SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : MUST READ: We Must Be Holy - J.C. Ryle....it's very worth the read

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Quote:

""""Be ye holy!!!! for this is our defence and weapon in the warfare we are in.
The man who knows this and has made himself holy is a warrior in the frontline of the battlefield.""""

How does one do this?

In Christ: Phillip

2008/3/5 1:21Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re: We Must Be Holy - J.C. Ryle....it's very worth the read

Quote:
It is in religion as it is in other things, "There are no gains without pains." That which costs nothing is worth nothing.

this statement reminded me of when david in 1 chronicles 21 says that he will not offer to God anything that costs nothing to him. but he paid full price for the threshing floor that he might offer to God something that cost him to do it. then it would be a sacrifice. you cannot call something a sacrifice if it cost you nothing.

phil

2008/3/5 10:39Profile
brodav9

Sylacauga Alabama

Re: another companion

in Matt. 5:8 we have a simular principle-- blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God. The heart is the seat of all spiritual activity and all operations of the human heart. If the Hply Spirit is Holy and he dwells in us. as in Ex. 30:28-29 if the things sanctified are holy and whatsoever touch them shall be made holy. how much more if he God's Spirit touches us will we be made holy. Jn. 14:17 shall be in you.

2008/3/28 17:17Profile
rometown

Lansing, MI

Re:

Psalms 111:10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

2008/5/6 15:53Profile
boG

Las Vegas, NV

Re:

Quote:
That which costs nothing is worth nothing.

Proverbs 20:21
An inheritance may be gotten hastily at the beginning; but the end thereof shall not be blessed.

Modern "easy believe-ism" disturbs me.

2008/5/23 0:32Profile
zenozac

Re:

read john 8 31 and 32 jesus said "to abide(stay) in My word, then you are truly disciples of mine: and you shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free".
First and foremost know what the word of God says. Prayer, worship, fasting are all important parts of abiding in Christ. But knowing the word, and doing what the word says, is first. Read the word and let it transform you. be careful to not let it be the other way around.

2008/8/12 17:56Profile
bucknallboy

Re: john 8 v31-32

I believe that in john 8v31-32 Jesus was as was his way drawing a clear distinction between those born of faith (spirit) and those born of the flesh.some received his words others did not,faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God yet some did not believe they could not receive his word because their pride disqaulified them from grace, "By grace you have been saved through faith and that not of yourselves lest any one should boast." they were all dead in transgressions and sins so how will the dead hear! unless they are quickened by the spirit(grace) of God.God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble, you cannot know the word and certainly cannot do it,nor will it avail in any way to do its full work in you lest you first humble yourself before God recognizing your utter dependance upon him to do the work that only he can do, jesus said that he could do nothing of himself. v47 "he who is of God hears Gods word." Gods word is spirit and cannot be received by those who have not been spiritually quickened, yes it can be mentally received but it will not produce faith, since it is impossible to please God without faith the one born of the flesh who has not been spiritully awakened is caught in a dilemna that cannot be resolved until he recognises his condition and humbles himself, "therefore examine yourselves as to wether you are of the faith." we have been chosen by God as a holy nation but we must have grace by which we may serve him acceptably otherwise it is flesh and is an offence to God, he "has given us all things that pertain to life and Godliness", That scripture tells me that His provision to us through His word, son and spirit are all we need to be holy and to walk in fellowship with him.Gods word is full of power and He has sent it forth to produce in us whatever pleases Him, and we know that it is faith that pleases Him.His spirit shall guide us into all truth and ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free.We have the son, O! I could go on forever speaking of the mighty works that he did and continues to do on our behalf but I fear I have already over egged the pudding, hope this is helpfull to someone.

2009/1/20 18:05Profile

Re:

I love J. C. Ryle. He and Torrey are two I turn to when I just need to rest my eyes on some good words.

Thank you for having them here.

2009/5/8 15:09
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: We Must Be Holy - J.C. Ryle....it's very worth the read

Great article! I was reading 'A New Birth' by Ryle, but got waylaid. I got through about half of this article and then remembered this passage, from Titus 2:11-15

Quote:

"For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ; who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee."

I've been busy with a study in the Gospel according to John, and got to the part where Jesus clears the temple. The word zeal, or zealous seems to give the same idea as boiling, gives a whole new meaning to the phrase, 'on FIRE for JESUS!'

Sincerely,
Eric.

Quote:

We Must Be Holy

2009/7/19 1:55Profile

Re: holiness - the real thing

Bishop Ryle wrote this book to oppose the teaching that was growing in popularity at the time, and producing revivals that is to say holiness teaching as understood by such as Wesley ie critical sanctification rather than gradual sanctification - critical meaning a crisis. Ryle was a believer in the later - that is - gradual sanctification. The excerpt quoted looks to me as though he was making sure that no-one could call him Antinomian however, he believed that one could not achieve holiness until death and that man will sin throught their lifetime. The holiness he spoke of was imputed and not imparted therefore not actual.

THE DESIRE TO LIVE A HOLY LIFE IS NOT THE SAME THING AS ACTUALLY LIVING ONE.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and a lot of what fires men to preach holy living is that they do not like to see the unrightouseness around them because it inconveniences them and offends their senses. These men look as though they are righteous but it is the rightousness of the pharisees. They tell everyone to be holy instead of looking within their own souls to see the hardness, judgmentalism and lack of love for their fellow men.

The way to know these men is to see that they do not tell others how to be holy, they do not light the path for them or have a testiomony of how they struggled with their own Christian lives until they found out how to walk in the path of rightousness. People ask them how to do what they preach but all they can do is to quote scripture showing no respect to the enquirer who is asking the question because he has tried and tried to reform himself and has failed and has sincerely tried everything he can until he becomes desperate. I see many ask how but they do not get an answer.

These teachers however, make that man more depressed as they act as though they have the answer and are more holy but it is a facade. If they are holy they will reach down to others to give them the helping hand.

Another way to tell these teachers is to notice that they take credit for their words, they accept the praises of men and accept the lifting up onto the pedestal instead of saying - get on your feet I am merely a man and the glory must go to God alone - I am a wretched failure. They steal His glory instead.

If you listen to them closely they will come to a point when they will say that no-one else is teaching their message - no-one else but them of course but they will not say this but by their lofty speech they will reveal their hearts of stone.

I think that Ryles book is one of the most dangerous that has been written as it leads men away from the light though having gained for itself great praise and Ryle is thought of as a holy man yet he was saying he could not stop sinning in this life and that the power of God was not stronger than sin.

If one wants to be holy then one should read of the men who said they had gained freedom from the presence of sin and there are men who could do that without contradiction.

Brenda

2010/3/11 1:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy