SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Did Jesus rebel or submit?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
letsgetbusy

Cleveland, Georgia

Re: Did Jesus rebel or submit?

To the original question, Christ submitted to do all that the Father commanded Him, outside that He did all that the authorities commanded Him.

2007/5/3 5:52Profile

letsgetbusy said

Quote:
outside that He did all that the authorities commanded Him.

Are you suggesting there was, therefore, no conflict, and that He was able to submit to both simultaneously, without [i]not[/i] submitting to one of them sometimes?

2007/5/3 6:16
roadsign

Re: submit and rebel

Through Jesus' earthly life we learn that the most powerful way we submit to God and mankind, and the most powerful way we rebel against the forces (including rules/laws/traditions) that squelch the Good News is by being a light – letting the world see Christ in and through us.

"...to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ...
to MAKE PLAIN to everyone the administration of this mystery...." (shine, illuminate... )
Eph. 3:8

Diane

2007/5/3 8:20Profile

Acts 5:29, "we ought to obey God rather than men". When it comes to the crunch, and we are faced with a choice, then we have to obey God - whatever men say or do to us.

It's usually the [i]religious[/i] authorities that force us to such a point! The secular authorities usually couldn't care less as long as we pay our dues and keep the peace.

jeannette

2007/5/4 8:42

This question has been making my head spin, because I was around when 'submission' teaching became the vogue in the 1970s.... and perhaps it failed me (possibly a mild understatement), but [i]because[/i] my head has been spinning, I've been thinking very carefully about what I'm hearing on the matter from those I speak to off-forum....

LittleGift said

Quote:
When it comes to the crunch, and we are faced with a choice, then we have to obey God - whatever men say or do to us.

I agree. But there seems to be a difference between submission and obedience.

The father in Matthew 21 gave a command. Obedience was required. Look also at the context given to this story by Matthew.

23 Now when He came into the temple, the chief priests and the elders of the people confronted Him as He was teaching, and said, "By what authority are You doing these things? And who gave You this authority?"
24 But Jesus answered and said to them, "I also will ask you one thing, which if you tell Me, I likewise will tell you by what authority I do these things:
25 "The baptism of John -- where was it from? From heaven or from men?" And they reasoned among themselves, saying, "If we say, 'From heaven,' He will say to us, 'Why then did you not believe him?'
26 "But if we say, 'From men,' we fear the multitude, for all count John as a prophet."
27 So they answered Jesus and said, "We do not know." And He said to them, "Neither will I tell you by what authority I do these things.
[color=0000CC]28" But what do you think? A man had two sons, and he came to the first and said, 'Son, go, work today in my vineyard.'
29 "He answered and said, 'I will not,' but afterward he regretted it and went.
30 "Then he came to the second and said likewise. And he answered and said, 'I [i]go[/i], sir,' but he did not go.
31 "Which of the two did the will of [i]his[/i] father?"[/color] They said to Him, "The first." Jesus said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you.
32 "For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw [i]it,[/i] you did not afterward relent and believe him.

I'm still trying to fathom out how this is different from submission. ;-)

2007/5/4 16:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy