SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Long hair on men

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Long hair on men

OK... Every now and then I get faced with an issue that I never thought was a big deal, but then the Holy Spirit challenges me. Personally, this is not an issue I deal with because I still sport a "high & tight" like I had when I was a in the Marines. In fact, sometimes when people meet me they assume I make my living in law enforcement... which I dont.

Anyway, I was asked about this issue, and at first my response was "God looks on the inside", which is still true. I've known believers who had a pony tail who spiritually had it more together than many who made an issue of hair.

But in scripture we read: [b]1 Corinthians 11:14[/b] [i]Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?[/i]

While I dont see a definate command here for all Christian men to cut their hair short, it is definately implied that even in the natural long hair is not considered "normal" for men.

Matthew Henry, in his beautiful commentary on the Bible says: [i]He enforces his argument from the natural covering provided for the woman (1Co_11:13-15): “Judge in yourselves - consult your own reason, hearken to what nature suggests - is it comely for a woman to pray to God uncovered? Should there not be a distinction kept up between the sexes in wearing their hair, since nature has made one? Is it not a distinction which nature has kept up among all civilized nations? The woman's hair is a natural covering; to wear it long is a glory to her; but for a man to have long hair, or cherish it, is a token of softness and effeminacy.” Note, It should be our concern, especially in Christian and religious assemblies, to make no breach upon the rules of natural decency.[/i]

In America long hair, at least in this past 100 years, was a sign of rebellion (the 60's).

I'm not really sure where I stand on this. My goal is [b]not[/b] to run around and tell other Christian men to go get a hair cut. But if there is an obedience factor involved here, then I want to teach the truth of scripture (the whole councel) to those who may sit under my teaching. You know what I mean?

Besides, there is nothing more relaxing than hanging out in the barber shop on a Saturday morning talking sports... lol. Especially in the Andy Griffith town I live in.

Is long hair on a man a stumbling block? Is it a pride issue? Is it a "hanging on to the world" issue?

In today's rock-n-roll entertainment church, long hair and tattoo's are becoming the norm. Not juding anyone's heart, just wondering if we're ignoring something in scripture. Are we not ignoring seperation from the world, perhaps?

What do you all think?

Krispy

2007/5/14 7:44
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Long hair on men

Krispy,

Greg posted an article on this subject a few months ago written by Watchman Nee.Here is the link: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15891&forum=34&26

Krispy wrote:
Is long hair on a man a stumbling block?

I say: "Yes". Because, for one thing, it blurs the line of gender distinction. God made us all either male or female and called it very good. So why on earth do we want to blur this line of distinction? I experience a very uncomfortable feeling when I look at someone and have to look too much to determine its gender! Now this is not natural.

For some reason this subject always evokes strong debates. Since this happens, one should consider what forces are at work that evokes such strong reactions. Seems to me there is a whole lot more to it then what we really realize. Some want to dismiss it but fail to take into account this has been the common practice of the Christian Church for over 1900 years and in some places up to this very day. And if it is irrelevant why did the writer spend so much time teaching it?

ginnyrose

2007/5/14 8:38Profile

Re:

Quote:
For some reason this subject always evokes strong debates. Since this happens, one should consider what forces are at work that evokes such strong reactions. Seems to me there is a whole lot more to it then what we really realize.

I think strong reactions from both sides may be a result of pride. Sometimes some Christians want to make cookie cutter Christians... you have to look like this and wear that, and the emphasis is more on the extremities instead of the heart. On the flip side, some Christians dont want anyone to tell them what to do... even when it's quoted straight out of scripture. Or they point to Samson (which does raise an interesting point).

Sometimes pride is involved on both side.

Quote:
Some want to dismiss it but fail to take into account this has been the common practice of the Christian Church for over 1900 years and in some places up to this very day. And if it is irrelevant why did the writer spend so much time teaching it?

Whats interesting to me is when you see paintings of famous preachers from the 1500's to 1800's many times they had what we would consider to be long hair. Or sometimes they had short hair, but sported long haired wigs.

And actually, the writer spent very little time discussing hair. One verse quite particularly about short hair on men. I think if he had spent a considerable amount of time writing about it (as you suggested he did), then there wouldnt be that much controversy about it.

Krispy

2007/5/14 8:56
tjservant

Indiana USA

Is this maybe a cultural thing? I know the 60’s in America was a big rebellious time, but have other countries had such a problem with long hair being seen as rebellious or un-manly?

I changed the way I looked when I got saved. I didn’t want to look like the world I had just left behind. Nobody told me or mentioned a thing…I just wanted it gone.

2007/5/14 9:04Profile

Now Steven, You who've been in the military sure know how to pick your artillery. :-P. And then to actually set it off with, "What do you all think?"

Paul said: 1 Corinthians 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

Question: The source that he is talking about is from nature, but what part of nature?

Is he referring to Animals, or Vegetation? What part of nature is teaching us?

I have had longer hair, but not long hair, it never did touch my shoulders, however, I felt no shame in it. Besides, how can anyone feel ashamed of thick wavy hair :-P

Quote:
Is long hair on a man a stumbling block? Is it a pride issue? Is it a "hanging on to the world" issue?

Krispy, it could be all three, or none of the above.

The question that I have on this is, who sets the standard of length?

I know that when I see a woman with really short hair, from behind she looks like a man, er...a.. sometimes in the front she looks a man. :-P

Sorry guys, I am having fun with this post.

But no, I've seen men that I thought were women because of their long hair. So yes, in that regard it is a stumbling block. Guys who are believers who have very long hair (I mean beyond their shoulders) can cause a problem. People have this thought in the back of thier mind, "is this guy in rebellion", "is he straight". And who needs that kind of thinking going on. Guys who continually justify their long hair are being condemned by their own heart. To him, having long hair is a law, however with that law, he is constantly justifying it, thus being condemned. We who have received Christ are dead, we need not justify ourselves because we are dead and the dead do not justify any such matters. If we do, then we are not dead. And if we are being judged on it, then we should cut it down so that other believers are not stumbled by our pride.

2007/5/14 9:09

Re:

Quote:
I changed the way I looked when I got saved. I didn’t want to look like the world I had just left behind. Nobody told me or mentioned a thing…I just wanted it gone.

And is this maybe the issue? In the church today it seems the emphasis is "you dont have to change... you can still be 'normal'". In other words, the church today wants to make Christianity "cool", and so very few people are really chasing holiness, but rather looking like the world to show everyone that being a Christian is "cool".

But being "cool" is not what we're called to. You know what I mean?

You're outside change, TJ, reflected your inward change. And whats interesting is that Holy Spirit told you to change, not another believer. Makes me question someone who says they got saved, but they "look" no different. How much emphasis should be put on the outside?

People say "well, God told Samuel not to look at the outside appearance when he saw David"... but he wasnt looking at David's clothes and hair. He was looking at his stature and youthfulness. He was sure that David's older, bigger and stronger brothers were more fit for kingly duties. It wasnt the same thing. Scripture was not talking about David having a "wordly" appearance.

Thats just another fine example of ignorant Christians taking something easily understood completely out of context and twisting it to make it fit into whatever they want it to mean.

Krispy

2007/5/14 9:18

Re:

Quote:
I say: "Yes". Because, for one thing, it blurs the line of gender distinction. God made us all either male or female and called it very good.

Thats all sounds good in a nutshell, however, if this were true, why didn't men's hair stop growing at a certain length? Was scissors the very first thing that was created when they left the garden of Eden?

Who sets the standard of length?

2007/5/14 9:19

Re:

Quote:
Now Steven, You who've been in the military sure know how to pick your artillery. . And then to actually set it off with, "What do you all think?"

Actually, this is something I've never considered much. But now I just want to learn from folks here... really not trying to start controversy. :-)

Quote:
And who needs that kind of thinking going on. Guys who continually justify their long hair are being condemned by their own heart. To him, having long hair is a law, however with that law, he is constantly justifying it, thus being condemned. We who have received Christ are dead, we need not justify ourselves because we are dead and the dead do not justify any such matters. If we do, then we are not dead. And if we are being judged on it, then we should cut it down so that other believers are not stumbled by our pride.

Yea, thats good stuff.

Krispy

2007/5/14 9:28

Re:

Quote:
Who sets the standard of length?

Exactly... how long is too long? Personally, I think it should be short enough that you dont question it in your own heart.

Yet, on SI's homepage right now is a pic of the cover of Old Paths... check out that dude's hair. We look at that and think nothing of it, yet if he were here now today we'd all think his hair was quite long.

Why the difference?

Ginny... thanx for your post, and you bring up some good points. The Watchman Nee article was ok, but I'm not in agreement with most of his conclusions concerning head coverings. What I dont want is for this to turn into another thread about women and head coverings. Hopefully we can all stay focussed.

Krispy

2007/5/14 9:31

Re:

Quote:
on SI's homepage right now is a pic of the cover of Old Paths... check out that dude's hair. We look at that and think nothing of it, yet if he were here now today we'd all think his hair was quite long.

I never really saw his hair until you pointed it out. What I saw was a "father of the faith".

It seems that if you are important enough spiritually and you have effected alot of people, hair on these men look glorious, especially white hair. Do a couple of miracles and healings and your looks will be forgotten. (Not benny hinn style, I mean hands on silver and gold having I none miracles and healing). If you can get masses of people to repent, your outward appearance means little.
Quote:
Proverbs 16:31 The hoary head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

2007/5/14 10:09

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy