Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 A Letter From An Atheist

[b]A Letter From An Atheist[/b]

Eye Opening Insights

"You are really convinced that you've got all the answers. You've really got yourself tricked into believing that you're 100% right. Well, let me tell you just one thing. Do you consider yourself to be compassionate of other humans? If you're right, as you say you are, and you believe that, then how can you sleep at night? When you speak with me, you are speaking with someone who you believe is walking directly into eternal damnation, into an endless onslaught of horrendous pain which your 'loving' god created, yet you stand by and do nothing.

If you believed one bit that thousands every day were falling into an eternal and unchangeable fate, you should be running the streets mad with rage at their blindness. That's equivalent to standing on a street corner and watching every person that passes you walk blindly directly into the path of a bus and die, yet you stand idly by and do nothing. You're just twiddling your thumbs, happy in the knowledge that one day that 'walk' signal will shine your way across the road.

Think about it. Imagine the horrors Hell must have in store if the Bible is true. You're just going to allow that to happen and not care about saving anyone but yourself? If you're right then you're an uncaring, unemotional and purely selfish (expletive) that has no right to talk about subjects such as love and caring."

Life Changing Incident For C.T. Studd

One of the turning points in the life of Studd, diverting him to a life of missionary leadership from athletic fame and financial ease, was a brief tract. An atheist wrote the lines: “Did I firmly believe, as millions say they do, that the knowledge and practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another, religion would mean everything to me. I would cast away earthly enjoyments as dross, earthly cares as follies, and earthly thoughts and feelings as vanity. Religion would be my first waking thought and my last image before sleep sank me into unconsciousness. I should labour in its cause alone. I would take thought for the morrow of Eternity alone. I would esteem one soul gained for heaven worth a life of suffering. Earthly consequences should never stay my hand nor seal my lips. Earth—its joys and its griefs—would occupy no moment of my thoughts. I would strive to look upon Eternity alone and on the immortal souls around me soon to be everlastingly happy or everlastingly miserable. I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out of season, and my text would be, ‘What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his soul?’“

Whether or not this was composed in mockery of the church, we do know that Studd, who captained the cricket team of Cambridge in his last year (1883), ranks as one of the greatest athletes that England has ever known. With his two brothers he established a record never yet matched at the University of Cambridge, each of them serving as captain of the cricket team in successive years. And with six other distinguished young men, C. T. Studd formed the well-known “Cambridge Seven” that went out to China on missionary service. Ten years afterwards Studd was touring the American universities at the start of the famous Student Volunteer movement of this land. In 1910 once again he commanded attention by starting to evangelize the largest unreached mission field of Africa. And to think that an atheist helped to point the way! “The children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light,” our Lord said.

Does the present generation of believers need the same kind of awakening as Studd? In the opinion of many, Satan is lulling the church into a sense of contentment and relaxation today, so far as the great essentials of the Faith are concerned, hiding from vision, for example, the primary task to reach the ends of the earth with Christ’s message. The Evil One knows by long experience how to circumscribe thought, so that all our concern focuses on the local congregation and denomination as if the church was needing our support rather than lending us all our support in virtue of its own inherent strength, born of God. In some cases today, too, the Enemy sidetracks conservative Christians by promoting useless controversy (whether with true or false brethren, it really makes little difference in the end). He can even halt the progress of world evangelization by getting us occupied with church union, since that often amounts to no more than far-fetched, impractical plans for organization and administration. It is not difficult to bury oneself under statistics and the burden of committee meetings, harmonizing activities of one sort or another. Not that all of this is uncalled for, but simply that basic things may not be kept foremost, putting first what Christ Himself placed first.

To be sure, our own house must be put in order before those outside can be proffered aid. But let it never be forgotten that a worldwide ministry will prove a blessing in the meantime, as a definite means to the end that the church at home be revived. Experience will testify to this. Outside interest, so far from weakening the home church, will divert into other channels what otherwise might be a rising tide of selfishness with its attendant bickering.

2007/5/11 13:17Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: A Letter From An Atheist

Wow! Thank you for including this, Greg.

The other night, my wife and I watched the [i]Nightline[/i] special concerning the Ray Comfort/atheist debate. On the same program, a segment was shown where atheists were video recording themselves "blaspheming" the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. These are then posted on a website for public display. I wept as I watched this. This world is going to Hell in a handbasket -- so much so that people are televising their own blasphemy in order to have a "liberating" experience! God help the Church to realize the condition of this world!

May God raise us up to make the Kingdom of Hell tremble!

:-(

2007/5/11 13:30Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re: A Letter From An Atheist

While I used to think this letter from an atheist was amazing at one time, I since changed my mind. I'd like to tell what I think about it, but I really really hope that no one takes this the wrong way, I know this is really popular.
The reason I've changed my mind about it is this...
It is never hard to see what is true. It is never hard to figure out what is the correct response to a situation. The atheist knew enough about Christianity to know what a Christian "should do".
However, these writings, with their condemnation and emphasis on guilt, should not be used as inspiration for good works. God does have a habit of using evil for good. He did it when He saved us from sin. He is that good.
However, it doesn't mean that these atheistic writings are something we should show as though they help us. God doesn't desire us to do works out of guilt. He doesn't want us to do works because an atheist might show us up. He doesn't want us to do works because we logically decide that we should! He wants us to serve Him with love and joy... living with the life He gives, burdened with the burden He lays.
We already know that even as Christians we don't always do what we "should". However, we are under grace, and instead of doing works because of guilt we are supposed to do works by abiding in Him more and trying to become more like Him. Works done in guilt are "dead works."- life did not inspire them. The Bible shows us how we should be much more than any atheist could imagine. We know we are often selfish... but we also know the power of our God! He sends His Holy Spirit into our world searching for humble hearts. We pray and we know He works even where we can't personally run.
I think the atheistic writing that C.T. Studd read was a bit different though. I'm reacting to the more contemporary one before the article.
I have explained my view poorly... I hope God blesses you who read though.

2007/5/11 19:38Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I do believe this letter is the original one that C.T. Studd read and was inpired to leave all for Christ and be totally sold out for Him on the mission field for the "rest" of his entire life.

In the modern church right now we know little or sacrifice, pain, privation or suffering for Christ. To be saved by grace does not lessen the work of God and lessen the impact it should have on our lifes.

I encourage you to read this article where I touch on grace and listen to these 2 sermons:

[b]WORLDLY SAINTS by Greg Gordon[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13225&forum=16&10

[b]Reality in the Christian Life by Zac Poonen[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=4272

[b]Playing At Soldiers by George Verwer[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=14626

2007/5/11 20:02Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
In the modern church right now we know little or sacrifice, pain, privation or suffering for Christ. To be saved by grace does not lessen the work of God and lessen the impact it should have on our lifes.

Amen.

2007/5/11 20:11Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

I'm confused. The letter included within the article addresses a radically different subject matter than the one before it, the one I was addressing. The one before it I've seen posted all throughout email chains and MySpace bulletins, the latter I have not. The latter speaks of belief in heaven, the former of unbelievers going to hell.
I haven't listened to Playing At Soldiers but I have enjoyed the other two recommended links previously. It is actually one of Zac Poonen's points (in another sermon) that made me take a second look at the merit of that atheist's writing to us.

2007/5/11 21:02Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:
While I used to think this letter from an atheist was amazing at one time, I since changed my mind. I'd like to tell what I think about it, but I really really hope that no one takes this the wrong way, I know this is really popular.
The reason I've changed my mind about it is this...
It is never hard to see what is true. It is never hard to figure out what is the correct response to a situation. The atheist knew enough about Christianity to know what a Christian "should do".
However, these writings, with their condemnation and emphasis on guilt, should not be used as inspiration for good works. God does have a habit of using evil for good. He did it when He saved us from sin. He is that good.
However, it doesn't mean that these atheistic writings are something we should show as though they help us. God doesn't desire us to do works out of guilt. He doesn't want us to do works because an atheist might show us up. He doesn't want us to do works because we logically decide that we should! He wants us to serve Him with love and joy... living with the life He gives, burdened with the burden He lays.
We already know that even as Christians we don't always do what we "should". However, we are under grace, and instead of doing works because of guilt we are supposed to do works by abiding in Him more and trying to become more like Him. Works done in guilt are "dead works."- life did not inspire them. The Bible shows us how we should be much more than any atheist could imagine. We know we are often selfish... but we also know the power of our God! He sends His Holy Spirit into our world searching for humble hearts. We pray and we know He works even where we can't personally run.
I think the atheistic writing that C.T. Studd read was a bit different though. I'm reacting to the more contemporary one before the article.
I have explained my view poorly... I hope God blesses you who read though.

I agree with HopePurifies.

2007/5/11 21:02Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
“Did I firmly believe, as millions say they do, that the knowledge and practice of religion in this life influences destiny in another, religion would mean everything to me. I would cast away earthly enjoyments as dross, earthly cares as follies, and earthly thoughts and feelings as vanity. Religion would be my first waking thought and my last image before sleep sank me into unconsciousness. I should labour in its cause alone. I would take thought for the morrow of Eternity alone. I would esteem one soul gained for heaven worth a life of suffering. Earthly consequences should never stay my hand nor seal my lips. Earth—its joys and its griefs—would occupy no moment of my thoughts. I would strive to look upon Eternity alone and on the immortal souls around me soon to be everlastingly happy or everlastingly miserable. I would go forth to the world and preach to it in season and out of season, and my text would be, ‘What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his soul?’“

Please point out the parts of the letter that are not biblical here. All of the precepts and hard sayings in this letter are derived from the Scriptures. Truly God is looking for a people "completely" sold out to Him. We are not to be spiritual adulterers or hyprocrites but of those that give all to Jesus. May we have our focus on eternity alone! Colossians 3:1-10 is a good passage to compare to this letter.

2007/5/11 21:06Profile
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

Quote:
To be saved by grace does not lessen the work of God and lessen the impact it should have on our lifes.

Oh my! did you think that's what I was saying?
I did not mean anything of the sort... I was talking about the basis of doing works. I was pointing out that good works are the works we do out of love and obedience to God. With so much love from God and reason to be obedient, we should be willing to suffer and do many many good works! On the other hand, dead works are those done by reason and logic, or guilt. That is Old Testament works.

What God did for us, rather than a condescending letter from an atheist, is what should inspire us to do good works for God.

2007/5/11 21:07Profile
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:
I think the atheistic writing that C.T. Studd read was a bit different though.

Yes, this is part of an email Ray Comfort received.

Here is a link:

http://www.wayofthemaster.com/atheistletter.shtml

2007/5/11 21:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy