SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : i need help with 2nd timoth chapter 4

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
coolcap2007

i need help with 2nd timoth chapter 4

verse 1...he will judge the living and the dead..what does this mean?

verse 2..be prepared in season and out of season...what are the seasons?

and if anyone knows where i can find an explanation on all of 2nd timothy or other books in the bible for future reference plz let me know thank you...but i really need those 2 scripture meanings

2007/4/29 1:51Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: i need help with 2nd timoth chapter 4

Brother,

When in doubt it can be profitable to look at good commentaries:

This is from Matthew Henry's commentary:

Observe, I. How awfully this charge is introduced (2 Timothy 4:1): I charge thee before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who [b]shall judge the quick and the dead[/b] at his appearing and his kingdom. Observe, The best of men have need to be awed into the discharge of their duty. The work of a minister is not an indifferent thing, but absolutely necessary. Woe be to him if he preach not the gospel, 1 Corinthians 9:16. To induce him to faithfulness, he must consider, 1. That the eye of God and Jesus Christ was upon him: I charge thee before God and the Lord Jesus Christ; that is, "as thou tenderest the favour of God and Jesus Christ; as thou wilt approve thyself to God and Jesus Christ, by the obligations both of natural and revealed religion; as thou wilt make due returns to the God who made thee and the Lord Jesus Christ who redeemed thee." 2. He charges him as he will answer it at the great day, reminding him of the judgment to come, which is committed to the Lord Jesus. He shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom, that is, when he appears in his kingdom. It concerns all, both ministers and people, seriously to consider the account that they must shortly give to Jesus Christ of all the trusts reposed in them. Christ shall judge the quick and the dead, that is, those that at the last day shall be found alive, and those who shall be raised to life out of the grave. Note, (1.) The Lord Jesus Christ shall judge the quick and the dead. God hath committed all judgment unto the Son, and hath appointed him the Judge of quick and dead, Acts 10:42. (2.) He will appear; he will come the second time, and it will be a glorious appearance, as the word epiphaneia signifies. (3.) Then his kingdom shall appear in its glory: At his appearing and kingdom; for he will then appear in his kingdom, sitting on a throne, to judge the world.

This is from the "Jamieson, Fausset, Brown" commentary:

[b] in season, out of season[/b] --that is, at all seasons; whether they regard your speaking as seasonable or unseasonable. "Just as the fountains, though none may draw from them, still flow on; and the rivers, though none drink of them, still run; so must we do all on our part in speaking, though none give heed to us" [CHRYSOSTOM, Homily, 30, vol. 5., p. 221]. I think with CHRYSOSTOM, there is included also the idea of times whether seasonable or unseasonable to Timothy himself; not merely when convenient, but when inconvenient to thee, night as well as day (Ac 20:31), in danger as well as in safety, in prison and when doomed to death as well as when at large, not only in church, but everywhere and on all occasions, whenever and wherever the Lord's work requires it.

2007/4/29 2:09Profile

Quote:
what are the seasons?

To begin lets look to the Old Testament regarding seasons.
Quote:
Ecclesiastes 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

There are seasons that we sow seed, other seasons is to harvest. There may come a time when you need to sow seed 'out of season' and if you do be readily available to sow the word.

I am just skimming the subject, but its a starting point, others may have something more meaty to offer.

God Bless

2007/4/29 11:30
rowdy2

Southern USA

If a person is still controlled by their carnal lust then their own will is still on the throne of their heart and they are a part of the worldly kingdom and that kingdom has no part in the Body of Christ and that person is dead spiritual and a son of perdition and these shall go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into life.

If Christ Jesus has cast out the worldly demons of lust out of a person then they are dead to the world and alive in Christ Jesus and their will is in subjection to the will of God. They have been born again, made alive and became subjects, or vassals, of a different spiritual realm by a new way, a New Testament, and a new Testator, Christ Jesus. Your judgement is a continuing judgement called regeneration that through chastening and rebukes guides subjects to perfection and eternal life.

Matthew 8: 20-23
And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
And another of his disciples said unto him, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father.
But Jesus said unto him, Follow me; and let the dead bury their dead.
And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.

John 5: 24-30
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.
26. For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself and hath given him authority to execute judgment also, because he is the Son of man.
Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, and shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

2007/4/29 12:02Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
This is from the "Jamieson, Fausset, Brown" commentary:

in season, out of season --that is, at all seasons; whether they regard your speaking as seasonable or unseasonable. "Just as the fountains, though none may draw from them, still flow on; and the rivers, though none drink of them, still run; so must we do all on our part in speaking, though none give heed to us" [CHRYSOSTOM, Homily, 30, vol. 5., p. 221]. I think with CHRYSOSTOM, there is included also the idea of times whether seasonable or unseasonable to Timothy himself; not merely when convenient, but when inconvenient to thee, night as well as day (Ac 20:31), in danger as well as in safety, in prison and when doomed to death as well as when at large, not only in church, but everywhere and on all occasions, whenever and wherever the Lord's work requires it.

Yes, I think that is the right sense. At times convenient and not-convenient. One of the old preachers of Wesley's day was accused of preaching too much and he replied "I only preach at two times; in season and out of season."

2007/4/29 13:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy