SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hebrews 2:3 I have a question.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Hebrews 2:3 I have a question.

Heb 2:2 For if the word spoken by angels was steadfast, and every transgression and disobedience received a just recompense of reward;
Heb 2:3 How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation; which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed unto us by them that heard him;

Neglect not reject…right? Is this scripture talking about the ability to lose ones salvation? It does say neglect. You must have something before you can neglect it. I mean I can't very well neglect my neighbor’s dog...it's not mine to neglect, but if he gave it to me...then I could neglect it...right?

Does one need to have ownership in order to neglect? Reject seems to fit non-ownership.

What say you guys…and gals?

2007/4/23 19:21Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: Hebrews 2:3 I have a question.

The key in this verse lies in to whom it was addressed, most likely the Jewish converts to the faith of the gospel, probably for the church at Jerusalem.

But it is possible that it was directed to those not converted who were Jews, and that their neglect of salvation would be to their ruin, as indeed it is.

According to Easton's book synopsis:

(The Chapter of Hebrews)

[i]Its design was to show the true end and meaning of the Mosaic system, and its symbolical and transient character. It proves that the Levitical priesthood was a "shadow" of that of Christ, and that the legal sacrifices prefigured the great and all-perfect sacrifice he offered for us. It explains that the gospel was designed, not to modify the law of Moses, but to supersede and abolish it. Its teaching was fitted, as it was designed, to check that tendency to apostatize from Christianity and to return to Judaism which now showed itself among certain Jewish Christians. The supreme authority and the transcendent glory of the gospel are clearly set forth, and in such a way as to strengthen and confirm their allegiance to Christ.[/i]

Neglect does seem to imply ownership, but to have heard the Word, and then to turn from it is a neglect in my view.

Blessings,

2007/4/24 7:19Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Hebrews 2:3 I have a question.

The Greek word for 'neglect' in this passage is [i]Ameleo[/i]. We catch a glimpse of it's meaning in a familiar passage:

Matthew 22:4, 5

Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. But they [u]made light of it[/u], and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise:

We see here the consequence of their making light of what was said. 'To make light of' is the same Greek word as 'to neglect'. They went their way having rejected the invitation. How shall we escape if we make light of and reject so great salvation?

It is used again in Hebrews 8:9:

Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and [u]I regarded them not[/u], saith the Lord.

This is an interesting passage. The people did not do what God expected them to do- so He did not regard them. If we place the word 'neglect' in place of 'did not regard the' it would read... [i]because they continued not in my covenant, and I [u]neglected them[/u], saith the Lord[/i]. Neglected them? He did not speak to them prophetically for 400 years ending with John the Baptist. When you stop talking it's over. And God stopped talking to the people. I think what is important as a side bar here as that we do not neglect the Lord in neglecting prayer and communion with Him. I have heard it said that a person who does not pray is an atheist no matter what their religion is. God neglected Israel by His silence.

2007/4/24 8:26Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Brother Robert wrote:

Quote:
Neglected them? He did not speak to them prophetically for 400 years ending with John the Baptist. When you stop talking it's over. And God stopped talking to the people.

God did not neglect His remnant...

Luke 2:25 And behold, there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon, and this man was just and devout, waiting for the Consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit was upon him. 26 And it had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord’s Christ. 27 So he came by the Spirit into the temple. And when the parents brought in the Child Jesus, to do for Him according to the custom of the law, 28 he took Him up in his arms and blessed God and said:
29 “Lord, now You are letting Your servant depart in peace,
According to Your word;
30 For my eyes have seen Your salvation
31 Which You have prepared before the face of all peoples,
32 A light to bring revelation to the Gentiles,
And the glory of Your people Israel.”

Luke 2:33 And Joseph and His mother marveled at those things which were spoken of Him. 34 Then Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary His mother, “Behold, this Child is destined for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign which will be spoken against 35 (yes, a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.”

Luke 2:36 Now there was one, Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was of a great age, and had lived with a husband seven years from her virginity; 37 and this woman was a widow of about eighty-four years, who did not depart from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day. 38 And coming in that instant she gave thanks to the Lord, and spoke of Him to all those who looked for redemption in Jerusalem.

Man is truly lost when God neglects them. Likewise when we neglect God we are also truly lost...

Psa. 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul;
The testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple;

If we choose to not consider the light that has been given to us we find ourselves to be foolish...

Prov. 1:22 “How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.

Prov. 1:32 For the turning away of the simple will slay them,
And the complacency of fools will destroy them;

The complacency of fools are those that the writer of Hebrews warns.

In Christ
Jeff

2007/4/25 1:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy