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one.

2007/5/21 22:20Profile

Re:

Quote:

swsojourner wrote:

But we still won't go to the church. I'm keeping my mouth shut on this one.

1Cor. 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. ;-)

2007/5/21 22:54
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
These jokers love to talk about when Paul went to Greece and he related to the Greeks on their level by talking about their gods. But they fail to mention that he also told them the truth plain and directly. Paul never shied away from proclaiming the gospel.

I have heard such things as the churches need to take out some of the flowers and add a deer head for the men because the decor was so feminine. I have to admit, I have never once thought about it before I heard that.

I am believing more and more each day that the very thing that our churches desperately need is the very thing many of these seeker friendly type men are trying to strip from the meetings; i.e. good ole' fashioned [i]Holy Ghost Conviction.[/i]

2007/5/21 23:08Profile
swsojourner

Re:

It's the quality of the men preaching the cross. Puff and protest all you want. We've been Dobsonized and MacArhurized to death. Look over the landscape. real holiness.

Karsten

Quote:
1Cor. 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

2007/5/21 23:24Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Quote:
It's the quality of the men preaching the cross.

This is where I chime in to say a lamentable, "agreed". I can't speak regarding MacArthur, I haven't heard him, but I can say this...

I am 22 years old. I was raised in a church, graduated from a bible college, and served as missionary and youth pastor... before I had ever repented and been converted. Not one man ever confronted me on the filthy music, corrupt shows, and idle idiocy I indulged in because they were all in it too. I don't speak with maliciousness, but with deep fear for many of them and great sorrow. I never knew a man that forsook his paycheck and vain, pleasure loving friends to please Christ. My pastor harped on the biblical ligitimacy of tithes, and never demonstrated scriptural tears over sin. I knew no one who fasted weekly, read for hours daily, remained pure from TV's pollution.

In short, the parade of men who lead and instructed me and those at my church and college were, it seems, (and I say again with fear) somewhat well-intentioned men who loved the pleasures of entertainment too much to know the power of the Spirit.

At 21 years old I heard Paul Washer, Paris Reidhead, and Ravenhill, all in one month. I repented and was converted. I received the filling of the Spirit and have pursued Christ with a new nature ever since.

Praise God for holy, simple men.

2007/5/22 0:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy