SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A filthy, stinking bag of worms!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

A filthy, stinking bag of worms!

The following is by Martin Luther

"I desire above all things that my name should be
concealed, and that none be called by the name of
Lutheran; but of Christian. What is Luther? My
doctrine is not mine, but Christ's. I was not crucified
for any. How comes it to pass, that I, who am but
a filthy, stinking bag of worms; that any of the
sons of God should be denominated from my name?
Away with these schismatical names! Let us be
denominated from Christ, from whom alone we
have our doctrine."

2007/4/25 21:28Profile

Re: A filthy, stinking bag of worms!

Amen!!! Haha, we're such dummies aren't we?

2007/4/25 22:09
ForRevival

This is so true. By putting the name of the person who started the demonination as the name you are taking away the focus from God. When people look at a demonination they should think firstly of Christ. When names are put in fron then that person who started it comes to mind first not Christ.

2007/4/25 22:32Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

What's amazing though is that Luther's life failed miserably when it came to matching up with these words.

2007/4/25 22:52Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Quote:
What's amazing though is that Luther's life failed miserably when it came to matching up with these words.

I think a good many of the people we quote here on SI may fall into this same thought. When we are ressurected, we will no doubt be surprised about who we find is the greatest in His kingdom.

Fear God and not man...

In Christ
Jeff

2007/4/26 0:29Profile
roadsign

Re:

Imagine: What if Luther's followers had followed his request? Would Luther have become the "dartboard" (or saint) that he did?

It seems like a horrendous injustice to revere a person (above what is appropriate) and at the same time deny such a humble request. At least those Lutherans could have included "Filthy Stinking Bag of Worms" on their church signs. I'm sure Luther wouldn't have minded that.

I suspect that Wesley, Knox, and countless others would have also preferred that their names were not used on church signs.

Diane

2007/4/26 6:16Profile

We really can't help it. We name ourselves after some man because we want to tell ourselves and others our association. That is to say, I am associated with say, Luther because I believe in what he is teaching. So instead of explaining why I am a believer, I would say, I am Luthern.

Even our given surname is the same thing. Joseph could have easily been called "Joseph the Carpenter". Our identification rested on who we were associated with.

Joseph and Mary Carpenter.

It could go something like this:

Who are you?? I am Joseph's son, son of the Carpenter in Nazareth. Ahh yes, your Mothers name is Mary correct? Yes, you know of us? Yes I do. I bought a table from your Dad many years ago, as a matter of fact I'm still using it. Wow, small world isn't it? yep, it sure is"

2007/4/26 9:08

Re:

When I began doing street ministry with the homeless I noticed that everyone wanted to know what "church" I was from. God forbid that we allow men to give praise to our man made institutions for our good deeds rather then our Father in heaven.

In Christ - Jim

2007/4/26 9:24
ADisciple

Alberta, Canada

Re:

"Would to God that all party names, and unscriptural phrases and forms which have divided the Christian world, were forgotten... I should rejoice... if the very name (Methodist) might never be mentioned more, but be buried in eternal oblivion." (from The Works of John Wesley)

"I say of the Baptist name, let it perish, but let Christ's name last forever. I look forward with pleasure to the day when there will not be a Baptist living." (Charles Spurgeon, "The Eternal Name," Sermon, May 27, 1855)

...So, as we pursue "revival" these days, let us be awake to and aware of the implications of the "revival" God has in mind, and the shakings it is going to cause. For I believe it is far more than "revival" that is before us. God is going to answer the prayers of these godly men of the past, and many others both past and present (and of His own Son). He is not going to "revive" the Methodist church, or the Baptist church, or the Lutheran church, of the Pentecostal church, or any denomination, for that matter (although in his grace and mercy He has done so at times in the past).

But what He has in mind to do now is going to SHAKE the whole denominatinal system and bring to birth "One Body" in the earth, with One Head. "And there shall be one fold, and One Shepherd" (Jn. 10.16).

The Son of God is even now interceding for this at the Right Hand of God. "Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall belive on me through their word, that they all may be one, as thou, Father art in me, and I in thee, that they may be one in us, that the world may believe that thou has sent me. And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them, that they may be one as we are one, I in them and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them as thou has loved me" (Jn. 17. 20-23).

AD

2007/4/26 12:27Profile

Re:

When I was in the /Welsh Presbyterian church there was a little memorial chapel where Hwyel Harris (he was a contemporary of Wesley and Whitfield) had his base. Above the pulpit was a plaque with his profile on.

If he was the man of God he was reputed to be, I couldn't help thinking what he'd have said about "graven images" if he'd been alive to see it!

It could have been worse, they could have been called the "Hwyel Harrisians" instead of Welsh Presbyterians!

(and I bet most of you can't pronounce "Hwyel" :-P )

jeannette

2007/4/26 20:29

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy