SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Miracles that follow the plow : Need prayer and godly counsel for job opportunity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Need prayer and godly counsel for job opportunity

Brothers and sisters, I need your prayers and godly counsel about a job opportunity that is before me.

I just got back from the 2nd interview for a job that I have been hopefull so far in getting. But on my way to the interview this afternoon I began to have some concerns about the nature of the job. I'll explain.

The main part of the job consists of walking around the downtown area here(in uniform) and assisting people with quesitons they might have about things in the area: shops, events, where is such and such, and things like that. When I first learned about the job I thought that sounded great. I thought of all the historic places and regular shops and resturants that people might be interested in and thought that would be a nice thing, to help people out and be involved in a sort of community service.

But today I began to wonder, what if they ask me how to get to the not-so-nice places?

What if someone asks me how to get to such and such bar? I'd be obligated to tell them.

Or worse, what if I'm working on the night shift and a group of kids asks me where such and such club is?

Or probably worse still...what if someone wants to know how to get to the [i]adult store[/i].

I would be obligated to tell them or find out for them.

I'm against everything that bars and clubs and so-called adult stores stand for. How could I in good conscience give people directions to get there??

What makes this even worse is I spend alot of time in this area sharing the Gospel. So the question comes to me: what, could I tell people how to get to heaven during the day and how to get to hell at night?

Even if these sorts of situations were not common, this troubles me greatly.

Financially the job is a great opportunity. It pays more than I've ever made, plus benefits and so on...

Please pray if you feel led to and above all that I would do only God's will. I do not want to dishonor Him. You all here are the only part of the body of Christ that my wife and I are closely connected with through contact right now, and I bring this to you as such.

Thank you very much and peace be with you,

Chris

2007/4/26 17:07Profile

Re: Need prayer and godly counsel for job opportunity

I am praying that God guides you in the path He would have you to take.

2007/4/26 17:42
tjservant

Indiana USA

You could always give the directions like this:

"take a left at the Church of God"

"when you see the cross, you know...the one Christ died on, take a right"

"turn right at the Good Will and then left at the Christian outreach building"

I am not making light of your dilemma...just thinking of ways to plant seeds.

I will be in prayer for this situation.

2007/4/26 18:15Profile

Quote:
What makes this even worse is I spend alot of time in this area sharing the Gospel. So the question comes to me: what, could I tell people how to get to heaven during the day and how to get to hell at night?

Hi Chris,

I do feel there are creative ways around this.... especially with the kids. I'm sure they are open to take on challenging questions.

If an adult asks you a question, you have to give an adult reply; after all, you are being (would be being) paid to do a job; but you will find you can add questions to your directions.

Also, you can pray for people, that they change their mind on the way. There are ways of telling them your concerns, also, which may put them off. Know your enemy. Find out more about the hellish places than the punters know, and maybe you can deflect some of them away.

But, I'll be praying. I'm sure the Lord can help you honour His name while maintaining the terms of your employment. A glance at some of the answers He gave the Pharisees, tells us this.

2007/4/27 6:19
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Chris,

I don't think you should worry about this problem. For this theoretical problem (which you may or may not experience) is something you could, in theory, experience with any job. And as with any job for any position, your boss would probably expect you to provide some directions to the place if you knew. And I think even if they should ask you for directions to some ungodly place, you should give them. I don't think there is anything wrong in that.

After all, for all you know you are giving directions to a street preacher, or a concerned parent who is going to snatch their child out of some place, or perhaps somebody is serving as a designated driver and they need to pick up a tipsy friend. And even if you knew that the person was going to such a place to do evil instead of good, that is not your responsibility. You could still give them directions, and be a witness to them at the same time.

2007/4/27 8:44Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re: thank you

I want to thank you all that responded to this and for all who have prayed, that I may add my prayers to yours.

I think I have a few days on this to continue to seek the Lord's will.

Thank you all very much.

God's love to you,

Chris

2007/4/27 18:06Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:update

Since I posted this here I thought I should update you all that extended your kindnesses to me in prayers on my behalf and in counsel.

After much prayer and pleading with God for direction I declined a conditional offer of employment for the job.

I was able to share some of my concerns with the employer and they were very understanding and thanked me for being honest about it.

So the search continues

:-)

Thank you beloved of God for your petitions to Him as this has not been easy. I covet them all the more now.

To God be the glory in all things, and love to you all,

Chris

2007/5/12 11:29Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re:

Dear Chris,

I'm glad you turned it down, and I believe that God will honor you for it.

And I'll keep praying.

Blessings,

Forrest

2007/5/13 6:05Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
I believe that God will honor you for it.

Amen.

2007/5/13 6:10Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Chris,

It is encouraging to hear of someone who took a stand for righteousness. God bless you, brother.

ginnyrose

2007/5/13 19:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy