Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Etymology Jesus Yeshua

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
lwpray

Sweden

Etymology Jesus Yeshua

Dear Friends,
I received the following letter today.
I am not sure how to describe how the one became the other and what position these dear friends should take.
Please, advise.
Lars

We are conducting a Bible Study in our area and we encountered a question about the correct name of our Lord Jesus Christ. They said to call Him Jesus is wrong because His name is Yeshua.
Appreciate if you could help us clarify this question.

God Bless,
Nikolai
Kazakhstan

2004/3/29 10:10Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: etymology

Quote:
They said to call Him Jesus is wrong because His name is Yeshua.

The New Testament writers didn't seem to have a problem with using the Greek form of His name, why should we?

In Christ,

Ron

2004/3/29 10:26Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re:

What is perfectly clear to us has to be described and explained to these dear friends, living in a cultural environment quite unlike ours. They are russians, which means any item can be discussed for weeks and months.
I am not that good at producing such an text.
I did not find any easily available on the web.
I hope for a sober text putting it right for them.
Lars

2004/3/29 10:34Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Jesus or Y'shua

I found the following article, not sure if this is what you are looking for but I found it interesting.

[url=http://biblicalholidays.com/Excerpts/god_and_jesus'_names.htm]God and Jesus' Names[/url]

In Christ,

Ron

2004/3/29 11:09Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

[b]Yeshua[/b]

I think it is important to understand first of all, that God knows who we are referring to whether we say Jesus or Yeshua.

The one thing different for Jews as opposed to Non-Jews I have noticed is that they have an great reverence for God's name. The will use the term Hashem to refer to the Tetragrammaton name of God (YHWH). Hashem simply means "The Name." Burach Hashem! "Praise the Name of the Lord!"

I attended an Institute for Jewish studies fome some years that was formed by a Messianic Synagogue called "Adat Yeshua Messianic Congregation." In those circles that is the name they use for Christ.

It is part of speaking the language of the Jews- in order to win them to their Messiah. Google yields over 170,000 pages for that name.

To be all things to all men you would say Yeshua when referring to Jesus to a Jew (in many cases). Jesus to us and similarly with every tongue and people.

I have done some basic word studies on the name, but it would take some time to go through all the history. There are a lot of issues that I am dealing with in Jewish Roots that shed light on the fact that there is a lot more Church history early on with the Jews in terms of names,people, places, etc. that we miss in basic Church history courses. We tend to dwell on the Church as it went west to Rome, when in reality there were Nazerenes, Ebionites, etc. that were the ORIGINAL church. The Jews were made to conform to a Christianity that was stripped of its roots completely after 135 CE. It is all part of the discussion and issues that exist now for why the Jews reject Christ. Many times they are rejecting our depiction of Him- more than who He is in light of His own personal life and culture.

All things to all men..... you'll need that name Yeshua.

God Bless,

-Robert

The info is on the net if just a study is desired.

2004/3/29 13:26Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: Etymology Jesus Yeshua

I am looking for a development of the following line of thought:

The name Jesus the Latinized, Anglicized name of Joshua. The New Testament was written in Greek in which case the name Jesus would be Iesous. When the New Testament was translated into Latin and then into English from the Greek, the name became Jesus. Other names were Anglicized as well.
Even in the scripture we see the change in names when translated from one language or dialect into another.

2004/3/30 3:36Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Son 1:3 Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee.

Paget Wilkes once told a story about a Japanese visitor to his home in London. The visitor paused in the hall, breathed in deeply and said "you have had a member of the Japanese Royal family here". "How do you know?" asked PW. "the scent" replied the visitor "only members of the royal family are allowed to wear it". He was right, PW had had a member of the royal family in his house that day.

Scents become associated with people. The quote above from the Song links a name witha scent. The consequence is that when the name is mentioned is brings a powerful memory of the scent, and the scent provokes a recollection of the person.

Jesus, for the English speaking world, is such a name. It has a unique scent and the name provokes a recollection of all His gracious dealings over a lifetime. 'Jehoshuah' will not provoke those recollections for most people. It may be historically accurate but it holds no scent.

A godly man was a great blessing to me in my early Christian years; I called him 'pastor'. He is now in his eighties and says I should call him 'Philip'. But 'Philip' has no memories and no sweet scent while 'pastor' brings to recollection a thousand kindnesses. I suggest to all that you stick to the name by which you know Him best.

It is interesting to me that the name Jehovah, Yahweh, YHWH, never appears in the New Testament, and the family name of Jehoshuah is permanently transformed into Iesous; even in Hebrews and James. Surely this is all part of the great opening of the gospel to all nations. He is no longer the god of a semitic minority group but of the whole earth, and the name of His Son is similarly accessible to all nations hence, in the lingua franca of the day, Iesous.

2004/3/31 2:53Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: Yeshua.

Thanks Ron your post is very helpful,I noticed that how in the film the passion how powerful the use of aramaic and latin is.Yeshua,and Abba and other words where good to see in context in the film and have enhanced the scriptures for me.Jesus,Iesous,Yeshua,there all lovely names to me!Get my drift?

2004/4/1 9:11Profile
rivers1051

Re: Etymology Jesus Yeshua

yes, we should call Him Yeshua, because names cannot be translated - only words are translated not names.

e.g Gbenga is a Nigeria name - it is not tranlated to something else because it is to be used in Germany, a non-english speaking country.

So saying Yeshua is Jesus in English (anglicized) is simply deception.

Let us be aware of the father of lies, that deceived from the very beginning.
Yeshua is Yeshua any where on the planet.

God Speed.
Rivers

2021/7/4 18:53Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

https://youtu.be/Mvd1yLeRWcs

2021/7/6 7:38Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy