SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : King Herod's tomb is discovered

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
jordanamo

King Herod's tomb is discovered

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/05/07/israel.herodtomb.ap/index.html?eref=rss_latest]CNN[/url]

Jordan

2007/5/8 15:43Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: King Herod's tomb is discovered

There's a bit more [url=http://www.huji.ac.il/cgi-bin/dovrut/dovrut_search_eng.pl?mesge117861762132688760]here.[/url] A spokeman for the University of the Holy Land has questioned the identity of the tomb saying that they need more specific clues. Wait until the dust settles... academic institutions are notoriously jealous of each other's discoveries.

2007/5/8 15:57Profile

Re:

This is pretty exciting, if you ask me.

Think about... God doesnt need to proove that His Word is true. BUT, it's interesting to me that in these end times He is making it possible for science and archeology to proove His Word.

It just shows His mercy and longsuffering.

Krispy

2007/5/8 16:39
jordanamo

Re:

Don't mean to be overly-critical but this doesn't "prove" the Word as the very "Word of God".. Herod was a historical figure not much different than Caesar of the time and had been accepted by scientists. Nothing will ever prove the Word of God from archaeological findings IMO because you can only prove there's an historical basis for it-- not much else. It takes faith to believe in the Word of God and I don't think God is putting these archaeological findings out to try and bring the world back to him-- he is doing that with Jesus and His followers...

Jordan

2007/5/8 17:36Profile

Re:

Quote:
this doesn't "prove" the Word as the very "Word of God"..

Thats not what I said. I said it prooves His Word is true. i.e. ... there was a King Herod.

For a long time people thought that King David did not truly exist, but was a mythical character in the Bible (except Bible believers). in the 1900's archeologists began to unearth all kinds of evidence that prooved that yes, King David was real.

Archeology has proven time lines in the Bible, historical records in the Bible, culture in the Bible, etc. It doesnt proove that it's God's Word, but it prooves that God's Word is true.

Just like archeology has proven Mormonism to be a sham.

Quote:
I don't think God is putting these archaeological findings out to try and bring the world back to him

I think at the very least... God is leaving them "without excuse". Some will weigh the evidence and explore the Bible and come to faith. Many in archeology and science have. Josh McDowell is one person who set out to proove Christianity wrong, and ended up getting saved and having a powerful ministry.

Krispy

2007/5/8 17:47
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

One of the interesting things about archaeology is that although it doesn't 'prove' the existence of Bible characters it does show the authenticity of the Biblical context.

For many years Luke's Acts was deemed a pious fraud and not a very good one at that, but as time has gone on Luke's accuracy as regards people and place and culture has been proved to be absolutely on target. So much so that no one writing at a different period could have hoped to have got so many intricate details 'just right'.

Whenever the Bible puts a character in an historical or geographical context the subsequent archaeology authenticates the 'eye witness' quality of the Bible record.

2007/5/8 17:58Profile

Re:

philologos... you take my points and make them make sense. I so appreciate you, brother!

My way of communicating is so crude compared to yours. I guess thats the difference between you Brits and us Colonists, huh?

Krispy

2007/5/8 18:05
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

It's interesting to go into libraries that contain old Christian writings and read how liberal theologians made so many dogmatic statements against the scripture from archeology (say during the late 1800's-early 1900's). You almost don't even hear the subjects brought up to discount scripture now days. Why? When Israel came in in 1967 they and others began excavating all kinds of stuff. Yet.... many of those men didn't live to write a retraction. How horrible it would be to have cast doubt on God's word and 50 years later the word be utterly vindicated by some new finding. Makes me want to stand completely and utterly on the side of the infallibility of the scriptures.

2007/5/8 18:44Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
You almost don't even hear the subjects brought up to discount scripture now days. Why? When Israel came in in 1967 they and others began excavating all kinds of stuff. Yet.... many of those men didn't live to write a retraction.

There is a tendency that you get with critics of the Bible and with cultists. When you prove them wrong they never recant or apologise, they just move on to another topic. There is a quote from a Russian cosmologist which always impressed me with its honesty. He declared that cosmologists were "often in error but never in doubt"!

The Bible critics and the cultists don't have the honesty to make the same confession.

2007/5/12 15:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy