SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : 1 Corinthians 14:1 - Gifts??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Do you think this means an absolute ban on un-interpreted tongues in a public gathering or is this 'silence' comparative?

No, I don't think the silence is absolute. After all, Paul says if no interpreter is present, the individual is still free to express his tongue unto God, just in a "silent" manner. And this silent manner would be loud enough so as to not dominate the meeting.

At my church, we often have times during worship where people pray "in concert." For those uninitiated in such a practice, praying in concert is simply everybody praying audibly at the same time. For some this is in English (well Ron would probably say we are praying in American), for others this is in an unknown tongue. However, I don't believe this to be confusing, because it is obvious the people doing this aren't doing it in such a way as to dominate or give a message to the rest of the congregation. They are simply doing it in a private manner. Their aim is not to be heard by others.

And I don't think Paul would have a problem with this. What Paul seems to take issue with is everybody attempting to give an utterance at one time, so as to communicate something. The problem in Corinth is that in many ways, they seemed to simply lack good manners. Thus, if somebody started to give a message in tongues or to prophesy, somebody else who felt prompted by the Spirit wouldn't wait their turn, and instead would simply jump in on the other person.

... more to come later (time to go to work).

2007/5/14 6:49Profile
dohzman

Re:

I have a great deal of reverence or respect for the things of God, for His ways, His gifts, etc... to read giberish as a discriptive is disrespectful of that which was meant to aid us pilgrams in our journey. BTW here's websters definition on the word giberish:- rapid and inarticulate talk ; unmeaning words.

Thats to me doesn't at all sound like something that might come from an All knowing intelligent Holy God, given to the children whom He loves as evidence of something as important as the Ressuection of Jesus Christ. I don't know , maybe you don't fully understand the reality of being called into the ministry and the tools (Words are the tools we employee) with which we expedite this calling. A minister is responsible for eternal souls of men and women and will someday stand before God and give account of the effect of ---words--and how they effected individuals for good or evil. I recommend a book by Spurgeon called "Lectures to my Students".

Quote:
Where in my statements have I ever called into doubt the doctrine of tongues? I fully believe in them and their modern day usage. I think you have misunderstood my posts.

I love God and His written Word. Therefore I am careful about what I write, say, in reguards to the things of God. You as a minister/student of the God of the Word need also to exercise some wisdom and rember that more than just a handful of christians are reading these posts. Now I don't seek to be hurtful to you Brother, however if this one incident serves to creat in you some carefulness now, it will turn to bless you for the rest of your life and service for the Lord and if you'll allow it to, it will make you a workman fit for God's service in the public forum. Things like respect, honor, love , can be felt by people who hear/read what it is we are saying.

2007/5/14 7:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I heard a description once of the women being held to silence in the synagogues by Paul, because, being seperated in the orthodox manner, women on one side, men on the other, women were getting up, and asking questions of the men, while the teaching was going on. And this was what Paul objected to. Women, so far as I know, have never been silent in even the most orthodox synagogues.

This is frequently given as an explanation for Paul's commments but there is no indication that the assembly in Corinth met in a synagogue or that they adopted this style of worship. His statements about women praying and prophesying would indicate that we are in a 'house church meeting'.

2007/5/14 12:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

to read giberish as a discriptive is disrespectful of that which was meant to aid us pilgrams in our journey.

I by no means mean any disrespect to the word of God. However, Paul's argument in 1 Cor 14 is clear. An uninterpreted message in tongues sounds like a Barbarian speaking. And in Greek/Roman culture where the Greek language was highly praised, to speak anything else would be our equivalent of "gibberish." That is, it is a language that we hear that doesn't make sense. It is unintelligible and of no profit to the hearers.

Now, in the eyes of God a message in tongues is not Barbarian or gibberish, for He understands them all. However, to people here on earth, unless God brings sense to the message, it will forever be lost to those who hear it. Which is why we need somebody with the spiritual gift of interpretation to tell us what the message means in our vernacular. Otherwise, to us, it will be gibberish.

Now, if this word gibberish offends you, stick to using the phrase Paul uses to describe it, "barbarian." However, "gibberish" in my opinion would be a justifiable idiomatic translation as today which gives a good sense of the word. That is my only aim here, so as to bring out understanding.

And I say all this as one who has been a Pentecostal for nearly 7 years, a graduate of Lee University's school of ministry, and present member of the Church of God (Cleveland, TN). This view is entirely in keeping with classic Pentecostalism.

2007/5/14 12:35Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
I love God and His written Word. Therefore I am careful about what I write, say, in reguards to the things of God. You as a minister/student of the God of the Word need also to exercise some wisdom and rember that more than just a handful of christians are reading these posts.

Fairly frequently in these forums I get on the wrong end of someone's aggitation so please forgive me if I interfer...

I am not sure what Jimmy has said which has caused you to think he is behaving inappropriately. Can you be a bit more explicit? or talk in over with him by PM?

2007/5/14 12:36Profile
HomeFree89

Indiana

Re:

My mom just found this article I had bookmarked after someone on here give it to me.

http://www.cfcindia.com/web/mainpages/articles.php?display=article07

Mr. Poonen does speak in tongues, so he's not anti-tongues and he handles this topic well.

Jordan

2007/5/21 20:21Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy