SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : THE INTERFAITH CONVOCATION AT VIRGINIA TECH

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

THE INTERFAITH CONVOCATION AT VIRGINIA TECH

[b]THE INTERFAITH CONVOCATION AT VIRGINIA TECH[/b]

The following is excerpted from a blog by Jeff Riddle of Charlottesville, Virginia.

I am posting this to illustrate the paganism that has permeated higher education in America (and people, even Christians, wonder why we homeschool??):

[i]I watched part of the convocation at Virginia Tech from Tuesday (April 17) and found much of it to be very spiritually curious. How do you have a service of mourning with no clear commitment to belief in any particular religion or view of God?

The painfully politically correct service was hard to watch. Here are some reflections. Most disconcerting was the segment when four leaders from the religious community [a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew, and the Lutheran campus minister] were asked to speak. ... The Buddhist informed us that 'the message of all religious teachings is the sacredness and value of human life.' She also noted that 'we are born into this world with an inherent good nature' and 'we must restore our faith in humanity.'

The mainline Lutheran told the audience that one of their purposes for coming together was to 'drink deeply from religious streams.' Note the plural. The 'all is one' spiritual philosophy was the only view on display. He also affirmed what he called 'the sovereignty of life over death' but said nothing of the sovereignty of the God of the Bible.

The Convocation ended with a poem by Virginia Tech Professor Nikki Giovanni. This was one of the most surreal aspects of this convocation. First, this 'Black Panther' poetess came to the podium dressed as a man with a dark androgynous suit, white shirt and black tie. Her poem, 'We are Virginia Tech,' was presented in the oratorical style of a black preacher. She shouted, 'We did nothing to deserve it.' (Contrast Jesus' reaction to unexpected evil in Luke 13:1-5 and his challenge, 'I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.')

She said, 'We are better than we think.' [b]And she compared the human losses at VA Tech with a baby elephant losing its family to ivory poachers![/b] Wasn't the whole point of the convocation to decry the devaluing of human life?

When no preachers of the gospel are allowed to speak, I guess a woman poet dressed up as a man is the best a secular world can offer. ... The convocation was a fascinating look into what human-centered spiritual life looks like without all the encumbrance and strictures of the God of the Bible. As Jeremiah lamented in his day, 'They have healed also the hurt of the daughter of my people slightly, saying, Peace, peace; when there is no peace.' How do we find real peace? See Romans 5:1: 'Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.'"[/i]

Krispy

2007/4/27 7:41
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: THE INTERFAITH CONVOCATION AT VIRGINIA TECH

Sad times. I cry out to God for mercy. We are so far off the mark...I have nothing to say. Sad.

2007/4/27 7:50Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Scripture tells us that what we sow we reap.

Since, it seems, that God is not wanted in America, e.g. no prayer in school, get rid of the ten commandments etc, then no mention of Him, even in a time of crisis, should surprise no one.

With the underlying God out, man in attitude that is prevalent in the West today, the unsaved are getting what they are looking for, a world without God.

God help us. Pray.

God bless.

2007/4/27 7:54Profile

Re:

Yes, we are heading down the wrong road in this country.

[b]However[/b]... all is not lost yet. Make sure you check out my threads titled:

"Praise the Lord! North Carolinians take a stand for the Lord!"

...and...

"Victory #2 for Prayer in Jesus Name in North Carolina!"

Around the country, there are whole communities taking a stand for the Lord Jesus.

Krispy

2007/4/27 8:09
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Bogus...

2007/4/27 9:28Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

Nile,

Could you clarify what you mean by 'bogus'.

I don't understand.

Thanks.

God bless.

2007/4/27 9:48Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Sadly, our nation has yet to have the fill of its sin. Sadly, many will cry out for comfort in these times, but God will not hear them. This past decade has seen some of the worst tragedies and disasters in American history, yet we have not heard the message in any of them. God has even gone so far as to display them to us on TV and the radio for all to witness. Yet it is as Isaiah the prophet said, we have eyes to see, but we do not see, ears to hear, but we do not hear. God has put His hand on this nation and is attempting to shake us so as to wake us, much as a father attempts to wake His son from His slumber. But will we have it?

2007/4/27 10:09Profile

Re:

Quote:
She said, 'We are better than we think.'

Oh how we need interceding saints and preachers of the word standing on the street corner calling out the sins of the people...

As Spurgeon once said "Do something, Do something, Do something"

In Christ - Jim

2007/4/27 10:18

Re:

I dont know about the writer of this poem, but my Bible (and common sense) tells me that we are worse than we think! I usually think I'm pretty good... but the Holy Spirit has a way of coming to me and saying "Hey... look at this area of your life. The only goodness that you possess is found in Christ. Not you!"

Krispy

2007/4/27 11:56

Re:

Psalm 36
1 An oracle is within my heart
concerning the sinfulness of the wicked:
There is no fear of God
before his eyes.
2 For in his own eyes he flatters himself
too much to detect or hate his sin.
3 The words of his mouth are wicked and
deceitful; he has ceased to be wise and to do good.

2007/4/27 12:08

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy