SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why did Jesus die?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
John173

Omaha

Why did Jesus die?

I'm not looking for long treatises here, rather I would simply like relatively short explanations of your perspective on what the cross was meant to accomplish.

In His Love,

Doug

2007/5/3 11:27Profile

Re: Why did Jesus die?

To satisfy Gods just wrath and His love for mankind.

2007/5/3 11:57
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

and he died for all, that those who live might no longer live for themselves but for him who for their sake died and was raised.
(2Cor 5:15 ESV)

2007/5/3 12:02Profile

For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Romans 14:9(King James Version)

2007/5/3 12:43
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re:

To save his people from their sins(Matthew 1:21)

For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. (Matthew 26:28)

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand. He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities. (Isaiah 53:10,11)

2007/5/3 12:52Profile
Compton

Re:

Brother, "Why" is a question that can address both the intent of God and/or the result obtained for man. (edit:"Why" must essentially be a statement of God's character and glory, and as such there are two ways to attempt such a depiction...by emphasizing the glory that is inherent in Himself, or seeing the exclusive glory that is inferred from His works. As David praised him, for His unfailing love and His wonderful deeds.)

I've always felt this scripture touches on both.

"For God so loved the world...that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life."

There are many, many other wonderful answers of course. Personally I feel the goal of agreeing upon one quintessential sentence here is simply much too confining to faithfully portray the character of God's heart, as well as the value and glory of the ressurection purchased for man, in what was perhaps the greatest visible demonstration of the Fathers divine nature in the history of the cosmos.

Still, the effort led to a wonderful meditation during my lunch hour, so I thank you!

Blessings,

MC

2007/5/3 12:58Profile
whyme

Re:

Compton says it well. The cross was the greatest demonstration of God's nature. His love, His mercy, His justice, His grace, His righteousness, His Holiness, His wrath, His wisdom and ultimately, to His glory.

2007/5/3 13:12Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

I agree with roaringlamb!

Jesus died because of our sin.

In Christ,
Blake

*edit:

There are many reasons as outlined above why Jesus died. They are all true. However, it is essential for the gospel that we focus on this issue of sin because of how a person will respond. When a person realizes that Jesus died because of our sin, the only appropriate response is repentance.

In Acts 2, Peter preaches like this. He boldly tells the people that they have killed God's chosen Messiah. In response, they asked "What shall we do?" Then Peter says, "Repent and be baptized."

It is essential to the gospel people know the death of Jesus was because of OUR sin.

2007/5/3 14:39Profile
John173

Omaha

The reason I asked this question is that I believe there is an integral element missing from the overall perspective of what the gospel message is. It is something I so rarely hear mentioned or taught about.

[color=0000CC]Matthew 27:50-51 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice, and yielded up His spirit. Then, behold, the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom;[/color]

[color=0000CC]Jhn 17:2-3 "as You have given Him authority over all flesh, that He should give eternal life to as many as You have given Him. "And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.[/color]

I find it of some interest that the word "know" is also used as a polite way of referencing the physical consumation of marriage, and that the marriage union is a type of our relationship to Jesus. Another word often used to politely refer to this physical union is "intimacy".

What I am essentially driving at is that I believe God desires to have [i]intimate[/i] personal fellowship with us. When we look at the gospel from this viewpoint, the scriptures begin to open up in an entirely different manner. Verse after verse begin to leap from the page.

It is my belief that this element of the gospel, and its lack of attention, is one reason our churches are so dead.

Just some things to think about.

In His Love,

Doug

PS: I'm not so much try to teach something here as to open this to discussion.

2007/5/5 14:23Profile

He died for me (and you, too, of course!).

2007/5/5 15:21

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy